Got my first bad review on Amazon

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I knew sooner or later it was going to happen, but was secretly hoping it never did. Until yesterday I had 34 positive reviews. Yesterday someone gave me a 1 star review that says:

"Save your money, nothing you do not already know in this book."

My book is a self help book.

When I read it, my first thought was, "OK". I smiled and told myself I wasn't going to get resentful or upset :), and then I checked the woman's other reviews. It seems this is what she likes to do. She reviewed 2 other books yesterday the same exact way, and has a long list of 1 star reviews. While that helps me to not take it personally, it also gets me upset that people have to do crap like that. I'm itching to look her up on Facebook (she included her full name and wouldn't be hard to find) and send her a "thoughtful" message...

I'm not going to do that though.

Can anyone cheer me up a little? How likely is this to affect my sales?

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm itching to look her up on Facebook (she included her full name and wouldn't be hard to find) and send her a "thoughtful" message...

I'm not going to do that though.

Good! Do. Not. Do. That.

Can anyone cheer me up a little? How likely is this to affect my sales?

FWIW, as a reader, I often skim reviews before buying a new book. Solitary one-liners, whether they're "this is great!" or "this sucks!", are things I ignore, because neither helps me understand whether I'd like the book.

So I wouldn't sweat it.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chances are it will have zero nada zilcho effect on your sales. I have never passed on purchasing a book based on one, or even a few, one-star reviews. Especially if the reviews are no more helpful than "bleh. Who cares?" I look at the consensus, such as the line chart showing the frequency oofd the different stars. If it's a book I'm interested in that scores low, I look for the helpful reviews to help me figure out why it's not doing well.

Being that your book is self help, the reviewer might indeed know a lot about the subject already so to her it might not have been anything new. But to your audience, given quite positive reviews, the material is obviously new and helpful. Or she might have bought in to the idea that she can use the comments and reviews of other books to steer people toward her own, or she gets off on being negative, or perhaps she ho estly thinks your book isn't helpful. Who knows? In any case, I take the approach that if it were any of my business I would already know. Move on. And never, ever respond to a bad review.

fairybee

We just don't know.
Registered
Reaction score
As a shopper, this is exactly the kind of review I just ignore, because it's not specific or helpful at all. It just assumes every reader is exactly the same as the person who posted it. Others will probably ignore it as well.

Negative comments on the internet are always going to sting, but if you spend your time responding to every single one of them, you're just going to end up exhausted and angry.

Last edited:

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it. The majority of your reviews are very positive. And tbh when I'm checking out books, if I see a book has at least SOME negative feedback, it reassures me that the positive feedback is likely genuine, too. Because if you look up well-established and awesome writers (whomever they are to you), they have negative feedback, too.

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ya'll said things I was hoping to hear. I was especially hoping that it would help verify that the other reviews are in fact genuine. Amazon does a fine job of finding and deleting family and friend reviews. At least they did with me.

I imagine the sting will go away as soon as I make my first sale post review :). I currently average 2-7 sales a day. Nothing yet today... it's early though... right?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it. The majority of your reviews are very positive. And tbh when I'm checking out books, if I see a book has at least SOME negative feedback, it reassures me that the positive feedback is likely genuine, too. Because if you look up well-established and awesome writers (whomever they are to you), they have negative feedback, too.

Bolding mine. This is so true. If you want to make yourself feel better, look up your absolute favorite book and read the one-star reviews (and there will be plenty). It's a good reminder that no matter how good a book is, there will always be someone who doesn't like it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Out of curiosity I just looked at two books on Amazon Kindle that I know were excellent whether one liked them or not, Girl on the Train and Code Name Verity. Both have a whole slew of one star reviews. I get it the protagonist in Girl on a Train isn't going to appeal to a lot of people, but it's still an excellently written character. And Code Name Verity, that book is incredible.

Definitely an eye opener that one star reviews are just going to happen and aren't in and of themselves anything to worry about.

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
I take a slightly broader view.
If an author is realistic and living in the real world, they should expect one or two stars reviews.
That means things are normal.
Things aren't normal in my opinion when there's a long trail of 5*, or even 4* come to that.
Ultimately, I think it's better for authors to interact with reality than a bubble!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with those who said this is the type of review I ignore. I only pay attention to the thoughtful seeming reviews - nothing like, "This is great! 5 stars!" or like the one you got. Those tell me nothing. I'm sure it's so much easier said than done to not let it get to you. But try not to. That woman obviously has nothing better to than to go around trying to make authors feel like crap. I don't understand it, but you can't take a review from someone like that seriously.

I also, however, agree with those who said that a little negative feedback is actually a good thing. Take for example, my self-published books. The only reviews on there are from close family and friends, and of course they are great reviews. Which is great, but it also makes it look as though only my close friends and family read it. Which is probably true. LOL

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I have gotten 1 star reviews on every one of my books so far, so join the club! haha. Sure they sting a bit, but they're understandable. I know I've read books I didn't like, or didn't finish for whatever reason. It happens. I also agree those books with only 5 and 4 stars something's up with it, it isn't normal.

Reading other 1 star reviews, like others have said, works like a charm for me. Just keep going and focus on the positive. 2 to 7 sales a day is awesome!!!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'll say what I've always said, which is that I've bought many books based on one-star reviews. Often what people find objectionable is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to read.

Bongo, in the case of a review like that on a self-help book - if I were book shopping, I'd completely ignore it. If I knew everything there was to know on the subject, I wouldn't be looking for a self-help book, now would I? One-Star Reviewer might know it all, but I sure don't.

Also, never respond to reviews. Come to AW and rant about them, sure; but never make a public response. :D

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll say what I've always said, which is that I've bought many books based on one-star reviews. Often what people find objectionable is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to read.

Bongo, in the case of a review like that on a self-help book - if I were book shopping, I'd completely ignore it. If I knew everything there was to know on the subject, I wouldn't be looking for a self-help book, now would I? One-Star Reviewer might know it all, but I sure don't.

Also, never respond to reviews. Come to AW and rant about them, sure; but never make a public response. :D

Yep. Rant here, (but don't name names).

One star reviews are absolutely normal.

And yes, there are people who pretty much only give one-star reviews. Don't sweat it; don't pay attention to it, just go write your next book.

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone. I am feeling much MUCH better :).

Interesting thing - if the woman had read my book and been taking it's suggestions, she'd have never posted that review.

Something even more interesting I found from reading the negative reviews of my favorite self help authors - there is a religious group (or 2 :)) that really finds self help books offending. I should rephrase that. There are some religious people that find them offensive. In checking other books my 1 star reviewer reviewed, she pretty much gave 1 star to all the self help books she reviewed, and 5 stars to all self help books that were Bible based. When I checked the reviews of some of my favorite authors, I noticed the same trend. I can understand that. I think they believe they're helping god and others by pushing out what they believe to be evil. I think that's really sad, but I get it.

The intent behind my book was 100% loving. If there's such thing as god, god knows that.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your 1 star review. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seems likely that every book will get a negative review at some point. If the negative review you receive doesn't seem like it contains much substance, move on. If it contains something substantive, then that's something you're able to address, right? Just my view.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others. A negative review may sting, but ultimately, it's one more review on Amazon, so, from a purely mercenary perspective, this is STILL helping you in the search engine optimization game. Not only does it add legitimacy to the other reviews, since nothing but good reviews is suspect for any book, but it now also means that people who type in the title of your book and use words "bad" or "sucks" are more likely to get hits on your book now that negative reviews exist. Even when people are taking the time to write a bad review, as long as they're doing it online, this is actually helping you.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I just looked at two books on Amazon Kindle that I know were excellent whether one liked them or not, Girl on the Train and Code Name Verity. Both have a whole slew of one star reviews. I get it the protagonist in Girl on a Train isn't going to appeal to a lot of people, but it's still an excellently written character. And Code Name Verity, that book is incredible.

Definitely an eye opener that one star reviews are just going to happen and aren't in and of themselves anything to worry about.

I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but...what? You find Girl on the Train "excellent"? In what way, exactly? I'm staggered.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but...what? You find Girl on the Train "excellent"? In what way, exactly? I'm staggered.

It takes a very skilled author to make an unlikeable character likeable and I think the author did that with the protagonist. And I thought it was a good mystery with a complex plot.

Some of the people who said they didn't like it either disliked the main character or expected it to be like Gone Girl which it apparently wasn't. I can understand why the character was not to everyone's taste even though I thought the author portrayed her skillfully. As for Gone Girl, sometimes expectations can ruin a book but I don't know in this case having not read Gone Girl.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It takes a very skilled author to make an unlikeable character likeable and I think the author did that with the protagonist. And I thought it was a good mystery with a complex plot.

Some of the people who said they didn't like it either disliked the main character or expected it to be like Gone Girl which it apparently wasn't. I can understand why the character was not to everyone's taste even though I thought the author portrayed her skillfully. As for Gone Girl, sometimes expectations can ruin a book but I don't know in this case having not read Gone Girl.

I enjoyed The Girl on the Train, but I was expecting "the next Gone Girl", which was what the Amazon page promised me, so I was a little bit disappointed. T_T Publishers rly need to stop tagging every frikkin suspense/thrillers with FMCs as "the next Gone Girl".

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
Bongo,

Don't feel bad about your one negative review. There are no consistently accepted standards of quality in writing, and for all you know, the reviewer disliked your book because your surname reminded her of a crazed ex. Or perhaps she had reading comprehension issues and is just not a careful enough reader to discern nuances within your text. (Keep in mind that Jane A. received some horrible reviews in her time. And that some people think The Girl on the Train is "excellent." There is no accounting for taste).

If I were you, I'd just ignore the bad review. Or scour reviews of your favorite authors, and take note of the fact that all of them have bad reviews as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: