AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you start writing?

Tim Sherren
    I had always struggled with English as a language. During grade school and even university, I avoided almost anything that involved writing or heavy reading. This was in part due to a LD. The legibility of my writing was poor, my spelling super, and my thought organization lowered my marks and teacher opinions about writing. This caused me to feel embarrassed and I shied away from it all. Then I found Hemingway' s The Sun Also Rises. I was hooked. It was the first time I actually enjoyed reading. The writing was simple and I could easily follow along. This snowballed into more of his work and eventually other authors. The strange thing is, after I continued to read more, I found that my writing ability was growing. This then in turn inspired me to start creating my own writing. Side note, I was a classically trained musician so I always had this urge to create.

Now I continue to write because it was once something I avoided and have now come to enjoy. It has made me a more confident person all around.

practical experience, FTW Jan74's Avatar
    Love this question.

I was in grade 3 when our teacher assigned us in pairs to write a story. I wrote the story pretty much on my own with not much help from my partner(which was fine by me, we are still friends to this day and she just let me fly.) I wrote a ghost story on foolscap paper front and back oh jeeze at least 8 pages maybe even more, it was very long for a grade 3 student. I wish I had kept that story. But that is my first memory of falling in love with writing.

"You fail only if you stop writing" ~Ray Bradbury~
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs" ~Stephen King~
    WIP Romance or Women's fiction, hopefully by the end I'll know.
    "If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word." ~Margaret Atwood~
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~Mary Angelou~

I was always telling stories in one way or another. I would write out these little "magazines" for my neighborhood friends--I'd copy out half a dozen of them. My best friend was four years younger than me, so I would tell her stories all the time, too. When I moved away, she and I would write stories back and forth to one another. I still have many of those letters . . . somewhere . . . I've moved a lot since then, so a lot of my old life is packed in boxes.

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Grade 2 assignment where you got to illustrate a yarn.

Mine was about two of my favorite stuffed animals: a monkey and a penguin.
    Vivere militare est.

I've been creating stories since I had an imagination, first with my action figures and stuffed animals, then paper and dice RPG games. I wrote a few things when I was in my teens, but nothing that caused me to take writing seriously. After college, I jumped from one online RPG to another until I came across one that I became utterly addicted to. It was a society-simulating RPG with no NPCs. Basically, you were in a fantasy world, surrounded by other real characters, and everyone contributed to the story. It was living, organic story writing, and I'd never experienced anything like it. It took over my life emotionally, until my things fell apart. I had to quit cold-turkey, and had this hole in my creative soul. The only way I could cope was to begin writing where the characters in the RPG left off. That launched my serious writing career.

I was always an avid reader and writing came easily to me. I would read every day and soon wanted to start writing whenever I could. I began when I was very little and over time I took breaks, but my passion never went out for the craft. I enjoy writing every single day, even if I don't always finish what I start.
    http://writersweeklyblog.wordpress.com

"Start writing, no matter what. The water does not begin to flow until the faucet is turned on." Louise L'Amour

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    i grew up in a place where people weren't in too big a hurry and would take time to tell stories to each other...and they were good at storytelling. sitting on the front porch kind of stuff. gossip. telling tales. lies. i started out trying to say things with drawings, paintings, etc, and then found words/stories were the best way. a lot of room on a stack of blank pages. i liked the freedom of it or something.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin thehansell's Avatar
    My best friend when I was eleven bought a Harry Potter book into school. Since he was about ten percentile points cooler than me in the school hierarchy I decided to find out what all the fuss was about. I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in about a week and it was like discovering a cave inside my head full of shiny jewels and fire breathing dragons. To me the power to blow someone's mind through stories and imaginary worlds became the single coolest tool in the human toolbox.

I've spent the last sixteen years figuring out how to do that.

I started with fanfiction in 2006. I loved it, but it always kind of bothered me that I was so in love with something that would never be mine. From there I really always had this yearning to create my own thing. Eventually I fell away from fanfiction and spent a lot of time drawing. I hung around social art sites like deviantart and there were always people with their own characters they'd made up and they had these elaborate backstories and then... there was me. Doing fanart. I continued to crave my own thing and never had any ideas, but basically I've just been hungering for something of my own, and always wanted to write even though I dragged my feet about it. Just waited for the right idea to come along...

I'm finally doing it now!

A cave. (I power the internet with my imagination)
    I dunno, I just started doing it, I guess. Didn't really like a lot of books that were currently published so there was that "if you want it done right, do it yourself" sort of thing. Not to mention I've always had a big imagination.
    Last edited by Odile_Blud; 11-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    I forgot my old signature. Guess I'll make a new one or something. Let's see...something wise...uh..."he who does not write...? Is not a writer?"

...Does anyone even read this thing?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123