Hello!

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Writers!

My name is Kevin. I've been lurking here for a bit but finally decided to register. This is a wonderful resource, and I've learned great stuff in the time I've been reading the forums.

I've been working on a fantasy novel for about 18 months. I am currently on the 5th draft and nearly ready to get some test readers (whatever ready means).

Writing a book has always been something I thought would be fun to do, and the time finally came to do something other than think about it. It's been a frustrating, hard, confusing process...and I am already starting to think about book 2. :)

First, though, I am looking at the cliff that is the agent submission process. I took me about 5 seconds to realize that the 750 word hook letter and summary are far more important the the 93k word book. Not daunting at all....

Anyway, I look forward to contributing and learning more!

Yours in Writing!
Kevin

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Kevin! As regdog said, the "sticky" posts at the top of threads are huge resources. If I were about to seek an agent, I'd be rereading all the stickies in the Query Letter Hell forum. Welcome and good luck! :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Kevin. As far as I can see, you're doing everything right:hooray:. Good luck to you!:applause:

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I've read many of the introductory messages already. Still working my way through the others. So much valuable wisdom here!

Last edited:

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
If I were about to seek an agent, I'd be rereading all the stickies in the Query Letter Hell forum. Welcome and good luck! :)

Thanks. For the life of me, I can't find this forum. It's probably right under my nose, but can you point me in the right direction?

Flanderso

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kevin

Looks like you and I are here on similar grounds.

Phil

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
I took me about 5 seconds to realize that the 750 word hook letter and summary are far more important the the 93k word book.

This. This makes me think I've got it all wrong. Maybe we should write that FIRST then build the book around that. Seems to be the only way to get agents to actually look at it!

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Kevin!

I really applaud your dedication for writing such a long novel. I could never put anything together like that. The most I can do are silly blog entries and some short stories and a bit of poetry. But I am hoping with the right motivation and some skill, I can get my feet wet and start learning more about writing, I can be where you're at.

And nice tip on hte agent thing! I had no idea that the summary was mroe important than the book, it's something to really think about if I want to get into it someday.

Anyway, see you around the site!