8.0 quake near Chiapas, Mexico

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This just happened a half hour ago maybe. There don't seem to be any news stories yet, so no information about how many casualties or how much damage. My husband plays an online game and his guild master lives about 100 km away. She felt it and doesn't know how bad things are yet for people closer to the epicenter either. Her house seems to be okay and she still has her internet. Guatemala city is also within the area affected.

https://earthquaketrack.com/r/coast-of-chiapas-mexico/recent

I know we have some members who live in Mexico, but I don't know if any are in the area affected. There is a tsunami warning.

Edit, here's an article about it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-off-southern-mexico-triggers-tsunami-warning

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It's also very close to Hurricane Katia which is approaching major hurricane status.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's also very close to Hurricane Katia which is approaching major hurricane status.

Yeah. The quake was on the west coast, and Katia is coming in from the east, but the land is quite narrow there. The timing is pretty bad for this.

The death count is in the thirties already. Not as bad as some historic quakes in the area, probably because the epicenter was off the coast, but it can take a long time to find all the victims.

Last edited:

AielloJ1

Registered
Reaction score
I almost missed this news. Just goes to show the tough couple months we're in, and the fear of danger of the Hurricane approaching Florida. Hope the injury and death toll is as low there as possible.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has Kaiser Kun checked in yet? :e2bummed:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Reported to be 1 m. It was a deep quake with not much displacement.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, I'm safe. I live in the opposite side of the country.

Oh, good. I didn't know which part of Mexico you hail from.

Reported to be 1 m. It was a deep quake with not much displacement.

That's good to know. As bad as this is, it looks like it could have been even worse. I'm relieved it didn't happen under a densely populated area. It's been a hellish couple of weeks for natural disasters in the Americas.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the women I talk with on Twitter was hit by this. Fortunately she is okay. She said it lasted about 4 minutes and was terrifying. Mexico was quick to send support and aid to Houston and DJT has said nothing and offered Mexico no help. Shameful

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
One of the women I talk with on Twitter was hit by this. Fortunately she is okay. She said it lasted about 4 minutes and was terrifying. Mexico was quick to send support and aid to Houston and DJT has said nothing and offered Mexico no help. Shameful

Shameful indeed. I'm going to go search for a way to donate right now.