bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you start writing?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Too much energy as a child. I could not fall asleep so I started thinking up stories. It became a past time. Later, much later I told some friends my stories and they suggested I start writing it down.
    That's how I got into it. I kept doing it until I was satisfied and showed some people my work and got some good reviews, so I kept at it. No one said, don't quit your day job at least.

I showed a client in the film industry my work and he ended up asking me to write a screenplay for him. I hesitated but he was persistent so in the end, I did a re-write for what he had. Don't know what happened to that but I kept at my novel. Getting good feedback was really helpful. It is was little daunting still, I kept asking people who were in the business to be truthful. It helped me improve.
    It also got me an agent and publisher. Happy to say my novel comes out next year. It's called The Dragonglass Bowl.

I have to say, I listen more to the criticism. It's easy to hear good things about your writing but it did not help me. Friends tend to be kind. Looking for someone I did not know as a friend was better. They are not afraid to tell you about the bad spots.

I think, looking back, keeping my imagination going was what helped me but I started late. Now I just love writing. I love to read as well of course and kept reading the genre I liked most.

It's been an unexpected journey for me but one I do love.

Caroline

I had the compulsion one day long ago to express my thoughts.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin glitterandbones's Avatar
    I was seven the first time I thought about writing. My primary school teacher gave us a project. We had to construct our own book of short stories and there would be a competition at the end of it all. I found it thrilling to discover a freedom I never experienced in real life on the page - words may have been confined to four corners of paper but my mind, the landscape was rich and sweeping and unlimited. Looking back I was pretty egotistical, manically so, and I thought the competition was in the bag. I didn't win and my fragile and pathetic ego didn't let me pick up a pen to write a story until I was in my twenties. Thankfully I have a much more grounded, humble head on my shoulders these days.

nurturing tomarrows criminal today PorterStarrByrd's Avatar
    Voices woke me up one morning and made me sit down at the computer.

Turned out pretty good but still needs a sit down with my editor for polishing. PM me if you want to read it (Historical fiction centering on colonial/revolutionary era with lots of other elements fitting into humor and thriller among others).
    http://porterstarrbyrd.blogspot.com/

http://absolutelyunofficialpac12spor....blogspot.com/

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
    Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
    some people have a hard time keeping up with the vanguard ... of course most of those are called survivors - PSB

practical experience, FTW SKDaley's Avatar
    I've always tended to live in my head and I've loved reading for as long as I can remember; it opened up all sorts of worlds I wanted to visit. So, around fifth grade or so, I started putting myself into the stories I loved. Or at least I tried to with varying degrees of success. In middle school, I was writing "books" for my friends to read, and I just never stopped. I'd like to quit, it's been a frustratingly long road, but the stories keep coming. At this point, I figure I'm a 'real' writer even if I never get published.
    Positive Obsession

I've always been a daydreamer and one hell of a bookworm. One day, almost out of compulsion. I thought: hey why not, I'm combining two of my passions!? After that it was just all a matter of refining things and taking away the many, many many impurities in my story and writing.

figuring it all out
    My very first book was 4 pages and stapled together by my mom. It was about birds taking a bath, and I think I was 6 (?) or something like that when I wrote it. When I was not much older, I got a special notebook where you could write a story on the bottom and illustrate it at the top, and I worked on it bit by bit until I was 11 or 12. It was called "Crazy Days with Rosie, Addy, and Mary," and I'm thinking about using taking these characters and remaking the story into some MG fiction.
    In review--Hotel 13
    WIP 1--Untitled absurd/psychological fiction
    WIP 2--Untitled mystery/suspense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12