bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Query Letter: Look ahead?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Query Letter: Look ahead?

I have written the first of what will be a series of books. In my query letter, should I mention that it will form a series? Should I preview where I see the series going, or stick to the content of the book being queried?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by avekevin View Post
    I have written the first of what will be a series of books. In my query letter, should I mention that it will form a series? Should I preview where I see the series going, or stick to the content of the book being queried?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    The general rule of thumb is to query one book at a time, and make sure the book works as a stand-alone. Adding the words "with series potential" to the housekeeping may be an enticement for an agent, but strictly speaking you should only query finished work.
    September goal: Produce a second draft: ​DONE ​and now on to the third draft!

THE COLD BETWEEN - Out now

REMNANTS OF TRUST - Out now
    BREACH OF CONTAINMENT - Preorderable - EXCERPT available HERE

author page | sporadically-updated blog | twitter | facebook

Get it off! It burns! Dennis E. Taylor's Avatar
    "Outgrabing the Mome Raths" is adult fantasy and is a complete novel at 86,000 words, with series potential for up to 99 books.

... or something to that effect.
    Formerly Angry Guy.

Speak the truth, but not to punish

---
    Website/Blog: www.dennisetaylor.org

I've heard opposite opinions on this from agents. One thing they seem to consitently like, though (which may or may not apply here) is:

"Standalone with series potential"

In other words, low commitment initially with the option to cash in if it does well.

If it can't stand on its own, I'd probably customize the mention of series (or lack thereof) per agent. If an agent mostly does series, I'd tell them that it starts a series. If they mostly do standalones and only occasionally series, I probably wouldn't mention that it's a series and hope that they got hooked on the story itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nahath View Post
    If an agent mostly does series, I'd tell them that it starts a series.
    I'm not entirely sure this is good advice. It's not really the agent that "does" a series; it's the publisher. (I subbed one book; it was the publisher who asked for three.) An agent that has authors who've published series isn't necessarily more likely to look at a book that isn't self-contained.

If you write something that has series potential, it can be a plus. (If you've started more than the book you're querying, that can also help you.) If you write something that can't stand alone (series notwithstanding), you're severely constraining your chances pretty much all along the line.
    September goal: Produce a second draft: ​DONE ​and now on to the third draft!

THE COLD BETWEEN - Out now

REMNANTS OF TRUST - Out now
    BREACH OF CONTAINMENT - Preorderable - EXCERPT available HERE

author page | sporadically-updated blog | twitter | facebook

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    I'm not entirely sure this is good advice. It's not really the agent that "does" a series; it's the publisher. (I subbed one book; it was the publisher who asked for three.) An agent that has authors who've published series isn't necessarily more likely to look at a book that isn't self-contained.

If you write something that has series potential, it can be a plus. (If you've started more than the book you're querying, that can also help you.) If you write something that can't stand alone (series notwithstanding), you're severely constraining your chances pretty much all along the line.
    +1

avekevin, take a look at Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work area. There are several sticky threads there loaded with resources and advice. You need 50 posts to post a query for critique, but you can learn tons by participating in the critique threads already there.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Thanks, everyone. The book has a self-contained plot but is left open ended to allow for much more with a bit of a cliffhanger/look-ahead at the end. "Standalone with series potential" sounds like an appropriate description.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    take a look at Query Letter Hell in the Share Your Work area.
    I've started, and it's already been helpful. There's just so much!

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    I've started, and it's already been helpful. There's just so much!
    I know, right?! If you wade around there long enough it starts to be less overwhelming and more familiar.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    I know, right?! If you wade around there long enough it starts to be less overwhelming and more familiar.
    Sounds a lot like AW as a whole, really.
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

here be all the query exercises

Aerospace engineer turned writer Laer Carroll's Avatar
    The book has a self-contained plot but is left open ended to allow for much more with a bit of a cliffhanger/look-ahead at the end.
    Absolutely HATE cliffhangers. Would throw book in recycler and remember your name so as to avoid it forever. You must handle the look-ahead very delicately to avoid hanger-averse readers.