Ever wonder what zoos and aquariums do when in the path of disaster?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
They've gotten better at caring for companion animals during disasters in recent years, and at letting people take their pets with them into some shelters. I'm sure that some still think it's offensive to worry about animals when humans are in danger (and not always as well cared for as they should be), but I think it's good that we're becoming more compassionate as a society and worrying about the other creatures that depend on us.

Still, how many of us have wondered what zoos and aquariums do to keep their charges safe during disasters? Evacuating can be very stressful for wild animals.

This article attempts to answer this question. As it turns out, they nearly always shelter in place, but they take pains to keep the animals fed and as safe as they can. Comprehensive disaster plans are required for accreditation.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/54898...room-how-zoos-and-aquariums-handle-hurricanes

I imagine that men's room needed some cleaning after the flamingos were done with it. I love the way they're all staring at themselves in the mirror.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One of the things that gives me some faith in humanity is how keepers looks after their animals. I once spoke to a zoo keeper who had to evacuate large cats at the last minutes. They sedated and boxed them. At unboxing as she explained the just hoped they were still asleep. Fortunately they were.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name--a Sikh greeting)

My mother used to be a docent at the San Diego Zoo. There was one occasion when the Wild Animal Park (I think it's now called Wildlife Safari Park, which is an extension of the zoo, but near Escondido) was in direct line of a major wildfire. Mom told me they shooed all the animals out of their barns and locked the empty barns, so the animals wouldn't go back in and get burned. All of the animals went down to the water and stood there with their backs to the wind. They knew what to do.

The exception was the condors, whose flight cage was clearly going to get charred. They care about all their animals, but if the condors burned it could mean extinction. So all trained personnel went in and tried to catch the birds. The personnel got puked and pooped on (that's what condors do to dissuade attackers), but they finally caught all the birds and moved them into a fireproof building that was less likely to get hit by the fire.

All the condors survived. But two animals did not. I'm not remembering which ones they were, but both were hoofed animals IIRC and both died of burns.

As a side note, most of the personnel who saved the condors and got attacked for their pains had their own animals at home, many of which were at risk during that fire also.

I believe this was the big fire in 2007, but it might have been the one in 2003.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
I always worry for the animals, too. Not that I lack compassion for the people. It's just that these animals are captive, in many cases are debilitated in some way, and potentially among the last of their kind. People... well, they can flee.

I live about a quarter mile from a zoo. A small creek flows between our home and the zoo. I remember saying to my beloved, when we toured this house before we bought it, that in the event of a major zoo escape, I would happily follow the creek, run through the woods and fields, collect all the animals and store them in my sunroom. I would sacrifice my home for any of them, especially the otters and red pandas and squirrel monkeys and bats... Kidding, of course. But also not kidding.

I do feel for the zoo keepers. They must secure the animals and their homes. And then they must worry.