bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Equifax Hack: 44% of Americans Had Their SSN, names & birthdate stolen

Me Against the World nighttimer's Avatar

Unhappy Equifax Hack: 44% of Americans Had Their SSN, names & birthdate stolen

Okay. THIS is a reason to freakin' lose it!

Equifax says a giant cybersecurity breach compromised the personal information of as many as 143 million Americans ó almost half the country.

Cyber criminals have accessed sensitive information -- including names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver's licenses.

Additionally, Equifax said that credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. customers were exposed, as was "personal identifying information" on roughly 182,000 U.S. customers involved in credit report disputes. Residents in the U.K. and Canada were also impacted.

The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said. The company said it discovered the hack on July 29.

"This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do," said Equifax chairman and CEO Richard F. Smith.

Equifax is one of three nationwide credit-reporting companies that track and rates the financial history of U.S. consumers. The companies are supplied with data about loans, loan payments and credit cards, as well as information on everything from child support payments, credit limits,missed rent and utilities payments, addresses and employer history, which all factor into credit scores.

Unlike other data breaches, not all of the people affected by the Equifax breach may be aware that they're customers of the company. Equifax gets its data from credit card companies, banks, retailers, and lenders who report on the credit activity of individuals to credit reporting agencies, as well as by purchasing public records.

Consumers can check to see if they've potentially been impacted by submitting their last name and the last six digits of their social security number. Those affected will be given a date to enroll in free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services.

So run right out there and give your last name and last six digits of your social security to a company that just got jacked for the private information of nearly half the country.

No way that could end badly!
    ďIt is dangerous to be an American Negro male. America has never wanted its Negroes to be men, and does not, generally, treat them as men. It treats them as mascots, pets, or things.Ē
    ~ James Baldwin

Watch This Space

Me Against the World nighttimer's Avatar
    Oh, and here's a real coincidence...

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

Equifax said in the statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

wow.
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

No, you're the grease monkey. Fruitbat's Avatar

So, so much lately. WTF, is it the end times?
    Last edited by Fruitbat; 09-08-2017 at 04:03 AM.
    Story Prompts That Work: 52 Detailed, Tested Story Starters for Short Stories and Flash Fiction (for Adults and Teens)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mpts+that+work

Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...0670797&sr=1-1

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-House-L...fee+house+lies

Blog: http://carlyberg.com/

"...a disappointing event for our company."

Dude.
    September goal: Produce a second draft: ​DONE ​and now on to the third draft!

THE COLD BETWEEN - Out now

REMNANTS OF TRUST - Out now
    BREACH OF CONTAINMENT - Preorderable - EXCERPT available HERE

author page | sporadically-updated blog | twitter | facebook

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    I'm sure they will offer to watch over our credit for a few months. O_O

The number is even more astounding if you figure it's 44% of ALL Americans, but 70% of adults. Kids have SSNs, but they don't have Equifax "accounts" (as if we "open" them) until they turn 18.

Equifax stock "took a hit." It's only worth $133 a share after closing today. *silent scream* WHY didn't it go to ZERO? This company should be put out of business. Now.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

practical experience, FTW
    Part of me is saying, "well #$%!." Another part of me is saying, "Well, I had my identity stolen once back in the 1990s. I caught the issue almost immediately and played an instrumental role in catching the thief. I didn't die. Hence, this is a pain in the ass, but not tragic. And definitely business as usual in end-game capitalism."

Sigh. This is turning out to be an extraordinarily cynical day...

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    "...a disappointing event for our company."

Dude.
    Kind of person I just want to slap some sense into cause, obviously, he doesn't have any.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    Kind of person I just want to slap some sense into cause, obviously, he doesn't have any.
    Given that he sold his stock in the nick of time, he's got plenty of sense. Common decency? Not so much.

ETA: Apologies to Mr. Smith who was apparently NOT one of the insider traders. He is not a crook, and I shouldn't have said so without verification.

I stand by my common decency comment, though.
    Last edited by lizmonster; 09-08-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Correcting the record
    September goal: Produce a second draft: ​DONE ​and now on to the third draft!

THE COLD BETWEEN - Out now

REMNANTS OF TRUST - Out now
    BREACH OF CONTAINMENT - Preorderable - EXCERPT available HERE

author page | sporadically-updated blog | twitter | facebook

This is appalling, but I suspect this won't be the last time something like this happens. The internet is growing faster than our ability to keep our information secure, and we often have to put our trust in companies that aren't up to the task. I don't know what the solution is, because we're already past the point where we can live without it.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    They have a site you can check your last name and last 6 of your SSN to see if you were on the list. I was reluctant but went ahead anyway, figuring how many companies have my full name and last 4 of my SSN. It said I was not affected.

I'm on Medicare and my SSN is already everywhere (I even had to give it to pharmacies over the phone when I was trying to get approval for medical supplies). I checked and am apparently affected, as is my husband. This should be fun.

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nighttimer View Post
    Those affected will be given a date to enroll in free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services.
    Oh great. And what prevents this service from being hacked?

I was not on the list, but they asked me to register anyway.

Register?

Me?

With Equifax?

Bend forward.

-cb
    Last edited by cbenoi1; 09-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post

So, so much lately. WTF, is it the end times?
    Add the earthquake in Mexico to the list.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/08/americ...ico/index.html

-cb

Read Banned Books AW Moderator regdog's Avatar

Three Equifax Inc. senior executives sold shares worth almost $1.8 million in the days after the company discovered a security breach that may have compromised information on about 143 million U.S. consumers.

The credit-reporting service said late Thursday in a statement that it discovered the intrusion on July 29. Regulatory filings show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble sold shares worth $946,374 and Joseph Loughran, president of U.S. information solutions, exercised options to dispose of stock worth $584,099. Rodolfo Ploder, president of workforce solutions, sold $250,458 of stock on Aug. 2. None of the filings lists the transactions as being part of 10b5-1 pre-scheduled trading plans.

Equifax said in the statement that intruders accessed names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and driver’s-license numbers, as well as credit-card numbers for about 209,000 consumers. The incident ranks among the largest cybersecurity breaches in history.

As Malcolm Nance would say "Coincidence takes a lot of planning."
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

practical experience, FTW Luciferical's Avatar
    Equifax is one of "The Big Three" credit reporting agencies, among other services they provide. That score that says how good your credit is? That.

Give them your information?

They likely already have it.

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferical View Post
    Equifax is one of "The Big Three" credit reporting agencies, among other services they provide. That score that says how good your credit is? That.

Give them your information?

They likely already have it.
    I'm seeing today they stored our most basic personal-identification IN PLAIN TEXT! They have no business in this business.

And yes, Luciferical, they DO have it. THEY should be letting US know if we're at risk, not the other way around. Good point.
    I have two Me's now

The IRL me:

Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology

practical experience, FTW Tazlima's Avatar
    Just checked and I'm affected.
    "One of the hardest things to do, I think, is learn to trust your own creativity." - Ambrosia

There really ought to be a death penalty for corporations.

Techno-Cathar Perfect Diana Hignutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    I like the way you think.
    Read my New Science Fiction Novel, A Dancer in the Infinite as a Serial (updated at least twice weekly) on My blog:
    The Many Worlds of Diana Hignutt

Buy Moonsword on Amazon Kindle

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I'm not affected, but I'm still gonna watch my cards like a hawk. I do that anyway, but...
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

practical experience, FTW Luciferical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    You don't understand. Equifax is too big to fai... err... die.

Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    I'm not affected, but I'm still gonna watch my cards like a hawk. I do that anyway, but...
    I do, too, and watch my bank and investment statements, and shred whatever paper that has identifying information, but what else should I/we be doing?

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyv View Post
    what else should I/we be doing?
    Living completely off the grid, apparently.
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 09/05/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

Are any of them named "Clinton" or perhaps women? If not, there will be no investigation to speak of and minor if any consequences.
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast