Edward Longshanks and the Money Lenders

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I feel this is a long shot - and I have not yet begun to seek sources - but I am seeking your help to find reliable historical accounts (not primary sources that I will have no access to for verification thanks) about how Edward I Kind of England became a partner with the money lenders in England in the late 14th Century. A quick look on The Internet (because, c'mon, it's Wikipedia/Google) surprisingly yields no information about something my family has "known" all my life. And what a story it is!

I am left to now flip through Amazon's library catalogue. If I had an English language reference librarian, I would stop by the English library for a look at a book. But I am in Poland. So, obviously... it's not like The Internet Poland.

If anyone can point me towards a book or a credible online source supported by a credible historical society, I would appreciate it.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Did you try Google?

I'm serious. This is an absolutely well-known historical event associated with Edward I's expulsion of the Jews from England.

Via Google books you can start with M. Krummel. Crafting Jewishness in Medieval England: Legally Absent, Virtually Present.
https://books.google.com/books?id=IbJeAQAAQBAJ&dq=inauthor:"M.+Krummel"&source=gbs_navlinks_s

TOR no like.
Private Viewing no good.

Google block with registration.

Bad is good.

I DO APPRECIATE the book title. It was the best part of your post. Thanks.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting Polin - the Museum of the History of Polish Jews, in Warsaw? Apparently a lot of Jews from Western Europe fled to Poland when the kings of Poland granted them rights, while other kings were expelling them, around your time-frame. The treatment of Jews in England in King Edward I's day might not be their focus, but they might have useful information.
They have a website: http://www.polin.pl/pl and if I read Polish, I tell you what else they offer.

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
I feel this is a long shot - and I have not yet begun to seek sources - but I am seeking your help to find reliable historical accounts (not primary sources that I will have no access to for verification thanks) about how Edward I Kind of England became a partner with the money lenders in England in the late 14th Century. A quick look on The Internet (because, c'mon, it's Wikipedia/Google) surprisingly yields no information about something my family has "known" all my life. And what a story it is!

Edward I of England wasn't king in the late 14th century. He died in 1307. Are you looking for Edward I or Edward III (king more around your time period) or Richard II (ditto)? That might help people find info for you.

suziquaif

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I think you need to be looking for something on Edward 1 Statute of Jewry 1275 which seems to be an attempt to integrate the Jewish population in England. Before then they were directly ruled by the Kings England, but did not hold the rights given to Lords. The partnership seems to have been based on the Jews being the only members of English Society that could legally charge interest on loans. Also the Edict of Expulsion 1290 which Edward enforced when the Statute of Jewry failed and the 'partnership' had lost its value to the crown.

This is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_England_(1066–1290)

There is a list of references in Wikipedia, but the best for your purposes would seem to be Chazan, Robert (2006). The Jews of Medieval Western Christendom, 1000–1500. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 159. ISBN 0-521-84666-8.

Hope this helps