two forms of magic in my setting: ritual and arcane

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
Ritual magic is essentially formulaic, with the magic being derived largely from the ingredients and the rituals of preparation. It is very similar to following a recipe and generally unaffected by the temperament of the practitioner at the time, although it may be affected by the quality of the ingredients and the precision of the ritual. Short rituals are relatively easy to perform, simply requiring a ritual circle, few components, and easy to memorize. longer rituals are more complex, requiring hours of chanting or movement, and more ingredients. These steps are meant to control the flow of magic into the real world, and coax the energy into a specific form, similiar to cooking.This allows for longer lasting, permanent, and intricate effects that arcane magic cannot achieve, such as splitting a river in half or creating floating islands.

Arcane magic derives from the control of personal power and is fueled by the life force of the individual. It requires a spiritual discipline to properly control it and this can be influenced by many different factors, including the amount of life force a person has and level of concentration. In particular, typically, it is used for purposes of defence and attack where the practitioner is most likely to be unsettled by the circumstances, even though discipline is most important to wield this magic most effectively. It requires aptitude and much training to become proficient. Although powerful, it is dangerous to perform and the effect is brief, such as creating a firestorm. An arcane caster who foolishly attempts to create an especially large or strong effect, or to sustain it for too long, risks getting enveloped in their own spell, or possibly releasing some unshaped wild magic. Both are usually deadly.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Um...did you have a question, or is this post solely for our edification?

And now I want a floating island!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Um...did you have a question, or is this post solely for our edification?

That's roughly what I was going to say.

Also, I had a floating island once. The silly thing was always falling asleep in the hallway, forcing everyone to duck under it, and it nearly killed me one night when I got up in the dark and it decided to be affectionate and wrap itself around my head.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
That's roughly what I was going to say.

Also, I had a floating island once. The silly thing was always falling asleep in the hallway, forcing everyone to duck under it, and it nearly killed me one night when I got up in the dark and it decided to be affectionate and wrap itself around my head.

Yikes! That sounds like it got pretty messy. I was thinking I could keep it outside, though. Is that not a good idea?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I would say that is a pretty good description of the D&D magic system.

Agreed. It's been done.

Not just D&D. I see two forms of magic all over the place, and they have similar dichotomies to the OP. Skulduggery Pleasant--Adepts can do flashy spells and permanently alter their bodies but it's an impatient form of magic and all their spells come with a cost; Elementalists are restricted to the forces of nature but their magic won't ever cause them to melt when they try to go swimming. Both of Tamora Pierce's universes rely on two forms of magic. Tortall has the "Gift"--think wizards in D&D--and "wild magic," which is basically druids. Emelan has "academic" magic, which is a matter of signs and spells and applying your energy and it all works; and "ambient" magic, which draws from a thing and what that thing is designed for. I feel like I've seen it other places too, but those are the only ones coming to mind.

Now, me, I decided two wasn't enough. There are a grand total of five ways for a human to work magic in my urban fantasy universe. (Spoiler alert: One of them involves making yourself no longer human.) :D

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes! That sounds like it got pretty messy. I was thinking I could keep it outside, though. Is that not a good idea?

I'd be concerned putting it outside would mean it would just float away (pun intended).

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well, D&D leaps to mind because the description had a gamey feel to it :p but yes, I think broadly speaking you can only get two types of magic--very structured and intuitive. Something in between would be far more difficult to write or design.

jjdebenedictis

Registered
Reaction score

You'll want to keep it on a leash, even in the yard. It's fortunately not a problem if your floating island gets worms, but watch out for raccoons harassing it; they'll steal all its food, given a chance, particularly if your island has any date palms on it.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
You'll want to keep it on a leash, even in the yard. It's fortunately not a problem if your floating island gets worms, but watch out for raccoons harassing it; they'll steal all its food, given a chance, particularly if your island has any date palms on it.

Oh, good point. I hadn't considered that. You know, we don't have as many raccoons around here in this sort of quasi-urban area as I'm used to, and I think it's because the foxes keep them away. Do you suppose I could keep the raccoons off the island in a similar way?

jjdebenedictis

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's because the foxes keep them away. Do you suppose I could keep the raccoons off the island in a similar way?

The foxes may need grappling hooks, but that might just work.

I killed a raccoon by accident once. Obviously this is the correct thread for such a confession. You're welcome. As you were.

It's okay; the raccoon would have killed you on purpose.

Flanderso

Registered
Reaction score
I am not a huge magic systems guy, so here's a question I have: Are these two forms of magic from the "same place"? In other words, do they both share the same source but are just accessed and manipulated differently? Could they potentially be mixed together at a later stage?