The No Pitmad Likes Club

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! So far a longtime rejection expert here.

I was wondering if anybody else had participated in PitMad and gotten no attention from agents. I recognize there is an enormous flood of twitter pitching and agents are drinking from a firehose on their end, so tons of good pitches got ignored.

Still, it sucks, and it would help to know I wasn't alone--anybody else in this boat?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I did get a favorite from an agent this time, but I've done #PitMad five times for two books, and three of those times no agents nibbled. The pitch that got favorited this time is the same one that got no attention last time around. It really is a crap shoot-- the luck of having your pitch near the top of the feed at the same moment a likely agent is scrolling through.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No bites this time. One of my tweets got a small publisher interested, but not one I'd pursue.

Last PitMad, I didn't even play, and I got two likes on one of these same tweets (from the previous #pitmad). Sometimes it's all a matter of timing, and who's looking and how.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
Sage: Ha, that's interesting that it can work out that way. Yeah, it's not too dissimilar to traditional publishing, really--keep trying and go for the right timing.

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Me! Me!

I gave it a shot but I'm okay with not getting nibbles. It was my first stab at PitMad and I abhor twitter so it was more an exercise than a hopeful endeavor.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
First time I've heard of this. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
You guys have more guts than I do. I could never work up the courage to try something like PitMad.

*Disclaimer* I didn't have a Twitter account until two months ago either, so that also had something to do with it...

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
The one time I tried it, zero agent likes. So discouraging. I still queried and got rep from an agent who was very active in PitMad that year. The book was published and landed on the IndieNext list. So maybe I'm not too good at Twitter pitching, or not all books are well served by the format. :)

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I didn't participate the past few times, but I've definitely been in the situation of zero hearts on my pitches. I just keep tweaking . . . (when I have something to shop).

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
I never tried it because it'd take me days/weeks to agonize over perfecting my twitter pitch. I already did that for months with my query. I do see lots of pitches that don't get likes, so I wouldn't take it personal. I think agents have so many queries they go through that twitter pitches aren't their go to.

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me for being naive, as I'm still new to all this, but what is this PitMad thing? Can anyone give me a one sentence rundown? :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It's an event run by Brenda Drake on her website. Here's the lowdown straight from the source:

Pitch Madness is a contest held every March, where writers enter for a chance to win requests from the participating agents. Writers submit a 35-word (max) pitch and the first 250 words of their completed manuscript on submission day. Then a team of readers choose the top sixty (60) entries to go onto the agent round. Though Pitch Madness has a game theme, the next contest will transition to more of a critique based contest with agents simply requesting in the comments of the entries’ posts instead of having the agents play for requests. Also, hosts will coach our team members, helping them polish their entries and first pages.

It's another great way to get some exposure. Also beats writing a whole query. Later in the year, there's also a Twitter version of this.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think the twitter #PitMad pitch is Dec. 7?

You could be right, I'm honestly not sure what the dates are. I'm really, really horrible at doing anything short, so PitMad and Twitter PitMad are definitely not for me. Contests where you have to stand out from much more engaging, charismatic, social-media friendly competition is not for introverts like me, so I've always failed at them spectacularly.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I tried, got no likes, and deleted my tweets last night with my head hung in shame. I'm in the UK, so the right agents may not be looking anyway, but still. Ugh!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Next time you should leave up your tweets. Just because the posting period is 12 hours long, doesn't mean that that's the only time agents can look. I've received likes days later, and even one that liked a tweet from a #pitmad that took place 3 months before. Even tweets from the morning can receive attention from an agent searching key words. The :heart: I got yesterday came in after the event was over for the very first tweet I made that day at 6 a.m.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did wonder about that.

I deleted my (three perhaps increasingly desperate-seeming) tweets bec. I was embarrassed about my followers being able to see them and that they didn't get liked. I might have to make a new Twitter account for this specific purpose.

Next time you should leave up your tweets. Just because the posting period is 12 hours long, doesn't mean that that's the only time agents can look. I've received likes days later, and even one that liked a tweet from a #pitmad that took place 3 months before. Even tweets from the morning can receive attention from an agent searching key words. The :heart: I got yesterday came in after the event was over for the very first tweet I made that day at 6 a.m.