Any cool details about turn-of-the-century Philadelphia?

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a semi-historical story about Frank Geyer, the detective who captured the serial killer H.H. Holmes. He lived in Philadelphia around 1900, and I'd love to toss in a couple details to really sell the authenticity of the setting. So, do any historians of the area happen to know any interesting particulars? They can be about city life, customs, transportation, major events, new technologies, rural areas surrounding the town, whichever.

I am of course doing my own research, but there's always the chance I might miss something great, so I appreciate any help!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Try newspapers from the time--they're stuffed with that kind of detail. Your local public library or a nearby university library might have Philadelphia newspapers on microfilm/fiche, or a subscription to Newspapers.com or Genealogy Bank (which I'm pretty sure offer free trial memberships if you prefer to work at home). Also check Chronicling America for Pennsylvania newspapers from that period, or see this list of Pennsylvania newspapers online for more options.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, that's going to be really helpful! Newspapers even figure into the story--Holmes's famous "I was born with the Devil in me" confession was published in the Philadelphia Inquirer at the time.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I did a bit of research on Philly in the 1820's and 1830's. Not a whole lot would still be relevant in the late 19th century--cities changed pretty dramatically in that time period. However, aside from the usual high-points like Independence Hall, the Fairmount Water Works was and remains a place to see:

http://fairmountwaterworks.org/

Worth a look-see.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
angeliz2k: Looks like my day job with more interesting architecture, haha! Might have to use it--this is a story that will heavily feature dreamwalking as well, so it's not hard to get the character places.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Around the turn of the 20th century, Eastern European Jews were flooding into a neighborhood near the liberty bell, South Philadelphia.

To picture South Philadelphia, think of New York's lower East Side, just not so well known.

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/04/25/1934-philadelphia-redlining-map/ (I don't know how to make neat and fancy links) might give you an idea, though immigration slowed dramatically in 1924, and this map was drawn ten years later.