Do I Need a Telephone in Addition to a Mobile Phone?

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I just moved to an apartment and had to switch from Verizon to Xfinity. I used to have a land line, and I decided to just keep my cell phone, at least for awhile.

I learned that there are cordless phones that you can connect your mobile phone to using some technology like Link to Cell. I'm guessing it's bluetooth enabled or something like that.

Is there any reason why I would want to or should get a cordless phone system like that? I think I could get one for $40 or $50. Sometimes that seems like a lot, sometimes not so much.

The one possible advantage I can see is that if I had the phone plugged into the wall, I might be able to connect with the door security system and buzz people in rather than having to go downstairs and let them in. I'm just not 100% sure this would work with the number being a mobile number instead of a land line number.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

M.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I don't live in an apartment, so I don't know about the security system, but our family has not had a land line in about two years.

At the point where everyone in the household had a mobile phone, it just no longer made sense to have a land line anymore. Anyone we actually cared to talk to called our cell phones already.

In that time, we have never really missed having a phone in the house. We have good cell coverage, and no technology in our home that is dependent on a physical phone line.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. People call my cell phone when they arrive, and I go open the door. Climbing the stairs is good exercise. ;)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. People call my cell phone when they arrive, and I go open the door. Climbing the stairs is good exercise. ;)
You can always try it that way, and if it gets to be too much of a hassle, you can add the land line later. You're not cutting off any future options.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Using your land line to buzz people in is a new one on me--how does that work. Generally you can just push a button and it's hard wired in, no phone service required.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
You need a land line to buzz people in? I have a land line, but many people I know (in various different buildings) do not and have the buzzer connected to their cell phone instead, no problem.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
More and more people live without land lines and do just fine.

My husband and I still have a land line, and the reasons are:

--It's a "family" phone number people can reach or leave messages that aren't just for one of us (even so, I rarely talk to some of our old friends anymore, as they mostly call my husband on his cell phone).
--Also, the land line is useful if I switch my phone or ringer off (can't have it on when I'm teaching) and forget to turn it back on and don't notice messages accumulating. Even if my cell phone flashed when I had a message, I wouldn't see it when it's in my purse.
--The land line still has better reception and fewer dropped calls when talking to someone on the phone for longer conversations, and handset battery life is longer.
--The land line number is the one I give out when purchasing services or products that require a phone # and are likely to bug me later or sell my number.
--The land line has an answering machine, so it makes call screening easy without having to find/pickup a ringing phone to look at it. I never give my cell phone number to anyone I don't want to get a call from (though I'm starting to get telemarketing calls on my cell phone anyway)
--It's a back up when cell phone batteries run out or reception is cruddy (this is still an issue in hilly neighborhoods or people living in more remote areas)
--The land line is bundled as part of our internet and TV service anyway
--It's a phone number we've had for over 15 years now, and pretty much everyone knows it.

However, you have to pay for a long distance service with a land line, and they often charge by the call still (where cell phones tend to have a flat fee). And it can cause confusion if you give someone a land line number to contact you and they assume it's a cell number and try to text you or think they can reach you whenever and wherever (something I resist furiously, as I don't want to be reached by most people whenever and wherever). And some people can't keep straight which number is a land line and which is a cell, even when you tell them, so they'll try to call your land line when they have to reach you in an emergency and they should know you aren't home (duh).

Any of these reasons may or may not apply to other people. I've never quite gotten into the habit of frequently checking my cell phone, so I can walk around with a dead phone for quite some time and also go a long time not knowing someone called or texted.

Don't know about the buzzing people in thing, but it's hard to believe a modern system wouldn't use with cell phones or the internet.

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
...Don't know about the buzzing people in thing, but it's hard to believe a modern system wouldn't use with cell phones or the internet.

I really like this place--on the outside it looks like a village, and the apartment is nice even though the "living room" is on the small side. But I can't resist saying that this place is so modern that it doesn't have an elevator...

I honestly don't know how they got away without putting in elevators. They have handicapped parking. I supposed they reserve the first floor for people with mobility issues.

This is all proving interesting. What's bugging me is that my budget is tight but I want this little piece of technology....

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a land line in... lemme think back.

Dang, 17 years.

Not once in that period have I wished I had one or felt like I was missing anything. Save yourself the bill.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you connect with the door security you will get buzzed when it's not your visitor.

I've had a mobile phone and just a mobile phone since 2007.

Havne't regretted it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
--The land line is bundled as part of our internet and TV service anyway.

This is the only reason we still have a landline. We need to pay 'line rental' for our internet package, so the only extra cost is the landline wireless handsets (and that's nominal over their lifespan).

Also, small town Scotland means we get really poor mobile phone signal inside the house. Had high hopes for 'calls and texts over wifi' technology but so far it's a bit rubbish. If I was relying on the mobile I'd miss half my calls.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After going 13 day without power some time back, I'm keeping my land line, which is now bundled with internet and cable TV and is more or less free that way, since the non-bundle prices for the other two services dropped just about the amount of the land line's cost.

What happened in that long power outage was that at first, as people's cell phones lost charges, they would drive around and charge them while running errands for themselves and shut-in neighbors. This was great, right up until they needed gas. Most stations rely on electricity to operate the pumps. Suddenly nobody had a working cell unless they had a buddy or a workplace with power who didn't mind them being there to charge their device every single day.

The whole time, our landline worked.

We have discussed whether we'd get a land line phone if we were to move, but as others have said, it's not like you have to decide first thing. You can try it for several months without and see how it goes.

Small but amusing notations: Both my daughters, in two states, live in rentals that have a landline and a phone that came with the place. Neither one leaves it plugged in. No need. It's there if the power goes out, and they can't conceive of any other use for it.

Maryn, who no longer picks up the landline unless it's got that "special ring" she assigned to friends and family

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I also have an old fashioned phone, the kind that runs just off the power that comes in via a phone jack, handy in case of a power outage or issue that interferes with cell phone reception.

Just as a general aside, it is possible to transfer a land line number to a cell phone.

True, but both my husband and I also have cell phone numbers we don't want to change, and if I did, it would mean that all those companies that have my land line number would now be bugging me on my cell phone.

And I'd have to change contact information on everything from the pets' microchip companies to my credit cards.

My husband is for giving up the land line, because he's not as attached to the idea of having a "family" number that is for both of us (I only ever get to chat with his parents and some of our mutual friends who are more inclined to call his number because they sometimes call on the land line when he's not around). Also, he says he just gives a fake number (our area code plus 123-4567) when he's required to give a phone number when he fills out a form or purchases something online. When I point out that this could be an issue if they ever do need to get in touch with him about an order, he shrugs and says, "Oh well."

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One other benefit of a landline is this, at least where we are:

If you call emergency services from a landline, they instantly know your location. It might save a few seconds.

We still have our landline, but when it rings, I know it's either telemarketers or my mother-in-law -- who, in fact, is delightful.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it just buzz when someone types in my apartment number or whatever?

People will punch in any number because:

They're drunk
They're stupid
They're annoying

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a land line in... lemme think back.

Dang, 17 years.

Not once in that period have I wished I had one or felt like I was missing anything. Save yourself the bill.

I don't have one because line congestion is so bad that unless you go digital (voice over IP, cable, fiber, etc.) in urban areas it's really hard to get a number/line.

I was flat out told by the phone company when I lived in L.A. and moved that there were no lines or numbers available; it could take up to six weeks for one.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They had no phone numbers left? Wow. Isn't that a sign of the End Times?

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I discovered a reason today to have a land line, although I'm not sure it will really play in Peoria.

I lost my cell phone. I was out walking the dog, listened to a voice mail, stuck the iPhone SE in the pocket of my track-style jacket--admittedly shallow--and cleaned up after the dog. Then I proceeded to fight with Abbie about going to the trash to dispose of the pooh. She wanted to make a hasty retreat back to the apartment because some stray noise or person frightened her. So, after duking it out with our training, we got back into the apartment, and then I noticed the cell phone was gone.

I went back out and retraced my path, but I didn't see my phone.

After the frantic feelings of disconnection and an expensive loss subsided, I sent an email to a friend to report the phone as lost. Then I drove a few minutes up the road to the very local Verizon store. They were able to locate my phone, first in what looked like someone else's apartment, then the woods (Den Rock Park) adjacent to the complex. There was no way I was going into the woods after that phone.

Fortunately, I had never figured out what to do with my old Samsung. The Verizon store reactivated it for $10. Now, it's charging, and I should be back in business.

A couple hours lost. And of course I did not insure the iPhone. Not making that mistake again. So also $xxx lost. Sigh.

I hate having this run of bad luck. It makes me feel like a querulous and gregarious older woman I used to know. And she was an editor and writer to boot! I'm going to add this to my Lessons from Job file.

So, even though a land line would have saved me some time and driving back and forth, I was able to successfully resolve the issue without one.

M.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It might equally be a reason to have a cell phone in case your landline dies. Or just a reason to have two phones. IMHO, maybe not enough of the reason to justify the expense.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether it's enough to justify the expense. On the other hand, someone above mentioned the whole bundle issue. If you get phone/cable/internet it ends up covering the cost of the phone.

I'm so grateful that I had my old Samsung S4. I never figured out what to do with it when I got an iPhone (because of a banking issue). It has really come in handy at the moment. Whew!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The one possible advantage I can see is that if I had the phone plugged into the wall, I might be able to connect with the door security system and buzz people in rather than having to go downstairs and let them in. I'm just not 100% sure this would work with the number being a mobile number instead of a land line number.
Don't pay for a landline. I bet the door bell and door opening functions are still working with a landline phone plugged in. You just can't receive or make calls with it because there won't be a ringtone.

-cb