AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello the Aussies (1) The Marriage Equality Postal Survey

practical experience, FTW autumnleaf's Avatar
    When the Marriage Equality Referendum happened in Ireland, the No arguments came down to some variation of "think of the children". They talked about surrogacy (I agree there are ethical issues with commercial surrogacy, but most people using surrogates are hetero couples). Or they talked about adoption without mentioning that adoption is currently rare in Ireland (there were something like 5 babies and 25 foster children adopted by non-relatives in the year before the referendum; I'm told Australia has equivalent numbers) and the process for adoptive parents is tortuously thorough.

The Yes campaign also concentrated on family -- but in a more positive way. It was all about "gay people are our siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, etc. so let's not stand in the way of making them happy". There was an effort to get young people to vote, and also to reach out to older people who might have doubts (e.g. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...lity-1.2132252).

Now we have a gay Prime Minister, and most people are less concerned by his sexuality than his political policies (oddly enough, he's one of the most right-wing leaders we've have for years).
    https://taleswildatlantic.wordpress.com/
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    ~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Gak! "Think of the children" is a dreadful argument. What makes the No case even more ridiculous is that adoption by same sex couples is legal pretty much everywhere in Australia*, as is non-commercial surrogacy**

*Except for NT
    ** NT and WA allow it in certain circumstances

*barges in*

*leans on door frame to regain breath*

Not relevant to this thread...*gulps air*...but Senator Colon's mad research skillz are currently on display in the High Court.

practical experience, FTW autumnleaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Gak! "Think of the children" is a dreadful argument. What makes the No case even more ridiculous is that adoption by same sex couples is legal pretty much everywhere in Australia*, as is non-commercial surrogacy**
    It's as if they've forgotten than people can have children with or without marriage (although marriage does make the legal issues easier). If they want to debate surrogacy and adoption, then debate surrogacy and adoption; these issues are not unique to gay couples.

If occurs to me that the same arguments against gay marriage could be used against allowing elderly people to marry. After all, they can't have biological children together, and some people find it distasteful to think they're having sex at all!
    https://taleswildatlantic.wordpress.com/
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    ~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Aaaaand the survey's officially closed. According to the ABS, 78.5% of eligible voters have returned their forms.

Polls are still showing a huge lead to Yes, but the same modelling company who successfully predicted both Brexit and Trump say they expect a narrow win to the No camp. Ugh. Please let them be wrong on this. I can't bear the thought of the No scaremongers winning. Please let Australia be better than that.
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

here be all the query exercises

When is the result released? It's pretty soon, isn't it?

A week, I think. The 15th?

- - - Updated - - -

I both can't wait and don't want to know.

eta: Yep. 10am on 15 November.
    The early bird may catch the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

I will be glued to all media outlets.

I'm so scared No is going to win. I just have this awful feeling in my gut. I so hope I'm wrong, though.

It could all be thrown into doubt now that Benjamin Law has admitted that he voted Yes to make SSM compulsory.

Hell Yeah, Australia.

YES WINS!!!! LOVE WINS!!!

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

practical experience, FTW SianaBlackwood's Avatar

Here's a page with a detailed breakdown of the results, for anyone interested: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-1...ts-ssm/9145636
    SIGNATURE OF DEATH!!!

It's pretty good at killing any WIP I list here, but I'm doing okay with trying to revive my blog. Current theme: NaNoWriMo.

Oh, Penny Wong.

Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    Oh, Penny Wong.
    I'd so love her to be PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123