Appearance is Everything (and I've Got Nothing)

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
crampedquartersblog.wordpress.com
Dunno what’s up, but I’m snagged on my MMC’s hair and eye color. Seriously? Seriously!

I’m working on the first draft of Chapter One where MMC and FMC meet. The magic moment! No insta-love, definitely no insta-lust. But, of course, they find one another attractive. Which means I have to make him attractive, so that the reader can say, “Oh, yeah, I’d take some of that!”

But what is that, exactly?

I’d started off with the black hair/blue eyes routine. I like that, it works for me. But reviewing all the romances I’ve read in the past 6 months, looks like it works for everyone. Every time. In fact, this combo is so pervasive that I suspect that it’s already passed into cliché for many readers.
In addition, the dude is protesting my initial choice. Nope, don’t want the black hair, and you can keep the blue eyes for someone else. What else ya got? Errrr….um…ahhh…! He’s already appeared in the prologue, but the whole thing is from his POV, and he’s not going around looking in mirrors, so…nada!

Yoghurtelf had kindly suggested sandy hair and dark eyes on another thread. And I LIKED that! Until I remembered that the FMC has sort of pale brown hair, and wondered if it would be too similar. So then I started throwing every actor with whom I’m currently obsessed against the wall and no one stuck.

Started looking up regional patterns in hair/eye colors, figuring I would let genetics decide for me and end the madness. Scientists have done studies of this stuff and can tell you in which part of the UK you’re (supposedly) most likely to have which combo. Unfortunately, I could find nothing for New England except a 19th century historical work which claimed early New Englanders were not “fair Saxon” English folk, but dark haired and dark eyed. At least that jibes with the fact that he’s a tanned seafarer, and not a pale aristocrat. Definitely don’t wanna go blonde and end up with a Malibu Ken look.

It’s really bugging me that I can’t “see” this guy! I have his personality tacked down tight and have apparently been “seeing” him that way without really considering his physical appearance. I do know he’s not some super-sized guy with popping pecs, but other than that, I’m stumped. I don’t even have any specific facial characteristics. How sad is that?

I’m guess I’m going to have to wing it and circle back later when my subconscious gets off its bum and clues me in.

Anyone want to share your experience of “seeing” your character’s physical appearance and demeanor? Did you see it first, and then the personality? Vice versa? Or did you gloss over the details and leave it to the reader to fill in the blanks? And, really, how useful are specific facial characteristics? Can you really enable a reader to see a face in their imaginations as clearly as you see it in yours?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I never see faces clearly as a reader. Even when I write, I don't see my characters' faces all that clearly. *shrugs* It's just not all that big a deal to me.

Possibly somewhat related is the fact that I have trouble recognizing faces and I think I'm mildly faceblind.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Yoghurtelf had kindly suggested sandy hair and dark eyes on another thread. And I LIKED that! Until I remembered that the FMC has sort of pale brown hair, and wondered if it would be too similar.

Also...the hair/eye color decision strikes me as a bit of a...white person problem. I often write characters whose racial backgrounds mean they are likely to have dark eyes and black hair. And these people fall in love, so I don't see what's wrong with the hero and heroine having the same hair colour...

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yeah, I see no problem with your heroine having light brown hair and the hero having sandy or light brown hair as well, if that's who they are. And while I often have at least a vague physical description in place for my characters fairly early on, for the book I'm starting on (a YA)...I got nuthin'. I hope I'll figure it out soon, but it's not holding me back.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
So...a couple of thoughts.

1) my current WIP is told from deep 3rd in my FMC's POV. I know exactly what she looks like, but in the draft I had betaed, there was no place in the story for a natural description of her, so I didn't put one in. One beta remarked that she would have liked to have some reference to envision her by, the other beta didn't mention a thing. As a reader, I like a description, but I learned with my first novel, no matter what you say about your MC, people are going to see what they want. My MMC was definitely dark Italianate, and one reader still saw him as blond. As long as she was in love with him, what did I care? :D

2) I'm a big fan of the dark hair/blue eye combo IRL, but if your character is white, the chances are they're going to have some form of brown eye color. I read a blog once complaining of all the white people in books having blue or green eyes (green being the rarest eye color and yet everywhere in fiction--although in my family, it's dominant, so I'm used to it being the norm) when in reality, brown is dominant on a worldwide scale.

3) I have to have a visual for my characters, even if I never use it on the page. That's because I need to see them moving on stage as I write. (I "view" books as I read and write, like I'm watching a movie. This is a Not All Readers/Writers thing.) I don't know if you've looked at the basic Wikipedia page about eye color, but it has some demographics that might lead you to a "look" you can narrow down with an image search. If "have a visual for yourself" is important, do that. Worry about communicating it to the reader later. On the post-beta draft of my WIP, I revised a section that also opened up an opportunity for a quick description.

Whatever helps you get the writing done, words on the page, that's what should guide you. Good luck! :Hug2:

Proserpina

Registered
Reaction score
Also, Sandy haired, dark eyed can be SO many different looks. Maybe put that into google images and see if anyone looks like him? I think you'll know him when you see him.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
3) I have to have a visual for my characters, even if I never use it on the page. That's because I need to see them moving on stage as I write. (I "view" books as I read and write, like I'm watching a movie. This is a Not All Readers/Writers thing.)

I "view" what I read and write too, but the faces are kind of blank. It probably sounds weirder than it actually is.

I am a very visual person, except that I am really terrible at faces

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can't recall every being impressed by someone because of their hair color, although I am partial to long hair. And I couldn't even tell you the eye colors of my previous boyfriends, current friends or even family members. Think of times you were attracted to people, ask your friends about those times, what did they notice? What causes the attraction is not necessarily anything to do with what you may or may not need to know about your characters appearance. People only notice things are missing if you made them important. I doubt I have ever clearly described a characters eye color and no one has every mentioned that as weird.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love this part of things, even if I never actually fully describe it in writing. I like to have a picture/image or a million to sort of fuel my imagination. I keep a racy Tumblr for "inspiration" (and follow others!) as well as Evernote saves of images I like. So while I agree it probably translates differently for every reader, as a writer I can get fixated, too, on what exactly I'm imagining or seeing, if that makes any sense.

I couldn't recall the descriptions of most of the character' appearances I've read through the years, unless the description was somehow important to the story - the white/silver hair young woman is what comes to mind first, typically somehow special and usually appearing in a PNR.

Yammering on to say, I agree that it's not all that important to your readers, but I totally understand how such a detail could snag you up during your writing. I also agree that two characters can have similar hair colors without that being an issue.

And last, what about that gorgeous rich brown you never see for hair? Wiki to the rescue. Brown for men, I guess, and brunette for women? At least, that's how it divides up in my mind. That seems like a nice compromise ;p

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I find it interesting sometimes as a reader, because my interpretation of a character can clearly vary wildly form what I'm hearing described in the book. Like, "Wait, this guy has curly hair? I don't like that. I don't like it at all!" :p Of course, curly hair works sometimes, but not when I haven't been picturing the guy that way. ;)

I also have green eyes, thanks to my mum, though hers are more hazel than green. I think I got the hazel and the blue of my other family members combined into green, somehow. I don't know if that's how things are supposed to work or not.

I definitely don't think it matters if your heroine has the same or similar hair colour to your hero. That's not something that would stop me reading a book, by any means. :)

I have a hero who has dark hair and blue eyes, a hero who has lighter hair and grey eyes, and a hero who has dark hair and dark eyes. It's good to mix it up a bit. The only type I haven't written yet is a bright blonde hero. I guess I'm more partial to darker dudes, so I'm writing what I love. Not that blondies have to be a bad thing - I'm quite enjoying checking Jace out on Shadowhunters, for e.g.

EDIT: OMG, i should mention that I am fond of redheads too. NOT just because of Outlander, either. I know a guy in person who has red hair and brown eyes, due to his Maori background - he's pretty hot. :) Plus, I absolutely am in lust with Damian Lewis, particularly after seeing his show Life which went for 2 seasons only.

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I never see faces clearly as a reader. Even when I write, I don't see my characters' faces all that clearly. *shrugs* It's just not all that big a deal to me.

Possibly somewhat related is the fact that I have trouble recognizing faces and I think I'm mildly faceblind.

+1 to all of that. Including the mild face-blind thing.

I don't think I've ever cared what a character looks like in the author's head -- unless a physical feature is plot-critical or especially noteworthy, I'll picture them how I picture them based on their personality and bearing, not how the author dictates I should see them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think readers often fill in features after being given some vague parameters as to whether the features are attractive, strong, refined etc.

I personally don't like overly specific descriptions like a comparison to a famous actor.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Really? This is the first time I haven't been able to visualize a character. I don't know that I'm able to convey that image to the reader, but it's always very distinct in my mind's eye. The other characters in this WIP have hair/eye color and faces. But he's walking around with a big old blank spot where his entire head should be. Kinda spooky, really.

I don't think I've ever cared what a character looks like in the author's head -- unless a physical feature is plot-critical or especially noteworthy, I'll picture them how I picture them based on their personality and bearing, not how the author dictates I should see them.

OK! I have his personality and bearing very clear in my mind. So...maybe I should leave it up to the reader for the most part. Just choose some random hair/eye color and call it good.

I can't recall every being impressed by someone because of their hair color, although I am partial to long hair. And I couldn't even tell you the eye colors of my previous boyfriends, current friends or even family members. Think of times you were attracted to people, ask your friends about those times, what did they notice?

LOVE long hair! Eyes...for me it's not the color so much as the gaze. I've seen guys with beautiful eyes...but they're empty. And others have very ordinary eyes, but good Lord, when they look at you, you want to lunge at them and tear their clothes off. And that's what's so impossible to describe.

Plus, I absolutely am in lust with Damian Lewis, particularly after seeing his show Life which went for 2 seasons only.

Girl, I saw him in Wolf Hall and yes, I would have risked beheading if Henry 8 had looked like that.

As a reader, I like a description, but I learned with my first novel, no matter what you say about your MC, people are going to see what they want. My MMC was definitely dark Italianate, and one reader still saw him as blond. As long as she was in love with him, what did I care?

Bottom line, isn't it? The reader has to fall in love with him, and then he'll probably resemble whatever dream guy they have in their own imagination.

I think you'll know him when you see him.

I definitely will! Jenna Reads and ElaineA - thank you for the links!

So the takeaway is: readers see what they want to see; personality/demeanor is really the selling point of a character; as long as the writer has a clear mental image of the character, they're good to go; stop sweating the small stuff and get out of the way so the MMC and the FMC can get on with it already!

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I’d started off with the black hair/blue eyes routine. I like that, it works for me. But reviewing all the romances I’ve read in the past 6 months, looks like it works for everyone. Every time. In fact, this combo is so pervasive that I suspect that it’s already passed into cliché for many readers.

I think black hair and blue eyes are very sexy, and although I usually try to avoid cliches, I don't mind this one. It's also a cliche for the man to be tall, but nearly every romance has a tall hero.

Anyone want to share your experience of “seeing” your character’s physical appearance and demeanor? Did you see it first, and then the personality? Vice versa? Or did you gloss over the details and leave it to the reader to fill in the blanks? And, really, how useful are specific facial characteristics? Can you really enable a reader to see a face in their imaginations as clearly as you see it in yours?

For me, faces and personalities go together. As I work out the character's background, flaws, dreams, etc. his appearance becomes more and more clear as well.

Because everything I've written so far has been fantasy or paranormal, I try to pick specific physical features (including facial characteristics) to show that some characters aren't human or that other characters have identifying marks. I don't think readers can visualize a character exactly as I do, but it's more important to me that they see this person as having a triangular tattoo that encloses her left eye. That's the necessary detail, not her long black hair.

That said, I'll also work her hair color and eye color into the story. But I hope that what readers will remember most vividly about my characters' appearances are the unusual parts, not the hazel eyes or blond hair.

Last edited:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the men have to be super tall - but I do prefer them at least a bit taller than the heroine. I have a YA romance where the hero is only JUST taller than the heroine, because she's taller than most guys in her school.

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
For me, faces and personalities go together. As I work out the character's background, flaws, dreams, etc. his appearance becomes more and more clear as well.

This makes sense. When my characters first introduce themselves, they usually give me some kind of cursory physical description, even if it's just "I have brown hair and brown eyes." And like you, it becomes clearer to me as the personality develops. I have this guy so detailed in his personality, and still can't visualize him! Even the simplest part: hair and eyes. Aghh!

That said, I'll also work her hair color and eye color into the story. But I hope that what readers will remember most vividly about my characters' appearances are the unusual parts, not the hazel eyes or blond hair.

Very nice. I wish he had some sort of distinguishing feature. Well...maybe he does and I just can't see it! I really do want him to be unusual in some way, not just some vanilla "hot" guy because he has the requisite gorgeous hair and the sexy eyes.

I don't think the men have to be super tall - but I do prefer them at least a bit taller than the heroine. I have a YA romance where the hero is only JUST taller than the heroine, because she's taller than most guys in her school.

Agreed! I'm finding in many romances there's this crazy height disparity between the man and the woman. He's a towering giant and she's a tiny little thing. It's creepy because I keep visualizing her looking up his nostrils (and I know that view well 'cause my ex was 6'4" and I'm 5'8") or being at eye-level with his navel. I like it when the hero is just a bit taller - I feel that being face to face while standing seems to heighten the sense of intimacy. They don't have to be horizontal to properly mesh, facially speaking! And I think I have a problem with her looking way, way UP at him all the time. Like an adoring dog.

So at least I have a few things drawn in for him: long hair (pretty much a given for the era), strong and lean (all that hauling anchor and climbing shrouds stuff), and only a bit above the average height for a man. I'll have to work with that until he tells me more.

Thanks, Marian Perera and yoghurtelf!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I forgot to mention... the guy on the book cover in my avatar, notice the three-pointed black shape beside his eye? That's one of the distinguishing features in my worldbuilding (and it's echoed in the A of Marked in the title).

Of course, it's different when you're not writing speculative fiction. But right now I have a completely human hero who looks very hot, and wears reading glasses. I'll bet that detail will stand out. :)

MerriTudor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
But right now I have a completely human hero who looks very hot, and wears reading glasses. I'll bet that detail will stand out.

I love this!

I have a Victorian gentleman in one of my back burners who wears reading glasses. However...he's somewhat older than the heroine, so that it's possible it will be seen as a disabling result of "old age" (40) so will probably go over like lead balloon.

Ohhh, now I see that little black shape near his eye! Pretty cool. ;)

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I had to google Damian Lewis. The dude from Homeland! Yeah, he's def eye candy. But its not the shade of his hair or eyes, its how the man carries himself (or as his characters do, etc etc). At least for me.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I had to google Damian Lewis. The dude from Homeland! Yeah, he's def eye candy. But its not the shade of his hair or eyes, its how the man carries himself (or as his characters do, etc etc). At least for me.

Oh, absolutely. He is smokin' because of his personality! I just happen to like how he looks too though. ;) If you haven't seen Life, I recommend it. He's quite a quirky character who tries to be Zen given all he's gone through, but later on you see how he REALLY feels. Plus, I love the relationship that develops between him and the character Dani, a friendship but with serious tension.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be pretty minimal in the descriptions of my characters because I also tend to ignore the descriptions in books I read and build up my own image from the way they act. That said, I might add that I could live very happily without ever again encountering a feisty redhead with green eyes.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But right now I have a completely human hero who looks very hot, and wears reading glasses. I'll bet that detail will stand out. :)
There's one series, (not romance) where that's the hero's one distinguishing mark: He wears bifocals. I don't remember a thing about his appearance ('average') but every narrator in the stories remarks on the bifocals.
(Dorothy Dunnett's 'Dolly' stories - 'Dolly being either his yacht, or the various young women who narrate the stories.)
Why don't we have more light brown/mousy blonde characters?

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I love this!

I have a Victorian gentleman in one of my back burners who wears reading glasses. However...he's somewhat older than the heroine, so that it's possible it will be seen as a disabling result of "old age" (40) so will probably go over like lead balloon.

Ohhh, now I see that little black shape near his eye! Pretty cool. ;)

I've got a MMC of the same era and age who is going bald (top of the head bald spot with the front thinning). He works the hats and facial hair pretty well though. What he doesn't have is chubby gut that was considered a sign of wealth and status back then. I did give him green eyes - though they're probably more hazel. It's plot-important that his daughter with my PoC heroine inherited those eyes.

Last edited: