Would I regret this pen name/nickname?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably (a) a silly question and (b) in the wrong place, but I have a history of overthinking things so here goes.

I do not identify as female and therefore do not go by my legal name, which is a very feminine name. In person, I go by Rae. I introduce myself to new people this way; my coworkers and customers call me this; my family, bit by bit, is learning that this is my name now. However, my last name is a troche, and putting Rae next to it results in an awkward pause. It doesn't flow. So to help that, I've put my middle initial between.

Here's the thing: My middle initial is B. "Rae B." Sounds a lot like rabies. Sometimes this amuses me, but I'm to the point of submitting, and seriously considering whether I would want that to be my byline, for people to know me by that.

The alternative I've thought of (I'm not in any hurry to ditch my name completely) is to use my first two initials, "R. B." Harmless.

Is that a better option? Am I likely to regret using "Rae B." in a professional setting? Are people likely to make a meme out of it (I do not need my name to be a source of humor in another area of my life, I really don't)? The fact that I'm thinking this hard about it suggests to me that I should use "R. B.", if for no other reason than to set my mind at ease--but like I said, I overthink things.

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
What is does the B stand for? Perhaps using that might be better. A lot of authors have three names. Orson Scott Card for one.

I wanted to use a pen name but was advised to use my own. I did. My book is due to come out next year so we shall see. Fingers crossed but I think the real lesson for me was embracing who I am. I've always been really private and now I had to step out and be me.

Embrace who you are, whatever you decide and good luck with the writing.

Caroline J. Thibeaux

jj528

Registered
Reaction score
If it's "Rae B." and then your last name, like "Rae B. Jones," I wouldn't even notice that it sounds like "rabies," unless maybe your last name starts with an S.

You make an important point, though; if it's going to bother you to see "Rae B." on a published work that should just make you very, very happy, then I would go with "R. B." Your writing, and seeing your writing published, should make you happy. If you think that your initials will put you more at ease, then that might be a good thing.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you're already thinking about possibly regretting it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
When I read this post, all I could think of was this clip from "The Simpsons."

Even if you currently think the almost-pun of "Rae B" is cute or funny (which it doesn't sound like you do), the novelty would certainly wear off quickly.

The other side of that coin, however, is that "Rae B" is memorable and (IMO) kind of badass. I'd read a book by "Rae B." Plus, if someone recommended it, I'd remember the author's name without having to write it down. If your main goal was just to get your name out there, I'd consider going for it. Lots of artists have names that, upon first hearing, I thought were weird or silly (Lady Gaga comes to mind), but they really do help an artist stand out from the crowd, especially early in their career.

Imagine yourself 30 years from now, a famous, accomplished author with a dedicated following... perhaps as you accept an award. Would that future-you be bothered if everyone knew you as Rae B? If the answer is "yes," then don't do it. Stuff like that sticks, yanno? And even if your fans didn't make the connection, your detractors surely would.

An author name is like a tattoo. You have a looong time to regret choosing poorly.

ETA: Also, there ARE people who mistakenly call rabies "rabie" or "the rabie" (I heard it from time to time during my years as a vet tech).

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Is that R B with a surname, or without? With, I hope. Pen names work best if they are recognizably "names".
I'm also hoping it's 'with' a surname, even if that surname isn't the one you're using now. Just initials seems somewhat... coy? to me, as though you were hoping to be mysterious. (And, harder to figure out where to look on the shelves.) While R.B. Jones just sounds as though you had two very long names and was trying to be helpful. (I speak as the bearer of a very long first and last name myself.)
For that matter, I can't see a problem with just 'Rae', it's short, punchy and memorable. I don't think of rabies at all.
I feel your pain, though. My first/last initials are E.T. Oh, the humour from my co-workers when That Movie came out. My complete initials are E.A.T. which I am never, ever going to use, being fat to start with. (This is not self-fat-shaming. This is morbidly obese facts of life.)
How 'bout 'Rae DifferentMiddleInitial Last name'?
I would definitely keep the 'Rae', if that's the name you regularly use.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I think R. B. Surname would be good. Also, what's a troche? I tried googling and got lost.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
If you wanted, you could just omit the B. all together and just do R. Smith, or whatever your last name is. Might be a bit shorter, but because I have some potentially problematic initials as well, I've considered doing this with my own name.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure how you figure Rae Troche is such an unspeakable mess.......salaman rushdie must have a hell of a time getting people to say his name. Ditto to a smaller extent Neil Gaiman, Bentley Little, etc. ad nauseum.

There is no reason you can't be Rae B. Or R. B. But other than in your head, I don't believe there is any reason you can't be Rae Troche either.....pick what you like, you're making this far harder than it has any reason to be.

Last edited:

abrowne

Always Be Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would help to know what your last name is. Rae Carson, author of Girl of Fire and Thorns, is Rae followed by a trochee. Not all names roll off the tongue, and I don't think this one is especially awkward.

Yes, I would think "rabies" if I read Rae B. [last name]. I would worry less about whether it rolls off the tongue and more about if you like it.

And where are you in your writing journey? This is something you can work out with your agent once you have one, for what it's worth. If you're trying to make a name for yourself on social media or with short fiction, first, I see the conundrum. But people will still recognize you if you go by Rae B. [lastname] on social media and then publish under R. B. [lastname,] or Rae [lastname].

The JoJo

Licensed to chill
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, unless there's an existing published author who's also called Rae [insert your surname], then I don't see why that wouldn't work as a good pen name. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly unusual English surname, and so I plan to publish as just [first name] [surname].

Cekrit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I enjoy the name, if its pronounced like Ray Tro-shay than i think it has a very nice ring to it and is memorable!