Hello the Aussies (1) The Marriage Equality Postal Survey

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When the Marriage Equality Referendum happened in Ireland, the No arguments came down to some variation of "think of the children". They talked about surrogacy (I agree there are ethical issues with commercial surrogacy, but most people using surrogates are hetero couples). Or they talked about adoption without mentioning that adoption is currently rare in Ireland (there were something like 5 babies and 25 foster children adopted by non-relatives in the year before the referendum; I'm told Australia has equivalent numbers) and the process for adoptive parents is tortuously thorough.

The Yes campaign also concentrated on family -- but in a more positive way. It was all about "gay people are our siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. so let's not stand in the way of making them happy". There was an effort to get young people to vote, and also to reach out to older people who might have doubts (e.g. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soc...make-video-urging-marriage-equality-1.2132252).

Now we have a gay Prime Minister, and most people are less concerned by his sexuality than his political policies (oddly enough, he's one of the most right-wing leaders we've have for years).

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Gak! "Think of the children" is a dreadful argument. What makes the No case even more ridiculous is that adoption by same sex couples is legal pretty much everywhere in Australia*, as is non-commercial surrogacy**

*Except for NT
** NT and WA allow it in certain circumstances

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
*barges in*

*leans on door frame to regain breath*

Not relevant to this thread...*gulps air*...but Senator Colon's mad research skillz are currently on display in the High Court.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Gak! "Think of the children" is a dreadful argument. What makes the No case even more ridiculous is that adoption by same sex couples is legal pretty much everywhere in Australia*, as is non-commercial surrogacy**

It's as if they've forgotten than people can have children with or without marriage (although marriage does make the legal issues easier). If they want to debate surrogacy and adoption, then debate surrogacy and adoption; these issues are not unique to gay couples.

If occurs to me that the same arguments against gay marriage could be used against allowing elderly people to marry. After all, they can't have biological children together, and some people find it distasteful to think they're having sex at all!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Aaaaand the survey's officially closed. According to the ABS, 78.5% of eligible voters have returned their forms.

Polls are still showing a huge lead to Yes, but the same modelling company who successfully predicted both Brexit and Trump say they expect a narrow win to the No camp. Ugh. Please let them be wrong on this. I can't bear the thought of the No scaremongers winning. Please let Australia be better than that.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
A week, I think. The 15th?

- - - Updated - - -

I both can't wait and don't want to know.

eta: Yep. 10am on 15 November.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm so scared No is going to win. I just have this awful feeling in my gut. I so hope I'm wrong, though.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hell Yeah, Australia.

YES WINS!!!! LOVE WINS!!!

:TheWave::TheWave:

:PartySmil:PartySmil

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Just to update, the marriage equality act passed the Senate today 43 votes to 12 (with some abstaining). Now back to the lower house for a final (hopefully smooth) sign-off, then we might actually pass this thing into law!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There's been some magnificently scathing commentary from journos about the no voters. I hope those pollies get what's coming to them at the next election.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I especially love Eric Abetz's "only dead fish go with the flow" arseholery before he (unsurprisingly) voted no.

Uh, no, dickhead ... you're a representative of your constituents. You should vote according to their wishes.

Also, can we start a campaign for Magda Szubanski to be next year's Australian of the Year?

Last edited:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
wonder why people seem to have no problem thinking up names to call her

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Omg! In his address to the Reps, Tim Wilson just popped the question to his partner, Ryan, who is sitting in the gallery. And Ryan's 'yes' was read into Hansard.

ETA: video via Twitter: https://twitter.com/lukehgomes/status/937480490814136320

And I'm not crying. It's just hayfever.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Over here, I'm claiming it's the smoke from last summer's forest fires.
Heckuva chance he took - what if his partner, taken by surprise, had sat mute?
A brave man, and all the best to both of them, and all of you. As I've said before: SSM hasn't hurt Canada.

Last edited: