Good "starting point" for reading epic fantasy?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Occasionally I find myself wanting to write a genre that I rarely if ever read. Not that it usually stops me--I've generally experienced the genre in other media and write the thing just to get it out of my head. But in this case, I want to do it right, because I intend to keep writing using the world and characters I'm working with now. That means reading. So here goes:

I do not normally read epic fantasy, mostly because it's, well, epic. I have a hard time getting into it and staying invested (for reference, even when I'm reading a series I absolutely love with books about 300 pages long, I usually only read four before wandering off to read something else). But I quite like epic fantasy in other media--I play Pathfinder, which is my main exposure to it. I guess that's the kind of world I want to read, because it's pretty much what I want to write. A world with magic and different species and peoples all working together, epic action but focused on a relatively few heroes. I love politics and political drama and contracts and backstabbing, because I genuinely think those things and how they play out are cool. Also, not that I've seen this happen much in epic fantasy, but I have a particular annoyance with plots where the odds are stacked so fully against the characters that only an act of God could get them out of it, because that's how such plots usually end.

The only epic/swords and sorcery fantasy I've read fully are Tamora Pierce's various works (which I enjoy immensely and reread every year or so), Truthwitch (which I did not enjoy but finished for the sake of finishing), and The Palace Job (which I had an absurd amount of fun with). I technically did read A Wizard of Earthsea, but that was for school and it was over ten years ago and I don't remember it at all. Presently I'm taking another crack at The Legend of Drizzt.

When I try to pick out books in this genre myself, I inevitably get bored and don't finish them, so I'm hoping that the lovely people in this forum will have suggestions for me. Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance!

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm never quite sure what is and isn't epic fantasy, but a few possible suggestions...

You mentioned Pathfinder, so I'll start by recommending Josh Vogt's Forge of Ashes.
Following your mention of political drama: Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch (and its sequels)
Robin Hobb has never disappointed. Good places to start would include Assassin's Apprentice, Ship of Magic, or Shaman's Crossing. Each of these is the first book in a different trilogy. Both Assassin and Ship are set in her broader Realm of the Elderlings series.
If you want something a little different, consider Jacqueline Carey's The Sundering (Banewreaker / Godslayer): the story inverts the tropes and makes the villains the point-of-view characters. It's epic fantasy as high tragedy, and one of my all time favourites.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you're looking for epic fantasy, you probably want to give Tad Williams a try. His Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy is considered a staple (partial inspiration for GRRM's Game of Thrones), and the first book in a follow-up trilogy just hit shelves. If you're looking for different species interacting, you get more of that in his Shadowmarch quartet; seems to be overshadowed by his MST trilogy, but in some ways I liked it better, and it had a larger scope.

Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule focuses on a few characters, though I hear the series gets a bit overlong and bloated (haven't gotten around to pursuing it.)

Anthony Ryan's recent The Waking Fire (start of a series) has epic overtones with politics and distinct main characters, though it's not quite sword and sorcery per se.

If you're interested in sword & sorcery, you might try Fritz Leiber's classic Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, available in collected volumes; if you want to skip the sometimes-lengthy origin tales, you can just track down Ill Met in Lankhmar, which is the tale of how the two heroes met. (IIRC, Leiber is the one who coined the term "sword and sorcery"; he was also poking some fun at a genre following in the overserious footsteps of Conan and other broodingly inhuman heroes, so there's a bit of gentle mockery of tropes.)

For interesting worldbuilding with distinctive cultures, Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives are great.

And if you're really interested in epic fantasy, it still pays to go back to Tolkien - at least to try, if not to finish. Writing styles may have moved on, but much of the genre is still built on his foundations.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Take a look at The Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series by Brian Stavelely. It's chock-full of political finagling.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I love the genre, but can't stand most epic fantasy books. I guess it depends what you like or want from the genre.

A friend of mine is R&Ring their epic fantasy, and it's honestly the most fun I've had from that genre in years.

I'm another one who isn't sure what does or doesn't count. I love Robin Hobb usually but am surprised to see her described as EF. But maybe that fits, I don't know.

I would have said the Chronicles of Amber qualifies, though it's a non traditional epic, but it has all the right ingredients (with a few twists or so along the way). If you haven't read that, it is really well done. Can't go wrong with Zelazny.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Kings of the Wyld by Nicolas Eames is a recent fantasy hit mixing epic adventure with rock'n'roll. I second the suggestion of The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I like Trudi Canavan's books. No swords, but the fate of the world is at stake over 3 engrossing books - take your pick of trilogies.

AielloJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Terry Brooks I feel is a good blend of old school epic fantasy mixed with new. His original books are very good, and very LOTR like in plot, especially Sword of Shannara. His newer ones have more of a modern edge to them. He can be a bit wordy, and I haven't been a fan of some of his recent series, but over-all, he's a pretty good go-to.

laazy

Epic procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
All three have been mentioned already, but I'll mention them again. Just because.
Trudi Canavan's Millenium Rule series.
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

All different kinds of plot, different kinds of characters and worlds, all very good.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
There's also Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series (seven books, but at least it's finished). King's Dragon is the first one.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria books sound like they'd be right up your alley, especially since you mention liking The Palace Job. Start with Riyria Revelations, which begins with Theft of Swords. Some of the most fun I've ever had reading fantasy.

For a series based partly on a video game concept there's the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, which is a fusion of Pokemon and the lost Roman legion.

I can also recommend a personal favorite, the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. The series is ongoing still and offers a little bit of everything, especially if you like companion animals and a little bit of romance with your stories (don't discount it out of hand if it's not your thing, though!).

Also agreeing with the Scott Lynch suggestion. I recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora to a friend of mine who wanted to get into fantasy more and didn't know where to start, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very accessible as fantasy goes.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
There's some good suggestions here already - The Lies of Locke Lamora is a superb book but I wouldn't call it epic as such.

If you want real EPIC epic fantasy, look at The Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
Do the Belgariad and Malloreon series count? Five easy books each. Here's how TVTropes describes it:
David Eddings wrote the series after taking a course on literary criticism. He dug out all the tropes he could find, and decided to build a world that was simultaneously Strictly Formula and really, really good — because Tropes Are Not Bad. He also deliberately focused on the characters rather than the tropes, injecting liveliness and sardonic humor into stock situations. The original books were followed up with a sequel series, The Malloreon (which is basically "The Belgariad all over again but everyone is older", as the characters themselves quickly notice).

I actually enjoyed The Malloreon even more, mainly because one of the evil emperors becomes a party member and is hysterical. Although it was woefully low on Mandorallen...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Raymond E Feist's books are classic. Also Tad Williams Osten Ard books (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy is the first, but he's writing some new ones too.) Mary Stewart's Arthur series is somewhat of an epic fantasy and the individual volumes are not overly long. (Although, she was kind of doing some grimdark stuff way before GRRM thought to write ASOFAI.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I do not normally read epic fantasy, mostly because it's, well, epic.

Echo this. And I've tried. And tried. My problem, as a reader, is that I've never found one of these "epics" that was inhabited by characters I could give a rat's about. Every one I've looked at seems driven by world-building/plot contrivance, involving PeterJacksonian megabattles, and other tropes that just inflame my cliché-detection gland. Perhaps I'm over-interpreting the genre concept, I don't know.

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I tend to enjoy character-driven narratives, which means that some of the big epics have left me feeling unconnected over the years. I also like the richness of worlds and cultures that exemplify epic fantasy, when they influence the worlds and stories. But stories that are all world building and epic stakes with very little characterization or personal stakes leave me bored and disconnected.

Have you tried Robin Hobb's series that start with Assassin's Apprentice? It's a long series with many installments over the years, but the core books (imo) are the ones written in first person. There's more focus on character in those than in some sprawling epics with a bunch of pov characters to keep straight. Note that some of the other books written in the same world are in more traditional multi-third style narrations, but I found them easier to read once I was invested in the world. And while there are dragons that ally themselves with humans, I find it rather refreshing that they're not exactly tame little pets. More the reverse, in fact. Humans are the dragons' pets. Note, Robin Hobb is not a big fan of unilaterally happy endings. She's harder than hell on her protagonists. "Bittersweet" might be the way I'd define her books, when they're not downright heartbreaking.

Some others I've liked over the years may or may not count as "epic fantasy," though they're definitely heroic fantasies taking place in secondary worlds where some of the expected tropes are present.

I enjoyed Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series, and I'm disappointed that she doesn't seem to be starting anything new since finishing the series (unless she's doing so under a different pen name). She's active on twitter and FB but hasn't updated her blog in ages and hasn't said anything about new projects lately. While there are world-changing elements in these stories and some standard fantasy tropes, her stories always felt personal and the characters like real people.

I've liked some of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books over the years too. I know many people here like to scoff at them, and they're maybe what counts as lighter fantasy, in that they tend to end with happily ever afters (or at least for nows), but sometimes I'm in the mood for something more upbeat. Each individual book or (sometimes trilogy or duology within the whole) tend to focus on one, or at the most a very few, characters, but taken in their entirety they're pretty epic.

I enjoyed Kate Elliott's Spiritwalker trilogy. They're narrated in a single first-person pov, and take place in an alternative history Europe, but they incorporate interesting world building and magic.

I liked Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and the rest of that trilogy, though it was more a dark and cynical deconstruction of standard epic fantasy tropes. It did get rapey and torturey in places if that's not your kind of thing. His Half a King (Shattered Sea) series was a bit different. It was technically for YA readers, and had teen protagonists, and it was a bit less cynical and dark than his other books. Still, it was far from light fantasy. The first book had one pov protagonist, the second two, and the third three or four (I can't recall), but one of his strengths, imo, is characterization. Like Robin Hobb, he doesn't seem to be too keen on happy endings for his characters.

In a very different vein, I liked the Lady Trent series. I don't know if it counts as epic fantasy, and it's taking place in a different kind of world than many fantasies--a sort of alternative Earth in a Victorian era analog, but where dragons are real. It's narrated in first person with a wry, humorous tone. The protagonist is a very unconventional lady who becomes her society's foremost dragon expert and is of great service to the "crown."

I liked Jacqeline Carey's Kushiel's Dart trilogy. It's pretty epic in scope and length, but it's narrated in first person by the same character throughout. I enjoyed the world building. Note there's quite a bit of sex, since the protagonist is a courtesan and the servant of a god that embodies sensual pain. But there's a lot more to the story than that. It's very different from the previous series, which is told from a more Victorian sensibility, but both are unusual among fantasy epics with female protagonists in that the woman in question is not a warrior or following a heroines journey type arc, where they repudiate their femininity initially. Both are smart, strong and resourceful, however, but they are very happy to be women.

If you want to look at some authors who were writing backstabbing high (or possibly epic) fantasy before A Song of Ice and Fire was even conceived, you might try Katherine Kurtz's books, or Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince series. Both were very popular in the 70s and 80s, though they're rarely talked about now. Note that the narrative style these books are told in may feel rather dated now.

Last edited:

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
His Half a King (Shattered Sea) series was a bit different. It was technically for YA readers, and had teen protagonists, and it was a bit less cynical and dark than his other books. Still, it was far from light fantasy. The first book had one pov protagonist, the second two, and the third three or four (I can't recall), but one of his strengths, imo, is characterization. Like Robin Hobb, he doesn't seem to be too keen on happy endings for his characters.

Hey I'm reading these right now! I feel a bit too old for them, but they're definitely very accessible and easy to read. They're epic without feeling the weight of epic (except for when that guy fights a ship). Though it makes me angry when he can make me care more about his characters in the first three pages than about my own after five hundred!

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend starting with The Wheel of Time or Mistborn if you're coming from more heroic fantasy.

Aggy B. mentioned Raymond E. Feist books. I completely agree. Classic, wonderful books that still live in my memory.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but David Eddings. The Mallorean is probably his best series, imo. The Belgariad came before that. The Elenium and the Tamuli books were great too, and I didn't even mind that I felt like I was reading the same plot, lol. He wrote at a time when prologues were a thing, so you kind of have to get past the prologues, but those books just amazed me. I mean, I fell in love with those books and those characters. I read them back when I was reading all of the Drizzt novels (well, really everything TSR was putting out at the time) for the first time, and they worked great as a transition from more heroic novels to epic.

Someone mentioned the Malazan books, and while those books are amazing, I think the steep learning curve the author puts the reader through might be an initial turn off.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In a very different vein, I liked the Lady Trent series. I don't know if it counts as epic fantasy, and it's taking place in a different kind of world than many fantasies--a sort of alternative Earth in a Victorian era analog, but where dragons are real. It's narrated in first person with a wry, humorous tone. The protagonist is a very unconventional lady who becomes her society's foremost dragon expert and is of great service to the "crown."

I recently read the first Lady Trent book, and quite enjoyed it. Great job suggesting the greater world without drowning the reader in it - plus just a good story all around.

Circling back with a couple more...

Not sure if it quite counts, but Django Wexler's writing a flintlock fantasy series, The Shadow Campaigns (first book: The Thousand Names), with some very distinct characters and interesting politics, plus very well done battle scenes. Not the average, traditional, pseudo-Tolkien epic, but worth a look for what's going on in fantasy these days.

The MG series The Prydain Chronicles (starting with The Book of Three) by Lloyd Alexander is considered a classic, and a fairly quick read for an adult; might be a way to get a taste of classic fantasy without a huge time commitment.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Lady Trent is technically "hard fantasy" (so I'm told!) in that it approaches fantasy with a realistic, scientific sort of angle. Somewhere between fictional academic travel writing and pulpy dragon adventure.

But it's a very engaging series of books whatever bucket you stick it in.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions! I've checked a couple of them out of the library to get started. Not responding to the individual recs here, but to some points that stood out and clarified things for me:

And if you're really interested in epic fantasy, it still pays to go back to Tolkien - at least to try, if not to finish. Writing styles may have moved on, but much of the genre is still built on his foundations.

Be assured, I have tried to get through LOTR. I made it up through a bit of Two Towers once. I haven't made it that far in any of my subsequent attempts to get through it. I love his ideas and all, it's just so hard for me to focus that long. He also followed all the epic conventions, including the ones that will make me lose focus faster than anything else--epic lists and epic digressions.

Echo this. And I've tried. And tried. My problem, as a reader, is that I've never found one of these "epics" that was inhabited by characters I could give a rat's about. Every one I've looked at seems driven by world-building/plot contrivance, involving PeterJacksonian megabattles, and other tropes that just inflame my cliché-detection gland. Perhaps I'm over-interpreting the genre concept, I don't know.

caw

This is why I asked for help. When I look myself, all I find is stuff like you're describing, and that is exactly why I've never finished an "epic" fantasy.

I recently read the first Lady Trent book, and quite enjoyed it. Great job suggesting the greater world without drowning the reader in it - plus just a good story all around.

Circling back with a couple more...

Not sure if it quite counts, but Django Wexler's writing a flintlock fantasy series, The Shadow Campaigns (first book: The Thousand Names), with some very distinct characters and interesting politics, plus very well done battle scenes. Not the average, traditional, pseudo-Tolkien epic, but worth a look for what's going on in fantasy these days.

The MG series The Prydain Chronicles (starting with The Book of Three) by Lloyd Alexander is considered a classic, and a fairly quick read for an adult; might be a way to get a taste of classic fantasy without a huge time commitment.

Both your new suggestions sound excellent, especially the flintlock suggestion, since parts of my world use guns. (The different parts are thoroughly segmented and the elements that go into gunpowder aren't readily available in all of them.) I think I used to own The Book of Three, and I'm sure I can get it through the library. Be nice to get through something quickly for a change! XD

I tend to enjoy character-driven narratives, which means that some of the big epics have left me feeling unconnected over the years. I also like the richness of worlds and cultures that exemplify epic fantasy, when they influence the worlds and stories. But stories that are all world building and epic stakes with very little characterization or personal stakes leave me bored and disconnected.

This exactly. This is why I haven't gotten into a really "epic" epic. I enjoy the scope and stakes of epics, but not when that's all the book is. I think your summary is right on. I still think of what people are describing here as epics based on the stakes involved and the heroic nature of the setting and characters, but it's a different kind of epic than Tolkein or Jordan.

Have you tried Robin Hobb's series that start with Assassin's Apprentice? It's a long series with many installments over the years, but the core books (imo) are the ones written in first person. There's more focus on character in those than in some sprawling epics with a bunch of pov characters to keep straight. Note that some of the other books written in the same world are in more traditional multi-third style narrations, but I found them easier to read once I was invested in the world. And while there are dragons that ally themselves with humans, I find it rather refreshing that they're not exactly tame little pets. More the reverse, in fact. Humans are the dragons' pets. Note, Robin Hobb is not a big fan of unilaterally happy endings. She's harder than hell on her protagonists. "Bittersweet" might be the way I'd define her books, when they're not downright heartbreaking.

This is exactly how I treat my characters, so I will absolutely check her out. I love seeing people do my things better than me--then I can learn how they do it. :D

Some others I've liked over the years may or may not count as "epic fantasy," though they're definitely heroic fantasies taking place in secondary worlds where some of the expected tropes are present.

I snipped the rest of your excellent suggestions to draw attention to this, because I think this is a good summary of what I'm looking for. Thank you for saying it much better than I could. :D

Lady Trent is technically "hard fantasy" (so I'm told!) in that it approaches fantasy with a realistic, scientific sort of angle. Somewhere between fictional academic travel writing and pulpy dragon adventure.

I didn't know there was such a thing as hard fantasy and am now fascinated to explore it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Yeah. I find it difficult to determine when something becomes epic. I find that many of my favorite epics are ones where there's debate over whether or not they really are epic. I think of "epic fantasy" being more about the scope of the story and stakes, while designations like "high fantasy," "hard fantasy," "low fantasy," "historical fantasy," "gunpowder fantasy," and so on are more about the style of the storytelling and world building themselves. The thing about the Lady Trent books is that they didn't focus on war, though war was definitely a factor in the story and something that affected the protagonist's options in many cases. To some, if there aren't scenes involving epic battles, it's not epic fantasy.

I love fantasy, and generally prefer fantasy set in secondary worlds and in pre-industrial settings (for modern and futuristic settings, I prefer SF). But I set aside far more fantasy novels than I finish. I find the market is very flooded (which is frustrating for those of us who dream of getting published within it).

It's also very diverse in terms of characterization, writing style, and world building. Even without getting into what constitutes objectively good or bad writing or storytelling, I imagine there are very few readers that like all (or even most) books in the genre. There are plenty of writers in the genre that are popular and regarded as "great," but I just couldn't enjoy. Sometimes (and this is a big thing with older fantasy and SF, like Robert Jordan), it's because I find it sooooo sexist it makes my brain hurt. Other times it's because they employ narrative styles I find distancing or tropes I've simply seen too much of over the years. But sometimes there are modern writers who are considered "must reads" in progressive circles, and who are praised for being very innovative, yet I just can't sink my teeth into them.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another series that might count as epic, and that has a military flavor, is Naomi Novik's Temeraire books. These get dinged sometimes because they involve an empathic bond between humans and dragons that resembles McCaffrey's Pern books (something that's been done a lot over the years).

The series set in an alternative 19th century/Napoleonic time frame, where dragons function as sentient airships, but everything else is pretty much the same. The same important historical personages are present and the cities and nations are as they were during the Napoleonic Wars and immediately after. If you can get past the unlikelihood of this being the case in a world where dragons evolved alongside humans (I'm sure this would *really* have changed how people design cities, and where they were built, and affected the outcomes of wars and history long before the 1800s), the books are engaging and character focused.

My biggest beef with the books is that I had trouble envisioning how big the dragons really were and how the air battles worked out mechanically with flying creatures portrayed as if they were ocean ships. For instance, the dragons being able to lay their heads in a human lap suggested that they were maybe the size of elephants, or just a bit larger, yet they talked about them having tents pitched on their backs and carrying dozens of men sometimes, as if they were warship sized. Feeding them would have necessitated a much smaller human population with nearly all livestock going to feed the dragon corps.

They are very popular, however, and they are fun.

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
If you can get past the unlikelihood of this being the case in a world where dragons evolved alongside humans, the books are engaging and character focused.

*Rip Hunter voice* Time wants to happen.

My biggest beef with the books is that I had trouble envisioning how big the dragons really were and how the air battles worked out mechanically with flying creatures portrayed as if they were ocean ships. For instance, the dragons being able to lay their heads in a human lap suggested that they were maybe the size of elephants, or just a bit larger, yet they talked about them having tents pitched on their backs and carrying dozens of men sometimes, as if they were warship sized.

That... would drive me nuts, personally, but I might try the books anyway. I have read some McCaffrey--not just her Pern books but Acorna and Pegasus in Space. She's actually the only sci-fi author I've ever finished a book of, unless we're counting certain YA dystopias (where, I find, the science doesn't much impact the story, so I'm not sure it counts at all).

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't know there was such a thing as hard fantasy and am now fascinated to explore it.

I don't know if it's an "official" subgenre one can include in a query. I've heard the term used in two different ways.

One describes fantasy set in pre-modern societies that doesn't incorporate magic as such, where any speculative elements (such as the existence of dragons) are explained, or at least presented as being plausible without magic or gods or whatever. In the Lady Trent books, dragons are evolved creatures that have bones that are made of a very light and strong matrix (I assume that's why they can fly) that can be used to make airships. They also have "fantastic breath" that is generated via biological means. The main character is a "lady naturalist" who works her way through the restrictions of her society to study the dragons, but you don't see wizards or gods walking around lobbing fireballs. The normal laws of physics and nature are obeyed overall.

It's not science fiction because the setting is one that appeals to traditional fantasy readers, and also, there's not a real emphasis on futuristic technology, science or sociology.

Another definition I've seen for "hard fantasy" are fantasies with magic that is is explained mechanistically and logically, once one gets past the implausibility of the basic premise of magic existing. For instance, the magic system obeys the laws of thermodynamics and can't produce something from nothing and so on.

Last edited: