Lenovo adapter

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my Lenovo adapter is making a sizzling type noise when it's plugged in, but not when I take the plug out. Can I use my laptop safely w/o having it plugged in? Thanks for the help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my Lenovo adapter is making a sizzling type noise when it's plugged in, but not when I take the plug out. Can I use my laptop safely w/o having it plugged in? Thanks for the help.

No Susie. You can't. It's not safe and it could kill your laptop.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You can check with Lenovo if the adapter is under a recall here (Canada): https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht002608

You could get a free replacement if it's in the list. Otherwise there are plenty of universal laptop chargers on the market. Make sure you buy one with the right power output. When in doubt, buy the 90W and better models, not the 65W ones which will either break the laptop or make the recharging cycle take eons. You can find universal power chargers at any store with an electronics department: Staples, WalMart, BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. Make sure you buy from a reputable company (ex: Targus) and not from chineese-o-cheap-o.

-cb

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You need to take the laptop and the adapter to a technician; it may be the port on the laptop that is the issue and not the adapter.

It is probably the adapter, but it might not be.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
thx much, guys. Right now it's okay w. the plug in, so I'm hoping it was the place where I first plugged it in.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Ah, that could be it. Outlets can get punky. BTW, you should use a power strip with a surge protector wherever.

I thought of you today when I heard a horrible noise behind my induction cooktop after a fryjob. Heh-heh...it turned out to be a moth stuck behind somthing :ROFL:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Funny. That is how the term "computer bug" came to be - a moth causing a short in a lamp circuit.

-cb

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
If you purchase an after-market AC adapter, be sure the laptop end of the plug is wired the same as your original. Reversing the polarity of the plug could be dangerous to the laptop. A few years back Dell and HP had the same size laptop end, but the pin was reverse of the other. Quite a few user's plugged their Dell laptops into the HP adapters and after about an hour the laptop started to smoke as the system board was self-destructing.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
yikes, thx for letting me know, Tallus. I'm just unplugging it now and it doesn't sizzle anymore. Maybe it was just plugged in too long. Glad it's oky and thx all!

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
I ordered Lenovo and extra adapter. This is not good news. I had been using Sony for a long time and never heard adapter problem. I hope it was your plug and not Lenovo. Good luck!