Subgenre classification help?

Hoovlette

Mommy of Two (Soon-to-be three)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered a million different ways, asked by a million different people. However, no matter how much I research, I'm so uncertain on what subgenre my book falls in. It is definitely YA.

Basic plot - Set in the US, around 2085. Thirteenth Amendment has been repealed years previously and encompasses all races, ages and genders. Main character is female, and was purchased for unsavory type things. The course of the book shows her improvement after she is removed from her abusive situation, and finding who she really is.

It is not any sort of fantasy. To me, it doesn't seem to be Sci Fi, but I suppose it could fall there. Speculative is the best I could come up with when I was researching subgenres, trying to find a fit. But I've also read that Speculative sorta, kinda isn't really one. So I'm lost. Any thoughts?

If you need more info on the book, let me know! Thank you in advance!

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Based on your description, I'd say it's dystopian YA, though the labels speculative YA or soft SF also seem fine to me.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Based on your description, I'd say it's dystopian YA, though the labels speculative YA or soft SF also seem fine to me.

I was going to say dystopian, but I wasn't sure that was technically a genre. It's what the Wiki articles class THG and Divergent as, though, so I figure it serves the main purpose of a genre--telling agents/editors/readers whether it's the kind of book they tend to enjoy.

Hoovlette

Mommy of Two (Soon-to-be three)
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to you both!

See, I considered dystopian, but I didn't feel like that really fit either. But I suppose my personal opinion of dystopian is a setting in which the world has gone ka-blewy and become way outside the norm of our lives now. In my book, the world continues as usual, with the exception of slavery being reinstated.

I found this, just now:

A futuristic, imagined universe in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucratic, technological, moral, or totalitarian control.

So I suppose it would actually make sense. Kind of. The only people oppressed are the slaves. Everyone else is living "normal" lives like we do today.