dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If this was a poll the only 2 options would be, "Hell yes!" and, "Who wouldn't want to watch that?!"

-Derek

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. I loved Catherine's role in the series. But as a prequel? We know it ends badly. We know they didn't discover how to use the Stargate effectively, or interact significantly with any of the folks who are out there. We know that whatever knowledge & experience they did acquire got buried & forgotten, & Catherine spent most of the rest of her life putting the Stargate project behind her. So really, what's the point? Watching characters I like struggle to achieve death, despair and failure with nothing to show for it (except eventual vindication in a different series that's already years off the air) is not really my idea of a fun show. Stargate isn't like a superhero universe where there's always a big current threat to fight and another battle -- it was set up so that the active story STARTS with the events of the movie & the TV pilot, which open up the universe to our Earth characters, & everything that happened in Catherine's time was no better than a false start that led nowhere for decades. They'll have to do a lot of persuading to get me on board.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I would've rather seen Stargate Universe continued but without the Soap Opera BS than this but JMO

Me, too. If they'd asked me, I would have said no need for a prequel. But. I'm trying to be happy with what we're getting.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
No doubt it will be cancelled as soon as it gets interesting.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
It's like new Doctor Who things: I am nervously excited.

But I guess if they break things we can all just call it a parallel universe, so no problem?

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm incredibly pessimistic about this. As a general rule, I don't care about prequels, but this is one specifically makes me ask "what story could they possibly tell?". Langford never figured out the Stargate, never stepped through it until she was already grey. The clearest route they have to a story is to come up with something utterly implausible (that Langford WOULD have mentioned in SG-1), and then oh no her memory is erased, or she has to promise not to tell anyone. *gag*

Even if this wasn't its own subscription service, I can't see myself putting in the time to watch it. And as much as I love the Stargate shows, I seriously doubt many people will find it worth the money just to subscribe to a single franchise. Even if the reviews are stellar (I'd wager they won't be), this could totally fail based off the subscription model, and MGM will assume no one wants Stargate and shelve the franchise for another 7+ years. On the off chance it is successful, they'll take that to mean people want more prequels. Which personally, I don't. No prequels or reboots, I want a continuation.

So from my perspective, they're making something I don't want, with no sign in sight that I'm about to get a show I would want. :(

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with the pessimism above by various posters. If it's already on something I get like Hulu or Streaming Netflix or even mail order Netflix, I'll give it a try otherwise it sounds like the plot might be a soap opera version of a tax audit.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I would've rather seen Stargate Universe continued but without the Soap Opera BS than this but JMO
JMO? I agree it had too much soap opera angst

aleighrose

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aleighrose.webs.com
I hadn't heard that there would be another Stargate series. I'll give it a chance, but as others have said, I would rather they revive SGU and give it a proper ending than make a show about how nothing happened before Daniel joined the Stargate program.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe they're planning on Catherine as Indiana Jones ?

Obi-Wan Nobody

Perpetual padawan
Registered
Reaction score
The good news is that a new series of Stargate is on the way. Hurray for that!
But I am sceptical that a prequel focused on Catherine's life is a good idea.