AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Craig Johnson's Longmire series

practical experience, FTW

Craig Johnson's Longmire series

I'm a fan of the TV series, and just a few days ago came across the first novel by Craig Johnson in the series, titled (nicely) The Cold Dish. So far, about 1/4 of the way in, I'm impressed. Johnson did a really good job of introducing the major characters in the context of an actual story incident, and his skill with words is evident throughout. It's first-person narrative, which I hope doesn't get old, but so far, no feeling of that. Clever, often funny, and well done, IMO.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

the original blond bombshell MaryMumsy's Avatar
    I started reading the books because of the series. I find I like the books better. Even though the books are sequential, the only one that really doesn't stand alone is "Hell Is Empty". I think anyone who picked that one up first would be totally lost. There are also two novellas and a collection of short stories.

The newest one released yesterday, but I won't get my copy until next week.

MM
    When I'm good, I'm very good; but when I'm bad, I'm better.

That is Mae West, not me.

This thread may be the push I needed. I'd intended to try the books when I first started watching the series, but it didn't happen. In my experience, about 85% or 90% of the time, the written source material is as good as or, more often, better than the TV series or movie.

I also admire how the actor who plays Longmire gives no hint of his being from Australia. How good is that American accents, to fool the native speakers?
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    I also admire how the actor who plays Longmire gives no hint of his being from Australia. How good is that American accents, to fool the native speakers?
    Actually, the Robert Taylor who plays Walt Longmire may not be the Australian actor with the same name. I'll have to check.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett