• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

beta swap slaughterhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Run and hide! I'm looking for 1-2 people to swap with, and my manuscript has left a trail of slaughtered betas in its path. Perhaps you'll be next?_?

People often think the MS too YA and get bored, or else too complicated/weird and get a headache. If you're lucky, you'll fall into both categories ;-) Also it's probably pretentious, because I'm obsessed with phenomenology. Sorry. But at least you have fair warning.

Specifics: science fantasy-ish, 92k words, low magic, small scale (not epic), character driven, non-human cast, 5 POV (not equally weighted). Gradually becomes more surreal, and is occasionally quite violent, though probably less than your average fantasy in fairness.

If you would prefer to skim the first chapter, you can find it here, at around 2300 words.

I have two fulls out for an earlier version of the MS, which best case scenario will be a revise and resubmit, but more likely will be a double rejection. Either way that goes, I've rewritten the very faulty ending in the interm, would like to test it out on the assumption I'll need to start querying again in a couple of months, once I've stopped sulking over probable incoming Rs.

About me... I do a fair amount of critting on SYW. I'm in a local writer group IRL and founded a little crit circle on fb. I've successfully betaread for, or swapped with, around six AWers since April, and a heck of a lot more outside of AW (I like to beta 1-2 MS a month on average). In the interests of full disclosure, I have also bailed on two other AWers back in May/June (reads, not swaps). That was down to having too many MS on my plate, and I've learned to pace myself better since then.

Swap wise... Well, I'm better equipped to crit SFF/spec fic, but I'll give most things a try. I've beta read everything from chicklit to thrillers to inspirational romance to full literary, although as before the majority of stuff I read is SFF. The main thing is whether you can suffer through mine--that's the harder ask, really ;-)

PS--I don't mind if you bail. My run-for-the-hills rate is around 75% for betas so you'd be in good company :)

Love and war,
- S

Last edited:

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mainstream / commercial / literary and I don't read much fantasy but if you want a newbie-crit'er take on it, I would be happy to give it a spin. (Makes me sound like a newborn red panda and I kinda like it.)

I suspect I'll be at my current round of edits for 10 more days or so. After that, I'll be looking for a break from my own WIP and I'd be happy to beta for a break.

You've seen the first 200 words of mine - over there in the 200 words thread - where I misplaced it under Science Fiction because I'm a dork. Thanks again for the feedback! It was perfect and just what I needed. Happy to beta, even if you'd rather forego mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.