Hey everyone!

TheMandolorian

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Ethan, but use 'The Mandolorian' because of my affinity for Star Wars. I live on Cape Cod with my girlfriend and Golden Retriever, 'Puppy'. (I didn't choose the name.)

I found this site by watching Brandon Sanderson's BYU writing class on YouTube and realized I needed a writing group because as I'm sure you all know, this venture can be rather daunting.

I've self published one book so far, which I don't want to promote here, but would instead get advice on short stories and other projects. I look forward to spending hours here and reading a lot of everyone's work! Thank you!

Last edited:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Ethan. Thanks for the heads up on "Brandon Sanderson's Writing Classes" on YouTube. I started listening to one video, and, even though he's a science-fiction writer who writes in a different genre from me, I still found his advice helpful.

TheMandolorian

Registered
Reaction score
He does a great job. One tidbit that was huge for me was discovery writing the characters and outlining the plot.

Glad I could be of help!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
He does a great job. One tidbit that was huge for me was discovery writing the characters and outlining the plot.

That's the writing advice I'm looking forward to learning. He sounds like a good speaker: giving his audience information in an entertaining, relatable way that isn't boring or dull to listen to.

TheMandolorian

Registered
Reaction score
That's the writing advice I'm looking forward to learning. He sounds like a good speaker: giving his audience information in an entertaining, relatable way that isn't boring or dull to listen to.

I watch it as though I'm sitting in the class. No need to enroll in BYU and pay thousands to attend. It's actually rather incredible that it's so readily available.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I love Brandon Sander's lectures! They're addicting and informative!

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I'll have to check out Brandon's lectures. I listen to the podcast he does with other writers, Writing Excuses. If you're not already listening to that regularly, you may wish to check it out.

kevincnorris

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, cool! This looks like something that will help me too. Geez. I wish I had introduced myself with such a handy byproduct. Welcome and I look forward to taking a look at your stuff :)

EverlyE

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the video link. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite writers, I love Mistborn and Elantris. I too am new to the website and came here because I hope it will help me stay more on track with my writing. What genres have you written in/want to write?

TheMandolorian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the video link. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite writers, I love Mistborn and Elantris. I too am new to the website and came here because I hope it will help me stay more on track with my writing. What genres have you written in/want to write?

My first (and only) book so far is historical fiction but I have a contemporary draft and ideas for some sci-fi/ fantasy. So I'm all over the place...you?

EverlyE

Registered
Reaction score
I have a dystopian fantasy trilogy I've been working on for the past 2.9 years, but it's so complicated I decided I need to write something simpler for my first official book. So I'm now working on novella/barely novel-sized stories of lesser known fairytales that are light-hearted and comedic. I have an interest in historical fiction too, what's the market like?

TheMandolorian

Registered
Reaction score
I have a dystopian fantasy trilogy I've been working on for the past 2.9 years, but it's so complicated I decided I need to write something simpler for my first official book. So I'm now working on novella/barely novel-sized stories of lesser known fairytales that are light-hearted and comedic. I have an interest in historical fiction too, what's the market like?

To be honest, I lack any sort of skill in regards to marketing, selling or promoting my book. I've moved close to 400 copies since I launched in April, but many of those are free downloads from KDP select on Amazon. I just wrote the story that I had stuck in my head for years, and I'm proud of it. The goal with finishing the book was to be able to have it done and stop saying I was going to do it, as well as make it a learning experience.

Your projects sound fun! If you ever need a pair of eyes, send it over! If you'd like a free copy of my book, I'd be happy to send you one as well.