Indie Pub Checklist

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
So, we all know the drill. Write the best book you can, the best query and synopsis, then research and submit to appropriate agents according to their specifications. I've got two novels I'm querying, am in the process of doing these things, and it doesn't take long through researching here and in other places such as Pub Marketplace to get a handle on who the real players are, but in researching small pubs that accept direct subs, for me, it gets a lot more confusing.

Of course I'm waiting for that email from an active agent that says, "We love it! More please!" But my tentative backup plan is to send to indie pubs that aren't going to drag me into a nightmare.

So, my first question is, does my approach make sense? If not, please tell me why, as I don't know a lot more than I do. But if it does make sense and you've followed a similar course, my second question would be, what do you look for in an indie publisher?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some larger publishers also accept queries or even unsolicited submissions. it will not hurt to make a list of your top 20 publishers and see how many don't require an agent. Even if you do get an agent it means you are ready to discuss where to submit.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've found a couple. What is it that sets the (for lack of a better word) better small pubs apart from the not-so-good ones? Is it distribution? I think some of the smaller pubs can get into a bookstore (is that so?) And is it a budget for promotion? I'm sure it's not simple, what separates the good from the bad, I'm sure there are a lot of considerations involved, but are those two of the most important?

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
in researching small pubs that accept direct subs, for me, it gets a lot more confusing.

I am in the same boat. I'll throw out a few things I'm looking at, and hope someone steers us both...

I'm looking at book covers and read-inside previews. If I could probably produce a product that I'm more proud of, with help from a paid editor and book designer, I don't send my ms.

I'm looking at how easy it is to buy books in the catalog--and whether the publisher has lasted long enough to amass a catalog. A few indies I've checked have shopping carts that produce code errors and links that don't work.

I'm looking at contract terms.

I'm looking at whether the publisher's website is geared to readers (rather than authors).

I'm looking at whether the publisher makes money from authors, rather than readers, which seems to reduce incentive to sell to readers. (The big three charges seem to be reading fees, contest fees, and publishing sevices.)

(I'm querying poetry, an area of publishing where lots of books seem to get published through contests, and reading/contest fees also serve a function filtering online submissions, but so far I'm loathe to pay such fees.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is no real reason to focus on small pubs per se. Some large and medium pubs and imprints should probably be on that list too. What makes a publisher good or bad applies to small pubs in the same way as large ones. Good contract, good packaging, timely payment, decent sales, distribution, expertise in your sub-genre etc etc.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Some larger publishers also accept queries or even unsolicited submissions. it will not hurt to make a list of your top 20 publishers and see how many don't require an agent. Even if you do get an agent it means you are ready to discuss where to submit.

Fwiw, it's generally better not to query publishers and agents at the same time. Or to query publishers before querying agents. Reason being, it seriously muddies the waters for the agent if you've already shopped the manuscript around to publishers. It becomes "damaged goods." An agent can't submit to any publisher who's already rejected it.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
what do you look for in an indie publisher?
The authors. There are writers who write full time, produce decent stuff I read, therefore the indie publishers they use are good ones. :e2bouncey

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I'll throw out a few things I'm looking at, and hope someone steers us both...

It's good to have the company. Thanks all, it's appreciated.

Veinglory mentioned "sales", and I see people over in Bewares and Recs speaking of good sales and bad sales, but I have to admit that I have no idea how to check sales for a book or a publisher. How does one do that? Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I never meant to imply querying publishers, just making a list to see the options. So if/when you are done with agents it is ready.

I get an idea of sales three main ways: ask the publisher, ask their authors, and look at Amazon ranks. Those with access can get some more direct figures.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I never meant to imply querying publishers, just making a list to see the options. So if/when you are done with agents it is ready.

I get an idea of sales three main ways: ask the publisher, ask their authors, and look at Amazon ranks. Those with access can get some more direct figures.

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. Just preparing for the next phase, if it comes.

Amazon sales rank, of course! Thanks very much.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I've never had any interest from agents, but did get interest from indie pubs. I try not to submit anywhere too terrible.

I feel very strongly that my first MS is a little weird and would be better suited to a small, niche publisher anyway. For the other WIPs I'd like to try the mainstream route again, when they're done.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gotten much either, other than a couple full requests. There does seem to be a world of difference between here and there.