Bojack Horseman S4

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else watching the most essential show on TV about depression and fatalism and also talking horses? I'm only up to the third episode, but I'm enjoying it so far. Like the previous seasons it seems the first few episodes will be comparatively light in tone, however even light episodes on Bojack are pretty goddamn heavy when they want to be. His poor grandmother ...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. Less dismal than S3 overall, though with lotsa soul-crushing angst if you want it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the season yesterday, and I was blown away. It's not just the portrayal of depression either. They explored topics that most other shows wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (fertility problems, dementia), and they did it brilliantly.

On top of that, it has some of the most three-dimensional, well-written female characters I've ever seen. "Poor Bojack's grandmother" indeed, and his mother, too.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
On top of that, it has some of the most three-dimensional, well-written female characters I've ever seen.

Hollyhock was a particularly nice addition to the roster, just a good, sweet, charming kid, and I hope we'll see more of her.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Continues to be a great show, with one of the all-around best casts.

The "Time's Arrow" episode was the stand out this season. Blurry backgrounds, how the letters rearranged themselves on the facade of the hotel, blank faces and of course Henrietta's angry scribble-face... all very powerful to (literally) illustrate dementia. And, considering how some season finales have been incredibly crushing, I like that this one ended on a brighter note. He's been a father figure to other female characters and royally screwed it up, so having the chance to serve as a different kind of family to someone is going to be good for him.

And I continue to love Todd.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Blurry backgrounds, how the letters rearranged themselves on the facade of the hotel, blank faces and of course Henrietta's angry scribble-face... all very powerful to (literally) illustrate dementia.

We started that episode late at night and had to turn it off. Bojack doesn't mess around. I think Wendy Malick ended up being the stand-out talent for what she brought to Beatrice. You sort of expect her to pop onto shows as the funny, acerbic, kinda awful older women, but that was something else entirely. Needs an Emmy.

I also loved Mr. PB, because, dogs. But it's great that there's an upbeat, positive character on the show who's just a good, uncomplicated person, full stop. Even better that they treat him the same as everyone else, with issues, flaws, imperfections, and all that. Diane continues to be Diane, who, I'm sure like a lot of people here, I tend to have a hard time forming an opinion on because it's like looking into a mirror. Todd is great, never seen a show deal with asexuality before and I think everyone gives it roundly high marks. And Princess Carolyn, sigh, I just want nice things to happen to her, why does it have to be so hard?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think Wendy Malick ended up being the stand-out talent for what she brought to Beatrice. You sort of expect her to pop onto shows as the funny, acerbic, kinda awful older women, but that was something else entirely. Needs an Emmy.

Emmy had crossed my mind, too. She continues to be a dynamic force on the show since her first episode.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Hollyhock was a particularly nice addition to the roster, just a good, sweet, charming kid, and I hope we'll see more of her.

I love Hollyhock, both for herself, and because when I look at her, I see what Bojack might have been if he'd been raised in a loving, healthy environment.

"Don't feel bad about feeling bad."

*sniffle*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, my grandmother recently passed away - she had dementia and was living with me and my family during the end there. It...never got as bad as Bojack's mom, but there were days where we could all see it getting that bad.

To say Time's Arrow was devestating would be an understatement.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What's so interesting about the whole 'Time's Arrow' thing repeated throughout the season is there seemed to be a rather Faulknerian counterpoint that the past is never is never truly behind us, but that we're sort of endlessly reliving it in the way our current actions & decisions are affected. You can't really move forward (or, at least, it's hard), but time still has a way of taking things away from you. Maybe just me reading into it, but I felt the point here wasn't just that time is linear, but that it's also circular. Or something. And that's enough out of me! :)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it. Pretty good season. Interesting that they've ended with Bojack showing a small glimmer of a possibility of the hope of acutally being happy with his life, whereas things are all falling apart for Diane, Mr PB and Princess Carolyn. Kinda the opposite of where S3 ended.

PS Sorry about your grandmother, Zoombie. Dementia is hard.

Last edited: