What to ask an agents' clients before signing?

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm happy to say I got an offer of rep the other day (yay!) and the agent encouraged me to reach out to her clients.

I drafted a letter and came up with 7 questions so far. I don't plan to make it much longer, but I don't want to miss any really smart questions, either. I need to send the letter soon but I thought I'd just pop in here to see if anyone has any suggestions for what to ask. Your answers could always help the next person if they're too late for me. :)

I should add I've researched this agent, here in the Bewares thread and at Writer Beware and AAR and Publishers Marketplace, so I don't have any questions about her basic legitimacy or capabilities.

(I didn't see this subject in a search of the first several pages here, but if it's come up recently feel free to direct me instead).

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
What questions are you planning to ask?

YMMV, but when I'm contacted by people seeking information, I'm much less likely to answer seven questions than to answer one or two.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would ask if they find the agent communicates in a timely fashion. (Not necessarily "immediately" but they aren't left hanging for months with no response.) And I would ask if the publishers they've sold books to are in line with goals/vision originally discussed with the agent. (Obviously, you might want to sell to the Big Five and wind up with a smaller publisher, but you want an agent who is following through on their submission plan - not someone who says "We'll pitch the big folks," and instead targets pubs you could submit to yourself.)

I'm sure there are other questions you could ask, but, personally, those are the things that you can't find out through other sources.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
What questions are you planning to ask?

YMMV, but when I'm contacted by people seeking information, I'm much less likely to answer seven questions than to answer one or two.

In my letter, I invite them to answer as little or as much as they would like to, and I ensure confidentiality.

In addition to Aggy's suggestions, I was going to ask:

How long has <agent> been your agent? (I could try to look this up but it's a quick one to answer and lends some weight to their answers.)
How is she at understanding your vision, thoughts, and doubts about your projects or other aspects of this business?
Does she seem to be on good terms with a lot of editors in your book’s genre? Have any editors’ “doors” closed unexpectedly?
Is there anything in her contract with you that you wish were different? If so, please elaborate.
What would you say is the trait you most appreciate about her? If you had to name a weakness of hers, what would it be?

Do any of those questions sound inappropriate or need rephrasing?

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I just started out with "would you mind sharing your experience with [Agent]?" People are usually pretty forthcoming, since they were where you were and probably know the kinds of things you're curious about. And then specific follow-up questions if there's anything they didn't say at first.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeneral. That's what I was thinking of doing first and I may go with that. I thought it might help people if I provide things to ponder, and I was going to say 'just answer what you feel like and leave the rest,' but you make the good point that they've been where I'm at.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
How is she at understanding your vision, thoughts, and doubts about your projects or other aspects of this business?

Some authors want a less hands-on relationship, some want more editing, etc. I wonder if describing what you want, in a phrase, might help other authors address the agent's possible fit.

Does she seem to be on good terms with a lot of editors in your book’s genre? Have any editors’ “doors” closed unexpectedly?

Each book is different, and I'm not sure how much this will tell you. (I.e., did a door "close" because of the agent--or the manuscript?) IIRC from reading Query Shark and Janet Reid, asking questions like this might put an agent off you, because it might feel like second-guessing an agent in their area of expertise. It's your call, of course.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jeneral that a very general "Wld you mind sharing your experience w/ soandso" is going to be a lot more useful and would probably garner a more extensive reply. I did that before and received information I didn't even think of asking, simply because the client knew specific stuff about the agent which I didn't.

Anyway, congratulations on the offer!! I think it's a promising sign when an agent is so open with having you contact her other clients. I hope everything works out well!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats on the offer!

I'd keep it simple. A lengthy questionnaire is no fun to fill out and will probably cut your responses rather than improve them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal