Equifax Hack: 44% of Americans Had Their SSN, names & birthdate stolen

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. THIS is a reason to freakin' lose it!

Equifax says a giant cybersecurity breach compromised the personal information of as many as 143 million Americans — almost half the country.

Cyber criminals have accessed sensitive information -- including names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver's licenses.

Additionally, Equifax said that credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. customers were exposed, as was "personal identifying information" on roughly 182,000 U.S. customers involved in credit report disputes. Residents in the U.K. and Canada were also impacted.

The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said. The company said it discovered the hack on July 29.

"This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do," said Equifax chairman and CEO Richard F. Smith.

Equifax is one of three nationwide credit-reporting companies that track and rates the financial history of U.S. consumers. The companies are supplied with data about loans, loan payments and credit cards, as well as information on everything from child support payments, credit limits,missed rent and utilities payments, addresses and employer history, which all factor into credit scores.

Unlike other data breaches, not all of the people affected by the Equifax breach may be aware that they're customers of the company. Equifax gets its data from credit card companies, banks, retailers, and lenders who report on the credit activity of individuals to credit reporting agencies, as well as by purchasing public records.

Consumers can check to see if they've potentially been impacted by submitting their last name and the last six digits of their social security number. Those affected will be given a date to enroll in free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services.

So run right out there and give your last name and last six digits of your social security to a company that just got jacked for the private information of nearly half the country.

No way that could end badly! :evil :cry::evil

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and here's a real coincidence...

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

Equifax said in the statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm sure they will offer to watch over our credit for a few months. O_O

The number is even more astounding if you figure it's 44% of ALL Americans, but 70% of adults. Kids have SSNs, but they don't have Equifax "accounts" (as if we "open" them) until they turn 18.

Equifax stock "took a hit." It's only worth $133 a share after closing today. *silent scream* WHY didn't it go to ZERO? This company should be put out of business. Now.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Part of me is saying, "well #$%!." Another part of me is saying, "Well, I had my identity stolen once back in the 1990s. I caught the issue almost immediately and played an instrumental role in catching the thief. I didn't die. Hence, this is a pain in the ass, but not tragic. And definitely business as usual in end-game capitalism."

Sigh. This is turning out to be an extraordinarily cynical day...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Kind of person I just want to slap some sense into cause, obviously, he doesn't have any.

Given that he sold his stock in the nick of time, he's got plenty of sense. Common decency? Not so much.

ETA: Apologies to Mr. Smith who was apparently NOT one of the insider traders. He is not a crook, and I shouldn't have said so without verification.

I stand by my common decency comment, though.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is appalling, but I suspect this won't be the last time something like this happens. The internet is growing faster than our ability to keep our information secure, and we often have to put our trust in companies that aren't up to the task. I don't know what the solution is, because we're already past the point where we can live without it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They have a site you can check your last name and last 6 of your SSN to see if you were on the list. I was reluctant but went ahead anyway, figuring how many companies have my full name and last 4 of my SSN. It said I was not affected.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Medicare and my SSN is already everywhere (I even had to give it to pharmacies over the phone when I was trying to get approval for medical supplies). I checked and am apparently affected, as is my husband. This should be fun.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Those affected will be given a date to enroll in free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services.
Oh great. And what prevents this service from being hacked?

I was not on the list, but they asked me to register anyway.

Register?

Me?

With Equifax?

Bend forward.

-cb

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

Equifax said in the statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

As Malcolm Nance would say "Coincidence takes a lot of planning."

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Equifax is one of "The Big Three" credit reporting agencies, among other services they provide. That score that says how good your credit is? That.

Give them your information?

They likely already have it.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Equifax is one of "The Big Three" credit reporting agencies, among other services they provide. That score that says how good your credit is? That.

Give them your information?

They likely already have it.

I'm seeing today they stored our most basic personal-identification IN PLAIN TEXT! They have no business in this business.

And yes, Luciferical, they DO have it. THEY should be letting US know if we're at risk, not the other way around. Good point.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked and I'm affected. :Soapbox:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm not affected, but I'm still gonna watch my cards like a hawk. I do that anyway, but...

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not affected, but I'm still gonna watch my cards like a hawk. I do that anyway, but...
I do, too, and watch my bank and investment statements, and shred whatever paper that has identifying information, but what else should I/we be doing?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com

Are any of them named "Clinton" or perhaps women? If not, there will be no investigation to speak of and minor if any consequences.