Thank You for the Rejection

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I tried looking for a thread that answers this question (I'm sure it exists), but I could not find a single thing, no matter how hard I tried. So sorry in advance if this has been answered already.

When you get a rejection from an agent, should you send a thank you email? Only after they've requested a partial (or similar)? Or are their inboxes full enough without thank yous from writers they've turned down?

This seems like an opportunity to ask them to pass it on to any colleagues they think might be interested, but that may be bad form AND they might do that without asking. Thoughts?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've received a rejection, it's over. There's really no point in sending a "thank you" note; about the only times you should are when you're replying to an R&R or an acceptance.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The only time I've ever thanked an agent for a rejection was when he requested a partial and said I'd hear back in a month or so. When I hadn't heard back in 2-3 months, I nudged. He replied and said he'd sent a rejection that bounced, and he told me what he'd said (project with potential, but not for him, essentially). I replied with thanks to let him know I got the email this times.

Otherwise, you're just wasting their time.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've thanked those agents who requested my full manuscripts only. Certainly not query rejections. Agents are professionals. If they think it's something that should be passed along to a colleague, they do it without a prompt.

Best way to gauge agents' feelings on stuff like this it to haunt (or scan) twitter feeds. I've seen a lot of commentary on similar questions.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent a *very* brief thank you to a couple of agents who took the time to offer feedback. In today's world, where we're being taught to not even expect the courtesy of a form rejection, I'm extra-appreciative of those who take their time to offer me some insight. I would never attempt to start any kind of dialogue, but a short line thanking them for their feedback sometimes feels appropriate.