Hey Cekrit (and all),

This question raises a really good point- how many of us would love to write for a living (it's our passion) but struggle to do so because it's a hard industy to crack? I work for a newspaper, so I do write for a living- in the non-fiction sense! And I feel very lucky to do so! I get to write for a living, and I love it.

You say you write a little on the side already, so I don't know how much of professional writing is new to you, buuuut... My personal experience is that getting into a lot of the career-writing jobs doesn't necesarily require a specific 'writing degree' as such. It's about what you can do, not what it says you can do on paper that matters. Many places I've worked don't even bother to check your diploma and so on- they're more interested in the quality of your writing and if you have fresh ideas to bring to the table or not.

If you want to break in to a writing field- in something like copywriting for instance- a good portfolio is the best place to start. Getting published online is a good idea; you can either contribute articles to websites for free (by way of building up your portfolio) but there are some pay per article websites and magazines out there. That's how most of the journalists and writers I know got started.

One good idea might be to start a professional website/blog to display your work on, if you don't have one already? Just check out a "101: How to Start a Blog" guide like this one to get you started, it's very easy and usually free.

I would also recommend that you get involved in your local literary scene as much as possible- attend spoke word events, literary festivals, poetry readings and so on. Networking is never a bad thing. You can also volunteer to take part in not for profit literary journals, mags and zines, if you know of any that are hiring.

Then just start emailing everyone you'd like to work for! Contact the editor/webmaster, where possible (usually you can find them on google/linkedin), and have PDF'd copies of your writing to send to them as examples of what you can do.

It's a bit of slog, but once you get your foot in the door, you'll find there are plenty of opportunities and directions to go in

Good luck! x