• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Epigraph from the public domain

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to self-publish a novella, and I considered including an epigraph. The quote is H.P. Lovecraft's "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

It looks like the work that quote comes from is in the public domain. Does that mean I can use it as an epigraph without any concerns? (If not, where would I go to get permission for a quote like this?)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
Anything published before 1923 is in the public domain. This quote comes from Supernatural Horror in Literature, which was first published in 1927, which disqualifies it for public domain.

ETA - http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/literature/lovecraft/essays/supernat/supern01.htm

Oh. I found it on Wikisource, which said it was in the public domain: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Supernatural_Horror_in_Literature

Can't you just add a citation?

I was concerned you might need permission even with a citation for a quote used as an epigraph.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are some questions about Lovecraft's work, regarding what is and what is not in public domain. I would not entirely trust WikiSource for a copyright issue like this.

caw

Akudie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! May I jump in as well, as my question is similar and I don't want to make a mess by creating a new thread.

So everything that has been published before 1923 is in public domain? Then what about translated texts?
I am writing a novel that features either citations or entire poems at the beginning of each chapter. The poems are all from ancient China so way before 1923... but some translation may have been revisited in the recent years. So what happens in that situation?

And if I want to go with a specific translation, that I know is more recent, how should I ask for permission to use the poem? And is it a hard, expensive and quasi impossible process or something that could be done?

All advice welcome :)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Unless you are self publishing, include the quotations you want to include and let your publisher or agent sort out the legalities.

If you are self publishing, find a good indie editor who can look into these things for you.