Thinking about buying your way onto the NYT list?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
That was a crazy story to follow. Kind of frightening that it got off the ground, but also reassuring that it was intercepted and shut down.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crowd sourcing detective work. :Thumbs:

It's especially interesting in that it didn't really cost anything, or at least not much. The rating was based on unfilled orders that could be cancelled before the books shipped and there were no books to ship.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Crowd sourcing detective work. :Thumbs:

It's especially interesting in that it didn't really cost anything, or at least not much. The rating was based on unfilled orders that could be cancelled before the books shipped and there were no books to ship.
It didn't cost much, unless you don't count dignity and reputation as much. If she were to have a second book, and it was good, who would believe it? For that matter who's going to have much faith in 'the publishing arm of Geek Nation'? They may not be scamming authors, but readers got feelings, too. Being played is not a happy feeling.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Feelings, yes. More importantly, we have wallets and I know for a fact mine snaps shut faster than it opens.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It didn't cost much, unless you don't count dignity and reputation as much. If she were to have a second book, and it was good, who would believe it? For that matter who's going to have much faith in 'the publishing arm of Geek Nation'? They may not be scamming authors, but readers got feelings, too. Being played is not a happy feeling.

All that's a given, I was just talking about the "buying" part. This has clearly backfired for these cheaters.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I just fell down a twitter hole trying to follow this story. I should have known that there'd by a thread here already with a link to the most comprehensive run-down of what happened.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt anyone's gonna pay for it now, but I'd kinda love to hear a review of her book. Also, they should make a movie out of this story and she can play herself. Everybody wins!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt anyone's gonna pay for it now, but I'd kinda love to hear a review of her book.

Someone on twitter (can't find it now and unwilling to fall back in the rabbit hole) posted screenshots of the first few pages--I assume what's on Amazon's preview. I don't know how legal that is, but the writing certainly speaks for itself.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
So crazy... but totally believable.

Reading how easy it was to actually just call up bookstores and ask "So, do you report to the NYT for sales?" I'm actually astounded someone didn't try to game the system much earlier.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheeses. At least when L. Ron Hubbard's acolytes pulled the same stunt to get the Battlefield Earth series on the charts, the books were already on shelves.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Reading how easy it was to actually just call up bookstores and ask "So, do you report to the NYT for sales?" I'm actually astounded someone didn't try to game the system much earlier.

I strongly suspect it's been done already, but in a more subtle (and therefore more time-expensive) way.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I did the same! (Falling down the rabbit hole of Twitter, I mean.) The scary thing is the cover looks professional enough that without knowing the story behind it and seeing only the NYT bestseller list, I may have very well bought it out of curiosity.

Of course, now I'm going to go buy and read the real #1. :)

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice way for the author to kill her career (at least under that writing name.)

If the book's been pulled, seems like it's no loss to the world.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
some people are apparently stupid desperate, right?
i have a feeling Lifetime will make this into a movie....

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I did the same! (Falling down the rabbit hole of Twitter, I mean.) The scary thing is the cover looks professional enough that without knowing the story behind it and seeing only the NYT bestseller list, I may have very well bought it out of curiosity.

It should be noted that the cover also has pretty shady ethical implications. Essentially the design was stolen from another artist.