Kindle format from Word

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I have a potential beta reader that's willing to look at my manuscript... but only if she can read it easily on her iphone.

The manuscript is in Word 2010 (.docx) and I created a pdf which she pulled up, but didn't look right. Everything was way too small.

My next attempt will be to ramp up the font size, reduce the margins, etc. so it won't be so small on her screen.

What she'd really like is to read it like a normal e-book through her Kindle app.

Any way to do this?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Calibre. It's free and simple to use. You can convert Word docs into mobi format for Kindle (or epub, or any other format). It's a great little tool.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Or, convert it to a .txt file with Word :e2bouncey

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the platform, kindle allows you to email a WORD doc to a kindle app. It will be automatically converted to mobi format, except no cover graphic.

Your friend needs to go into their amazon account's control panel, find the 'maintain my content and devices' page, and see if there's an email address associated with their app ([email protected], IIRC). Then they have to add your email address to their 'approved senders' (not sure of the actual term used). Then you'll be able to email the file. It takes about 5 minutes to convert.

And as to why only some versions of kindle app allow this (for instance, the PC version doesn't), I have no idea.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the platform, kindle allows you to email a WORD doc to a kindle app. It will be automatically converted to mobi format, except no cover graphic.

Your friend needs to go into their amazon account's control panel, find the 'maintain my content and devices' page, and see if there's an email address associated with their app ([email protected], IIRC). Then they have to add your email address to their 'approved senders' (not sure of the actual term used). Then you'll be able to email the file. It takes about 5 minutes to convert.

And as to why only some versions of kindle app allow this (for instance, the PC version doesn't), I have no idea.

Tried this, and it worked perfectly, thanks!

She set me up on her kindle account as an approved sender, I emailed the .docx file to her @kindle.com address, and it looks identical to any other e-book (minus some features).

The only change I made was to the first line indentation. The manuscript has a .5 inch indent, which goes halfway across the iphone screen. I decreased that to .2 inches for each first line, and it looks pretty sharp.

I think I'll do my next round of proofreading off of this. I hear it's good to change things up to help highlight problems.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You don't need to convert anything. I email my manuscripts to my Kindle all the time... For editing purposes or to allow my partner to read it (we share our Kindle account). I simply email my word document to my Kindle email address. It looks just like a published Kindle book on the screen. No conversion necessary.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I second Dennis and KTC's recommendation: I email all my beta reads, articles I want to save for reading later, and so forth to my Kindle. Nothing could be easier.

Gileam

Registered
Reaction score
The other option is to download the beta version of the kindle previewer for MS Word and it will set up your docx for kindle direct publishing.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
The other option is to download the beta version of the kindle previewer for MS Word and it will set up your docx for kindle direct publishing.

I may possibly be stating the same thing, but in the preview step of the publishing process you can download the MOBI format of the ebook prior to actual publication for review purposes (which you can read on the Kindle previewer.)

You can also send that MOBI via email to your beta reader, to be read on a device (or with the previewer.) Don't mess with PDF. That is a fixed format option that doesn't play well with e-readers.

Or, you can simply do what I do with my editor. Send the Word file, they zoom it to their liking, and they edit using track changes and comment boxes.