Status
Not open for further replies.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Here's the Jon Stewart quote, memed by Alternet. For the full-sized image, remove the final "m" in the URL.

MaEqsrTm.jpg

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
On the specifics of this incidents there have been no disagreements. Not that I've seen.

But someone else brought up the complaint about how often officers have to deal with rude and even violent people. Since it was never a part of this incident, I responded to it as a general point.

Since no one else has seen that, I'll leave it there.

One point that I think should be crystal clear is that rude=/= violent and does not warrant a physical response (or arrest). Rude people are aggravating, and I'm sure police get more than their fair share of them, but every professional who works with people has to deal with them.

This isn't relevant to this situation, in any case, because the nurse was far from rude. But even if she had been, the officer's response was beyond unacceptable.

Last edited:

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This isn't relevant to this situation, in any case, because the nurse was far from rude. But even if she had been, the officer's response was beyond unacceptable.

Which I've said (I think) three times already. Including in my previous response to you. Have I not called for him to be fired? Repeatedly?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Which I've said (I think) three times already. Including in my previous response to you. Have I not called for him to be fired? Repeatedly?

Sort of. Your messages are so conflicting it's hard to suss out exactly what you're saying.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sort of. Your messages are so conflicting it's hard to suss out exactly what you're saying.

No way.

I frankly don't care in the least where the ER doctor was/were. Nor administrators. THIS WAS NOT EVEN A CLOSE CALL. The policy makes complete sense on Fourth Amendment grounds, and I have no reason AT ALL to believe the officer could not see that. He CHOSE to ignore it. He CHOSE to focus entirely in his own perception of authority.

I have not excused detective Payne in any way, shape, or form.

Someone else brought up that the people police deal with can be rude or even violent. Notice that I'm not saying the two are the same. I *am* saying that, since there's no such claim here of Nurse Wubbels, that I treated that point as a separate point, and addressed it independent of this incident. I have said so repeatedly, and now feel that this is being ignored.

There are cases where people turn violent on officers.

When I responded to this post, I did here, in GENERAL. In that earlier post, the topic widened to victim-blaming in general. All I said, all that I've been arguing in that sub-topic, is that there is some truth to the claim.

And I use the case of LaQuan McDonald as illustration. LaQuan McDonald was not asserting his constitutional rights. He was disobeying lawful orders. That's the "some truth" truth I've been referring to all along. NOT that this is a validation for shooting LaQuan, who, while disobeying, was not, as officers claimed, lunging at anyone, officer or otherwise.

When topics broaden as this one did at that point, there is rarely a back-and-white to the topic (pun not intended). There's usually some gray.

When we speak of specific incidents, like nurse Wubbels in this one, that gray tends to disappear. In this case, it was never there in the first place.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
About the specific incident, nothing. But:

1. The "why" that caused this cop to do such an obviously bonehead thing.

2. Does this cop have anything else on his police-duty resumé that should have raised warning flags?

caw

I think the problem goes higher than Det. Payne. Look at his field commander, the guy who came down to jawbone at the nurse while she sat handcuffed in the car. The one who boasted of 22+ years of doing search and seizure. The guy whose attitude seemed to be, "Warrants? We don't need no stinkin' warrants."

I think there's some need of housecleaning.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think the problem goes higher than Det. Payne. Look at his field commander, the guy who came down to jawbone at the nurse while she sat handcuffed in the car. The one who boasted of 22+ years of doing search and seizure. The guy whose attitude seemed to be, "Warrants? We don't need no stinkin' warrants."

I think there's some need of housecleaning.

There've been so many cases of officers behaving like this, which leads me to believe that the entire nationwide culture of what it means to be a police officer is in need of housecleaning. Disinfecting. Razing and rebuilding. Something drastic.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And deservedly so

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
And knowing that what he did was not only wrong, but illegal, why wasn't he charged with kidnapping? Firing is good and all, but in the end, he got away with committing crimes anyone else would have been charged with.

Status
Not open for further replies.