What Antivirus Software Do You Use (AKA Kaspersky OK?)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Several computers ago I started using Kaspersky as my antivirus. It seemed to have much less of an impact on how the computer runs compared to Norton. But there seems to be an issue with Kaspersky and the government. So I wonder about the company's trustworthiness.

Does anyone know anything about any of this?

And while we're on the topic: If I don't use Kaspersky, what is a good alternative?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

M.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
No one has proven anything negative about Kaspersky, nor about any actual ties to Russian government agencies of any kind.

They are indeed Russian. That much is true. Otherwise, nothing even close to proven.

Let’s repeat that: the U.S. government has yet to disclose why it is concerned there may be hidden backdoors in Kaspersky Lab products, that Russian intelligence agencies may be able to use Kaspersky Lab’s antivirus software to collect valuable information on users around the world, or that company’s executives may be vulnerable to Russian government influence.

My experience with Kaspersky was positive. But that was 8 years ago now. When Comcast started including Norton with their Internet service, we switched.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
...When Comcast started including Norton with their Internet service, we switched.

You mean they are seriously providing Norton? At no extra charge? It comes with the monthly fee? If I'm still here when my Kaspersky subscription expires, and I probably will be (given how long it is taking to sell the house and how much $$ I'm having to put into it to sell it), I'll switch too!

Verizon made you buy whatever it was they were recommending, so it made no sense to buy one thing over another thing.

M.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you which one I don't like using - Avira. I've been trying it out and it slows the boot time SO MUCH.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You mean they are seriously providing Norton? At no extra charge? It comes with the monthly fee? If I'm still here when my Kaspersky subscription expires, and I probably will be (given how long it is taking to sell the house and how much $$ I'm having to put into it to sell it), I'll switch too!

Verizon made you buy whatever it was they were recommending, so it made no sense to buy one thing over another thing.

M.

It might depend on which Internet plan you choose. But yes, it's included with ours. NOTE: It's part of this intrusive and obtrusive security "suite." But I was able to just choose the Norton antivirus.

Comcast said:
Norton™ Security Suite is available at no extra cost to XFINITY® Internet customers. Only high-speed XFINITY® Internet provides top-rated Norton™ Security Suite—a $160 value—at no additional charge and with no annual renewal fees.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell you which one I don't like using - Avira. I've been trying it out and it slows the boot time SO MUCH.

Thank you! I won't get that one for sure.

Lol. I've been using Avira for years with never an issue. It catches stuff some of the others (especially free versions) don't. I guess our mileages do vary.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.top10bestantivirus.com/best-windows-antivirus

Kaspersky barely makes above the free Microsoft Essentials (aka "Microsoft Defender") and the Avast and BitDefender, which retailers often add to their bloatware.

If you are exploring the dark corners of the web, then check out TotalAV. If you are like most people who stick to known places, Microsoft Defender (with the free Malwarebytes) does the job.

-cb

Byeka

Registered
Reaction score
I usually go with Microsoft Security Essentials, free edition. Given it's directly from Microsoft, you know you're dealing with something that is likely quite safe. I think AVG was good once upon a time, but it's too bloated now.

Also, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy are two excellent programs that can give added value to keeping your computer secure. Spybot is free. I think you have to pay for Malwarebytes but don't remember 100%.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Several computers ago I started using Kaspersky as my antivirus. It seemed to have much less of an impact on how the computer runs compared to Norton. But there seems to be an issue with Kaspersky and the government. So I wonder about the company's trustworthiness.

Does anyone know anything about any of this?

And while we're on the topic: If I don't use Kaspersky, what is a good alternative?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

M.

Which anti-virus program to use can be like choosing which brand of Campbell's Soup do you want? There's a lot of choices out there and something else to consider do you want a paid antivirus program or a free one?

Personally, I've been using free suites and my personal preference is Avast or Panda. As the de facto I.T. guy for my family, one thing that drives me nuts is knowing even before I sit down in front of their misbehaving pc, as sure as you can't eat Cheetos without getting orange stuff under your fingernails, more likely than not none of the programs have been updated and none of the antivirus and malware scans have been done since the last time I worked on the computer.

The first question to ask is why do I need antivirus protection? If you don't answer, "for the same reason I need air" you're probably not getting the hang of this protect yourself on the Net thing.

PC Mag explains in their 2017 ratings of free antivirus programs:

We all make choices in life, some good, some bad, and some really bad. Choosing to go without antivirus protection because you can't afford it falls in that last category. A quality antivirus utility fends off all kinds of malicious software, from annoying adware to disastrous ransomware, and the best free products are extremely effective, beaten only by the best commercial products. We've analyzed and evaluated 16 free antivirus utilities to help you choose the one that best fits your needs.

Quite a few of these products are free only for noncommercial use; if you want to protect your business, you have to pony up for the paid edition. At that point, you should probably consider upgrading to a full security suite. After all, it's your business's security on the line.

Your antivirus should definitely have the ability to root out existing malware, but its ongoing task is to prevent ransomware, botnets, Trojans, and other types of nasty programs from getting a foothold. All of the antivirus programs in this collection offer real-time malware protection. Some take the fight upstream, working hard to ensure you never even browse to a malware-hosting site, or get fooled into turning over your credentials to a phishing site.

One easy way to keep your PC protected is to install all security updates, both for Windows and for browsers and other popular applications. Windows 10 makes it easier than ever to stay up to date, but there are plenty of security holes in older Windows versions, in popular apps, and in add-ons. Scanning for vulnerabilities in the form of missing updates is a feature most often found in commercial antivirus products, but it does turn up in some free ones. In the chart above you can see which products include these useful features.

This article reports only on free antivirus products that received at least a good rating in our reviews—three stars or better. Among those that didn't make the cut is Microsoft Windows Defender Security Center, with 2.5 stars. All of the independent labs I follow do include Microsoft in testing, but most use it as a baseline. If a product can't do better than the baseline, it's got real problems.

I guess it depends on what your taste in soups are. I like Avast on my desktop and Panda on my laptop. I also run Malware Bytes and CCleaner. I also recommend Unchecky which does a wonderful job of blocking "drive-by downloads" or software in Skype or Adobe updates that install an application or browser you might not want or change your homepage. If you have multiple sites where you have to enter a password and you don't have a password manager, you're probably using (and reusing) the same password on multiple sites. Easy to remember, but more dangerous if your computer is breached and some hacker gets access to all your online accounts. Try Last Pass or LogMe Once to manage, generate and audit all those passwords you've scribbled on sticky notes.

The best places I've found to install and/or update several apps at once is Ninite. My late brother turned me on to the site and whenever I'm setting up or updating a pc, I go to Ninite for my one-stop shopping.

First and foremost is to find an antivirus suite you like and works how you want it to. Free or paid for, you've got a lot of choices and no excuses not to install one. :hi:

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
One really valuable thing here is the reminders of stuff, like Malwarebytes, that I know about but forget to use. Sheesh...

Thanks, everyone.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One really valuable thing here is the reminders of stuff, like Malwarebytes, that I know about but forget to use. Sheesh...

Thanks, everyone.

A suggestion: It's easy to set up a calendar reminder on your computer or phone or other device to pop-up and say, "It's Wednesday! Run your scans and check your updates."

Or if you're lazy train your spouse, significant other, or eager child to do it. Hell, train your dog or cat. They don't have opposable thumbs, but they'll figure it out. :e2cat:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
The lowest impact antivirus I know of and have used is BitDefender; I use it on my laptop which is older and slower. On my desktop I've been using Avast for a while though I run it in Silent Mode to keep it from nagging me when it doesn't need to.

If I'm setting up computers for other people that I'm not sticking around to maintain and they don't express a preference, I will generally go with Microsoft Security Essentials as it requires the least user interaction to keep up to date if you're running auto-updates.

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting news from CSO Online.

The AV_TEST Institute recently tested the most popular Windows 10 client antivirus products on three primary criteria: protection, performance, and usability. Products that ranked highest in all three areas were Kaspersky Lab Endpoint Security 10.3 and Small Office Security 5, Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.0 and Endpoint Protection Cloud 22.9, and Trend Micro Office Scan 12.

Of course, that's business-oriented. Not consumer products. Still, Kaspersky has always done well in tests like this.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
...from an NSA contractor's home computer

The unnamed contractor removed the material from the NSA and stored it on a home computer that ran a version of Kaspersky AV. The material, according to the unnamed sources, included "details about how the NSA penetrates foreign computer networks, the computer code it uses for such spying, and how it defends networks inside the US."

My bold.

Did...did he put malware on his computer and then expect an anti-virus program to ignore it?

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
I have found Avast to be very good. I use it on PC and Android. I use Malwarebytes as well on my computer.

I've worked with a lot of computers in my time. Lots of issues with Kapersky on one client's computer in particular. It was interfering with all sorts of stuff it had no business interfering with. Haven't had any problems with Avast. Simple to install, free. Occasionally they try to upsell. Upsell is worse on the Android than on the PC.

Obi-Wan Nobody

Perpetual padawan
Registered
Reaction score
BitDefender Antivirus Plus, for years. No issues so far. One licence, three computers covered.
It offers ransomware protection, which is good because I had issues on a non-protected laptop, a couple of years ago. Painful experience.