Harvey

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/us/hurricane-harvey/index.html

It looks ugly. It looks bad ass. It is gonna linger for days as it does the bulk of its damage.

The combination of heavy rain, "life-threatening" storm surges, flooding and strong winds could leave wide swaths of South Texas "uninhabitable for weeks or months," the National Weather Service in Houston said. Such daunting language hasn't been seen by CNN's experts since Hurricane Katrina, which left more than 1,800 people dead in 2005.

How you can help (from redcross.org):

The Red Cross works 24/7 to be ready to respond to disasters such as hurricanes. Even before the first raindrop falls in Texas and Louisiana, the Red Cross is spending money to get ready. Please donate to the Red Cross to help. Visit redcross.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Your gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters big and small.

-cb

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers (if wanted) are with everyone in Texas. May the storm be less powerful than predicted, and move fast to avoid as much flooding as possible.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
For anyone looking truly current info, try Twitter. You can do keyword or hashtag searches and find what's happening right this minute. You don't even have to have a Twitter account.

pbates

Witchy Woman
Registered
Reaction score
Reddit, specifically the Houston subreddit, is where I've been hanging out. Plenty of good info from locals and a live feed with weather updates. I think the storm has the potential to bring a lot of rain here, flooding and possibly power outages. I'm prepared with my candles, flashlights, water, and pbj sandwiches! I love the rain though...just hoping everyone stays safe and uses good judgment!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm worried. Two brothers and their families live in suburbs just north of Houston, but they haven't shared their bug out plans, yet. And they haven't committed to coming here, either. I live just under 200 miles north of Houston and we're not expecting more than 3 inches or so of rain through Thursday. So we're good, I think. So far.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely looks nersty. Stay dry and stay safe, everybody.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I heard that they're very concerned that this storm will move slowly. I earnestly hope it proves them wrong and blows through much more quickly.

Stay safe, everyone.

Last edited:

pbates

Witchy Woman
Registered
Reaction score
Yes...if it parks itself like Allison did we might be in trouble :/

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hearing predicted localised rainfall maximums to be anywhere between 80 to 120 cm. That sounds pretty devastating.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to see it in real-time how nasty Harvey really is, take a look at real-time weather here:

https://earth.nullschool.net

Click on "earth" to change parameters. For example, changing Height from SFC to 500mb gets you to jetstream altitude. Tilt the globe up and you can see - in real-time - the northern jetstream.

ETA: as a side exercise, change the mode from Air to Chem and explore the West Coast's forest fires around Crescent City. Or set the mode from Chem to Ocean and Animate from Waves to Current. Look around Florida - it's the Gulf Stream!

Fun.

And scary at the same time.

-cb

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
It's kicked up to a category 4.

I'm in New Orleans, primed for some sloppy seconds with pumps that may or may not be able to handle the load, and just that much has me stressed out.

Hugs to everybody in Harvey's path.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take care, everyone. You know how we worry.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the animals -- shelters have been innundated and are asking for any help -- volunteers, donations of food, blankets, etc., or financial donations. Here are some news stories featuring local shelters

Austin Pets Alive got more than 200 animals in by Fri. afternoon, needs help urgently.

Animal Defense League of Texas (which seems to coordinate between shelters?) and San Antonio Pets Alive
are looking for donations and fostering volunteers in the area -- they say for Fri. and Saturday in the article, but, as with Katrina, the aftermath of a storm can be devastating to animals as well as people. When homes are destroyed, or flooded, animals are homeless too, and stray animals are in danger for obvious reasons. Many shelters for humans won't take animals, even after Katrina.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My San Antonio friends are hunkered down with necessary supplies, and a generator to keep the fridge going. They're expecting heavy rains, flooding, and power outages. Their kids in Houston are sheltering in place.

MM

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone not familiar with Houston, Texas: The only city in the U.S. which is more flood-prone is New Orleans, which has about 1/20 the population of Houston. Houston is very low and very flat, and water there does not drain very rapidly.

caw

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This picture is devastating.

I can't even bring myself to type the usual platitudes--they feel trite in the face of this level of damage--but my heart is with everyone affected. If Katrina taught us anything, it's that this is going to be a damn long recovery for too many people.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they will be ok, Filigree. I have friends who were fine yesterday, who I hope will stay fine today. It is hard to watch the news feeds and know your loved ones are in that area.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
To paraphrase a friend who lived in 'Nawlins a decade ago: It's gawn.

-cb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just spoke to a long time family friend and thankfully she is okay. She told me the river in La Grange is expected to crest at 49 feet.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading on Twitter that people are using various hashtags to share and get potentially lifesaving information as 911 is over capacity. They're asking those not affected or who have no practical information not to use those hashtags for like thoughts and prayers at this time.