Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he's just throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Also Gorka resigned—wait, should I start a new thread for that? Kind of feels like we have to start too many threads if we always do a new one for each scandal.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also Gorka resigned—wait, should I start a new thread for that? Kind of feels like we have to start too many threads if we always do a new one for each scandal.

I was just going to post that.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so overwhelmed. And angry. All the time angry. For months after the election I knew what to do and I felt like it meant something to march and make phone calls and take petitions and make speeches. The last couple of months, it feels hopeless. It's still worthwhile to march and make calls and so on, but everything is getting worse and worse and I hate feeling so ... impotent.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Gorka news might have been delayed due to all the other news going on.

Isn't that an old politics trick, dumping all the news you don't want people to pay attention to on Friday because there's only so much space to write about things and nobody reads the newspaper on Saturday? Not sure it applies to today's world where we get news instantly on our phones and discuss it to death on twitter..

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I saw speculation on Twitter that the Gorka resignation and Arpaio pardon were intentionally paired to soothe Trump's base - which would be upset about Gorka but happy about Arpaio.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw speculation on Twitter that the Gorka resignation and Arpaio pardon were intentionally paired to soothe Trump's base - which would be upset about Gorka but happy about Arpaio.

The CNN article hints that John Kelly was getting rid of dead weight:

A person familiar with the situation said Kelly was coming up empty when it came to Gorka's role, though he recognized his efforts to promote Trump's message on television.

Meanwhile the lengthier article in Politico quotes Gorka's resignation letter as saying the devoted MAGA adherents had been run out, but that the main reason was Gorka's disapproval of the Afghanistan speech and approach:

The latest high-profile resignation from the populist faction of Trump’s ideologically divided West Wing resulted from a major policy disagreement about Afghanistan. Gorka, a White House official said, disagreed with Trump’s decision to dispatch more American troops to Afghanistan, a tortured decision the president outlined in his first national security address, on Tuesday night.

These of course are not mutually exclusive, as Kelly's purge of the original old guard (many of whom, and Trump himself admits, originally wanted a complete pull out) would make those remaining feel isolated.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm so overwhelmed. And angry. All the time angry. For months after the election I knew what to do and I felt like it meant something to march and make phone calls and take petitions and make speeches. The last couple of months, it feels hopeless. It's still worthwhile to march and make calls and so on, but everything is getting worse and worse and I hate feeling so ... impotent.

I'm there, too.

And if one more smiling person tells me not to worry 'cause it'll all be better soon, I might just resort to physical violence. Seriously, the "it could be worse" argument loses a lot of bite when it keeps getting tangibly worse...

As for this pardon, a spit in the eye of the people who rose up to oust that sheriff to begin with, it's even clearer than ever that *45 never intended to be president of the entire country, just god-king to the dank corners where he's properly worshiped, this being one of his blessings upon "his" America. The rest of us are quite literally nonexistent - and our outrage only further justifies his actions in his mind, and the minds of his devotees.

And, once again, nothing will happen. Democrats will shout, some Republicans will shake their heads and frown sternly in his direction, but nothing will actually happen to stop the slide, 'cause this is still the TeaOP's creation, they still control the government, and there's still a Tea Party agenda to fulfill and special interest backs to be scratched, long term damage to the nation be danged.

Yes, I am hacked off. And scared. And trying not to lose all hope - but failing.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'd say Trump would want people to know about Arpaio. That's red meat for his base. He basically announced it in Phoenix.

Gorka not so much, of course. Next week it'all be "I don't think I know the man."

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. It was only yesterday that I heard Trump couldn't pardon Arpaio, due to his sentence being below a certain limit.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I think it's more sinister than that (if possible) - there were a bunch of subpoenas that came down from Mueller's camp shortly beforehand - so while it looks like what Trump is doing is throwing a bone to the base (and he sure as hell is), he's also signalling the people who can burn him with Mueller that they should not cut deals or cooperate in any way because he's got their backs.

Repulsive on every level.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

This is me, too. It's been horrible since Nov 9, but the Arpaio pardon takes this presidency into a whole new realm, where the rule of law simply doesn't apply anymore. We are, at this moment, no better than any tinpot dictatorship that ever existed, and the GOP has no interest in doing one damn thing about it. Without action by congress, I don't see any direction but down from here. :(

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I just read a tweet thread with Phoenix New Times articles (they've following him for over two decades) about Arpaio. I had forgotten some of the terrible things he's done and was still disgusted by the pardon. If you're already overwhelmed (I'm there a lot of the time), you may not want to read it, but I'm glad I did just to counter the attempts to normalize this as just another presidential pardon.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Lyv, I was coming here to share another recap of what Arpaio did. This man deserves comparison to other other infamous torturers, not a pardon.
New Yorker.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
We are, at this moment, no better than any tinpot dictatorship that ever existed, and the GOP has no interest in doing one damn thing about it. Without action by congress, I don't see any direction but down from here. :(

Why would the TeaOP do anything about it? This is their baby. They hatched it. They nursed it. They unleashed it upon the country. They knew what it was from the start - and it serves them and their agenda to see it rampage and destroy the very thing they were elected to defend.

I saw an opinion piece on BillMoyers.com (link) comparing this moment to the start of fascism in other countries, the blatant and utter disregard for the law. I've said before that the TeaOP has had the smug countenance of people who know they've won the game already the moment they took November... I've yet to see significant signs they haven't. Where do we go from here, when the majority party (at best) hesitates to act and (at worse) actively supports actions like this? What do we do, when they know they don't have to obey the rules and can indulge their worst greed and darkest tendencies? What's left for us, when we no longer matter?

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Why would the TeaOP do anything about it? This is their baby. They hatched it. They nursed it. They unleashed it upon the country. They knew what it was from the start - and it serves them and their agenda to see it rampage and destroy the very thing they were elected to defend.

I saw an opinion piece on BillMoyers.com (link) comparing this moment to the start of fascism in other countries, the blatant and utter disregard for the law. I've said before that the TeaOP has had the smug countenance of people who know they've won the game already the moment they took November... I've yet to see significant signs they haven't. Where do we go from here, when the majority party (at best) hesitates to act and (at worse) actively supports actions like this? What do we do, when they know they don't have to obey the rules and can indulge their worst greed and darkest tendencies? What's left for us, when we no longer matter?

This is exactly why they are slamming Antifa and comparing them to terrorists, and especially anarchists. Remember that the peak of anarchists was the deep inequality of the Gilded Age (Haymarket) through the 1920s (Sacco & Vanzetti).

At a certain point, if they don't have to obey the rules and ordinary people get crushed no matter what they do - some people will hit back.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com

What do we do? We know what to do, it's just a matter of enough people recognizing it.

• We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are … endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights…. That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men…. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. … Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. - Declaration of Independence (1776).

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What do we do? We know what to do, it's just a matter of enough people recognizing it.

True, though revolutions have a way of not always going as the revolters would hope... I'm worried which side the military is already on, for one thing. (I'm also not entirely sure our "leader" would hesitate to attack his own country to silence protests and ensure total control. And this is a man who considers nukes a viable option. Give him a week, and his base would agree that the targets weren't really human, and they'd never been part of traditional America anyway... though McCain would probably offer a sternly-worded tweet of rebuke.)