Craig Johnson's Longmire series

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the TV series, and just a few days ago came across the first novel by Craig Johnson in the series, titled (nicely) The Cold Dish. So far, about 1/4 of the way in, I'm impressed. Johnson did a really good job of introducing the major characters in the context of an actual story incident, and his skill with words is evident throughout. It's first-person narrative, which I hope doesn't get old, but so far, no feeling of that. Clever, often funny, and well done, IMO.

caw

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading the books because of the series. I find I like the books better. Even though the books are sequential, the only one that really doesn't stand alone is "Hell Is Empty". I think anyone who picked that one up first would be totally lost. There are also two novellas and a collection of short stories.

The newest one released yesterday, but I won't get my copy until next week.

MM

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread may be the push I needed. I'd intended to try the books when I first started watching the series, but it didn't happen. In my experience, about 85% or 90% of the time, the written source material is as good as or, more often, better than the TV series or movie.

I also admire how the actor who plays Longmire gives no hint of his being from Australia. How good is that American accents, to fool the native speakers?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I also admire how the actor who plays Longmire gives no hint of his being from Australia. How good is that American accents, to fool the native speakers?

Actually, the Robert Taylor who plays Walt Longmire may not be the Australian actor with the same name. I'll have to check.

caw