Donald Trump Speech At Phoenix Rally

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I watched the whole speech. I didn't mean to; I only meant to watch a few minutes but I couldn't turn it off.

There were no real surprises – although I was a little surprised by the sheer length of his vitriolic attack on the media. But I had almost forgotten what he's like in full campaign mode.

There's little point in going through his speech issue by issue, except to note it was the same old melange of distortions, outright lies, and race baiting. But what still manages to astonish me is that anyone can watch this man speaking and not see the sickness of soul oozing out of him.

His base of course will absolutely love it - those who visit Alex Jones info wars every day and hang on Jones' every pronouncement. But maybe, just maybe, some of those who supported him because they honestly believed we needed change may be getting tired of his schtick. Surely some of them, though they might not want to admit it out loud, can see Trump for what he is and truly regret placing him in the White House.

Maybe.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Why is the President of the United States, seven months into his term, holding campaign rallies? Did Obama do this? Either of the Bushes? Bill Clinton? Ronald Reagan?

caw

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Why is the President of the United States, seven months into his term, holding campaign rallies? Did Obama do this? Either of the Bushes? Bill Clinton? Ronald Reagan?

caw

No, nor did any of them have a reelection campaign up and collecting $$ less than a week into their first terms, but hey, he's a groundbreaker. Also, remember from the campaign when there was talk about those 'thank you' rallies, to keep him from getting too bored, because he really likes cheering crowds and just talking his nonsense? This is that, except they couldn't keep calling them thank you rallies -- after they couldn't keep calling them campaign rallies.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, he broke records by filing paperwork for 2020 in January this year. From news reports, my understanding is that running a permanent campaign enables him to evade press and protestors by calling his appearances "private campaign events." It also lets him keep taking money from rich people who want government appointments; he pays the money to himself, his family, and his businesses for ongoing "campaign consulting."

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I have come to believe that Trump is in actuality mentally unstable. Not just in any hyperbolic sense – I think there is something seriously wrong with the man. And I think that quite a few of his fellow Republican lawmakers believe the same. I used to believe that impeachment or getting him out of office in some fashion was a pipe dream. I now think it's a very real possibility.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Followup to what rugcat just posted: the one thing we can all have confidence in is that Trump will, within a day or two, do or say something even more outrageous than the last debacle-causing moment. He has utterly destroyed the concept that he can become more "presidential", or whatever the euphemism for normal human behavior is. He just ain't got it in his DNA.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Sadly, I don't think impeachment is likely. The longer GOP leaders have enabled the president with silence and excuses, the more complicit they've become. They're too tied to him, now, to admit how he's corrupting our country.
I used to think that. But I think they are becoming worried a) that his presidency is going to severely damage the Republican Party in terms of their election chances, and b) at least some of them are beginning to realize that having a mentally unstable president is a truly dangerous situation.

I also think it's quite possible that Trump will resign. I don't think he's enjoying the job, one bit. I can see him resigning and blaming everyone in Washington for driving him out. His ego is such that he could see it as leaving on his own terms and screw everyone in Washington for not appreciating his greatness.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I also think it's quite possible that Trump will resign. I don't think he's enjoying the job, one bit. I can see him resigning and blaming everyone in Washington for driving him out. His ego is such that he could see it as leaving on his own terms and screw everyone in Washington for not appreciating his greatness.

Hmm... my personal read is that he's not a man to recognize his own flaws (such as his utter inability to be presidential, and it being the cause of much of his misery) or give up any power he's been given voluntarily (hence his tendency to treat his position as a dictatorship, not an elected position with a built-in term limit, let alone any obligations beyond feeding his bloated ego.) I only see him resigning - likely after much tantrum-throwing behind the scenes and fierce persuasion by his cronies - if the investigators get too close, possibly coupled with fleeing with bags of money ahead of the bloodhounds in a final middle finger to the country... which would leave us with Pence, who's a whole 'nother can of venomous wyrms.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
But maybe, just maybe, some of those who supported him because they honestly believed we needed change may be getting tired of his schtick.

I have a question. Why did these people wait until now to decide that "we needed change"? Why was it so important to elect an outsider? Why were they all of a sudden "tired of politicians"? Because the Obamas were so corrupt, with a new scandal emerging every day? Or because Trump had such a squeaky clean record, and stayed faithful to the same woman his whole life?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Donald Trump doesn't want the job of president. Donald Trump wants the title of president. He wants to go from crowd to crowd being cheered and adored. He believed he would as popular as president, as he believed himself to be as a celebrity.

He believed the main stream media would pander to him as the celebrity media did. It is incomprehensible in his mind that he is being criticized.

He has always been a mean, petty, vindictive, racist, misogynist, bald-faced liar. The celebrity media ignored these traits but the NY media did not. Now that he is on the world stage it is there for everyone to see, daily. As Michelle Obama said,
"Being president," she said, "doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are."

One part of his speech that is very disturbing. He wants to shut down the government to build his wall.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. Why did these people wait until now to decide that "we needed change"? Why was it so important to elect an outsider? Why were they all of a sudden "tired of politicians"? Because the Obamas were so corrupt, with a new scandal emerging every day? Or because Trump had such a squeaky clean record, and stayed faithful to the same woman his whole life?

This is just my opinion. That was little more than a cover for people to openly embrace a racist. A lot of people kept their racism quiet but when an "outsider" entered the race who just happened to spout the same beliefs they did. Well hell, it's party time. Especially since the country had been audacious enough to elect a black man twice.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, the Tea Party started well before there was a black man in the White House.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I knew what *45 was from early in the election, so while I am outraged, I have not been surprised by one thing he has done. Nor am surprised that the GOP continues to enable him, though if Pence were prez, they'd still get everything they're getting now without an unstable, pathologically dishonest, vindictive man who having the nuclear codes. I guess the benefit of keeping *45 in is that his batshit behavior draws attention from things like, to choose one example from many, nominating this guy for USDA Chief Scientist and killing regulations that imo make us safer. (I'm not saying ignore the distractions. They're never about things that can be ignored. But it's hard to keep up. It was just under two weeks ago that *45 thanked Putin for saving the US money by expelling 755 US diplomats).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, the Tea Party started well before there was a black man in the White House.

Absolutely, but there were a lot of people who are racists, and won't publicly admit it, and didn't have to, once the "outsider" who thought the same way they do was running.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
World came to a conclusion----- your president is insane. of course, 90% of the world had already concluded this before he walked into the white house.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think resignation is likely. Trump may not enjoy being President, he may find it stressful and unsatisfying, but he is unlikely to relinquish the enormous power that comes with the position. He does understand power and that will keep him holding on, no matter what challenges or criticisms he faces.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the whole speech. I didn't mean to; I only meant to watch a few minutes but I couldn't turn it off.
You see, I saved myself from getting caught in that trap. The second he came on tv, I muted the sound. Then I took my dog for a walk. I figured both she and I deserved a little exercise.

I have come to believe that Trump is in actuality mentally unstable. Not just in any hyperbolic sense – I think there is something seriously wrong with the man.
I have believed he is mentally unstable since before he was elected. That he continues to prove it and no one does anything about a mentally unstable president having access to the "football" does not reassure me.

which would leave us with Pence, who's a whole 'nother can of venomous wyrms.
I have never understood this argument. #45 is unhinged. He needs to be out of that position. Legally, of course. And, remember, we can't get rid of Pence before we get rid of #45.

Pence is backing everything #45 is saying. He is tainted by it.

One part of his speech that is very disturbing. He wants to shut down the government to build his wall.

This. What I would like to know is this--is it possible? I thought something like that is a financial matter and all the financial power is in the Congress. Am I wrong?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think resignation is likely. Trump may not enjoy being President, he may find it stressful and unsatisfying, but he is unlikely to relinquish the enormous power that comes with the position. He does understand power and that will keep him holding on, no matter what challenges or criticisms he faces.
Plus, he is making buckets of money from the gig, since the emoluments clause suddenly ceased to matter.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score

BAM! So much truth in this observation.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's more a faint hope on my part than a prediction.

But I'm talking about a small minority of trump voters – maybe 10% or so. Those who rightly or wrongly have become disenchanted with government and feel those in government are dedicated to only one thing -- preserving the status quo while simultaneously lining their own pockets. That's a sentiment not limited to the right; you'll find identical language on the left.

They went for Donald Trump because they felt despite his obvious flaws, he would shake things up and "stand up for the little guy." They are the ones who despise mainstream Republicans almost as much as they do democrats. They were under no illusions about Donald Trump's character, they just chose to accept it as relatively unimportant.

And I believe they are capable of seeing that they truly have been conned, and that Donald Trump is truly unhinged, while at the same time unable to do any of the things he promised and stocking Washington with exactly the kind of people they despise – billionaires running everything.

If this is true, come next election, should trump last that long, he will be absolutely crushed in the general election.

Unless, of course, we are in a national emergency, say in the middle of some war or nuclear confrontation.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I have never understood this argument. #45 is unhinged. He needs to be out of that position. Legally, of course. And, remember, we can't get rid of Pence before we get rid of #45.

Pence is backing everything #45 is saying. He is tainted by it.

Yes, he is tainted by it. I'd wager a huge chunk of the formerly-GOP (which I refer to as the TeaOP, as they seem to have largely abandoned traditional Republican stances and values over the years) was in on the game the moment they threw their support behind the "outsider." The reason I consider Pence a whole 'nother problem, a potentially more dangerous problem, is that I predict it'll be much harder to pry that nail loose, especially compared to *45. One man can't open his mouth without contradicting a prior statement or saying something insanely outrageous or offending large swaths of the country and world, or some combination thereof - a man used to being brash and brazen, with an atrophied personal filter. The other is a politician, who very much is aware of what he says (or doesn't say), how he says it, even how he appears to say it or not say it. He covers his tracks a lot better. He's capable of making and keeping many a bargain and backroom handshake deal, without backstabbing his nominal allies in a fit of pique the next day, so he's got many eyes watching his back. Ideologically, he's very much a creature of this regime, having rolled in the same muck, but it's the difference between the yapping dog and the quiet, staring dog. One's drawing all the attention, and is a lot easier to keep track of, and if/when it's finally taken away I suspect many people will be so relieved that the other dog isn't so yappy and outwardly annoying that they'll start falling back asleep.

MHO, of course...

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Donald Trump doesn't want the job of president. Donald Trump wants the title of president. He wants to go from crowd to crowd being cheered and adored. He believed he would as popular as president, as he believed himself to be as a celebrity.

Possibly the best explanation I've read.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I read an interesting article yesterday that that this administration (that is, Trump) is less interested in achievements than ratings. Trump, with his reality-tv background on top of his basic narcissism, sees getting headlines as an actual accomplishment. This has led to a great deal of sound and fury, but little in the way of legislative progress.

They gave the example of the military transgender ban. Since he announced it, Trump has apparently not made any official order to the military regarding it. He was content to announce it, listen to the shouting from various sides, and then move on to something else. He didn't have any impetus to *do* it.

This is why he's still having rallies. Rallies get him attention, without any of that pesky "work" that goes with it.