Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello the Aussies (1) The Marriage Equality Postal Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    I wrote a comment about that clown Roger Corbett last night, but deleted it because of its...er...lack of restraint. If that's the best the No case can offer, this ought to be a rout.
    That's the guy. Embarrassing, but also hateful covered up with a whole lot of Kindly White Grandpa schtick. But gee he was ready to snap, I thought.

Meanwhile, Springwood, in the Blue Mountains, had a tree with paper hearts in rainbow colours to show support to the gay community. It's been taken down - sigh - but on their facebook page (Springwood Tree of Love) they're suggesting everyone grab some coloured paper and textas and start leaving rainbow hearts on a tree in their own town. Which I will certainly do. What a lovely idea!
    Last edited by mccardey; 09-19-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Makes me wonder how he would have voted in the 1967 referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Makes me wonder how he would have voted in the 1967 referendum.
    In a Kindly White Grandpa way. For their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    They're causing so much grief and angst to absolutely no purpose.

ETA: And that idiot conservative on the ABC last night who defended the no vote on the basis that Separate But Equal was fine, and after all a black man couldn't become a white man. Ugh. Seeing the worst of Australia - just for a change. It's been all downhill for so long now.
    But the grief and angst IS the purpose. Like that article I posted the other week in the other thread said, the reactionaries know they're going to lose in the long run. The one strategy they have to delay the inevitable is to make it clear to us that all future changes will come with immense emotional cost, and the culture wars will be dragged out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    But the grief and angst IS the purpose. Like that article I posted the other week in the other thread said, the reactionaries know they're going to lose in the long run. The one strategy they have to delay the inevitable is to make it clear to us that all future changes will come with immense emotional cost, and the culture wars will be dragged out forever.
    Yes, you're right of course. I just have trouble remembering that people can be that venal - because this is In Order To Save Their Jobs as much as any ideology.

Man, I thought my three extra surveys was bad. A woman in Brunswick has had seventeen dumped at her place.
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

here be all the query exercises

I realised too late that there were probably some unopened forms in the recycling bin at the post office, along with the usual tractor catalogues and Bob Katter newsletters. Not that I would have done anything with them, of course.

A fb friend of mine says she called ABS and was told that it was legit to vote on behalf of house-hold members who are travelling. She's very happy - she's 4 x happy.

A fb friend of mine says she called ABS and was told that it was legit to vote on behalf of house-hold members who are travelling. She's very happy - she's 4 x happy.
    Wait, what?

Seriously, this survey has no validity whatsoever (unless it comes back 100% Yes, in which case I'll happily accept the veracity of the result. )
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/ Beanie5's Avatar
    So angry.
    Live a poem. Or die a fool^

Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    I know that. It's why I posted what I did. There is absolutely no argument that is not religious or personal prejudice against gay marriage.
    Yep. When same sex marriage was finally legalized in my own state, some couples I know who had been together a long time got legally married. The sky has not fallen.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 09-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie5 View Post
    So angry.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    I know that. It's why I posted what I did. There is absolutely no argument that is not religious or personal prejudice against gay marriage.
    I've heard plenty of arguments that claim to be rational and fact based, but they're all entirely specious and based on false assumptions, or are built on non falsifiable claims, or are outright lies. I don't know how many people who make these arguments actually believe them versus simply using them to hide their bigotry. Sometimes it can be both, I suspect.

I'm so sorry you guys are having to deal with this right now.

Trans-equatorial (and oceanic) hugs from another person who loves so many things about her own country but is deeply ashamed of its government at the moment.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 09-19-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/ Beanie5's Avatar
    These sanctimonious bulls**** who don't care. Playing with peoples lives and pointing fingers at the angry people out there who have to contain there ire so they can't say, see i told you so... i really really want to rip em a new one but thats what they want arrrrgh!!!
    Last edited by Beanie5; 09-19-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    Live a poem. Or die a fool^

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    The sky has not fallen.
    One of the No arguments going around is "Look at what's happened in countries where it has been legalised! Children are forced to learn about and become gender fluid at school! Religious freedoms have been curtailed! Freedom of speech is being lost!"

Which is all absolute bullshit, of course, but somehow they're allowed to get away with making such ridiculous assertions unopposed. And a certain cohort of people are either willing or desperate to cling to that kind of "logic" as permission to vote against SSM. Hopefully they're just a loud minority though, and not a shifting groundswell towards No like it feels at the moment.

As beanie said so succinctly ... so angry.
    Last edited by be frank; 09-19-2017 at 09:54 AM.

I've also read that it's the first ploy in a Muslim plot to make child-marriage legal. Which makes just as much sense.

Think of the things we could focus on if this wasn't happening.
    Last edited by mccardey; 09-19-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Got home to find my form stuck half out of my locked letterbox. Like you couldn't have pushed it all the way in like you do with every other item of mail? Thanks, Australia Post. It's a good thing I go home at lunch.

I've sent it on its way already.

Boy do I miss the days of going home at lunch! There's something to be said for small-town life.

At least your form's arrived now. Travel well on your return-journey, Alby's survey. May you not meet any Bob Katter newsletters on your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by be frank View Post
    One of the No arguments going around is "Look at what's happened in countries where it has been legalised! Children are forced to learn about and become gender fluid at school! Religious freedoms have been curtailed! Freedom of speech is being lost!"
    This kind of pissing and moaning does happen over here. People who whine about freedom of speech being curtailed when no one has been arrested for spouting homophobic BS or been forbidden by the government from expressing these views in whichever space, venue or forum will have them. People who insist that their freedom of religion is threatened when no one has told them what house of worship they may attend or has tried to force a denomination that doesn't accept same-sex marriage to perform such ceremonies.

Anything short of a theocracy is discriminating against their religion. Anyone who disagrees with them or offers a counter argument is infringing on their right to be an unchallenged a*****e.

You can't reach people like this with logical arguments. I don't know if they believe what they're saying, or if they're just complete jerks who use religion as an excuse because it's the one card they have left to play that gets them any sympathy at all.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 09-19-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post

Anything short of a theocracy is discriminating against their religion. Anyone who disagrees with them or offers a counter argument is infringing on their right to be an unchallenged a*****e.
    And you can imagine how thrilled they'd be if some other religion tried to make the same argument against their rights.

And you can imagine how thrilled they'd be if some other religion tried to make the same argument against their rights.
    I do find it (mildly) amusing how the same people bleating about losing their religious freedoms are often the same ones demanding a burqa ban.

Anyway, this happened
    Following an appearance by Mr Corbett on the ABC's 7.30 program on Monday night in which he outlined his reasons for voting No in the postal survey, Woolworths took to social media to calm angry shoppers who mistakenly thought Mr Corbett still ran the supermarket chain and who threatened to take their business elsewhere."Mr Corbett is a former employee and his views do not represent Woolworths," the company said on Twitter.
    and
    An attached statement read: 'We believe marriage equality is not just a social but also a workplace issue. For that reason, we pledged our support for marriage equality in August.

"We're proud to embrace diversity and want to be a community where all our people are free to be themselves without fear of prejudice or discrimination.

"Diversity means recognising and respecting our differences, including religious and political beliefs."

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    A brother of one of my daughter-in-laws is gay and married his partner. They are the nicest couple of guys you could wish to meet and he holds a very responsible position in a big industry. My 9 and 7 year-old grand-daughters were chatting and the younger one asked if they would have any children. The other grand-daughter replied very seriously. "No. They're gay so they can't have children, but they can adopt and look after a child if they wish. I hope they do - they would make lovely parents."

If my grandkids are like others- and I hope they are- as the years pass SSM will hopefully cease to be an issue.
    Last edited by Bufty; 09-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Everything yields to treatment.

We've had far too many state try and enact "Defense of Marriage" bills or plainly speaking, legalized discrimination under the guise of religion. Michigan is the most recent to pass it through their legislature. Most are strung down upon appeals to high courts as discriminatory.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

It's why they're so scared of Islam. In its most radical forms they see a twisted mirror of their own beliefs. Of course they have to paint the whole faith with their characteristically wide brush too. To them Christianity=what they believe and Islam=what ISIS believes.

Quote Originally Posted by be frank View Post
    I do find it (mildly) amusing how the same people bleating about losing their religious freedoms are often the same ones demanding a burqa ban.
    Funny how concerned they are about the welfare of women all of a sudden, isn't it?
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 09-19-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast