Would this work as a fundraiser for a charity food pantry?

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
Volunteers agree to maintain a diet based on World War II era rationing from Britain (the U.S. wouldn't be much of a challenge) then for every day that a volunteer stays on the diet a donor gives a certain amount of money to a food bank.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Volunteers agree to maintain a diet based on World War II era rationing from Britain (the U.S. wouldn't be much of a challenge) then for every day that a volunteer stays on the diet a donor gives a certain amount of money to a food bank.

Like the SNAP challenge? I don't know why people would give money based on other people being on war rations -- I'm missing the logic there from a bunch of angles.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like the SNAP challenge? I don't know why people would give money based on other people being on war rations -- I'm missing the logic there from a bunch of angles.
They do a similar thing down here for refugee fundraisers: Could you live on a refugees rations? Like all these things, it's about awareness-raising more than fund-raising. Lots of warm human-interest stories for news and opinion pages.

There's also the CEO Sleepout, where CEOs spend the night on the streets like rough-sleepers. I'm never sure how I feel about this sort of thing. (Trivialising or empathy-building? You decide...) I'd rather just sling out some cash, I suspect.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They do a similar thing down here for refugee fundraisers: Could you live on a refugees rations? Like all these things, it's about awareness-raising more than fund-raising. Lots of warm human-interest stories for news and opinion pages.

There's also the CEO Sleepout, where CEOs spend the night on the streets like rough-sleepers. I'm never sure how I feel about this sort of thing. (Trivialising or empathy-building? You decide...) I'd rather just sling out some cash, I suspect.

That's the SNAP challenge, basically. Food stamps in the U.S. are now called SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance prog.) and I think it started when a member of congress said something dumbassed and someone challenged him or her to live off the average benefits. Then a bunch of people did it, democratic reps, other pols, some reporters, etc. I don't believe other people donated anything though; it was, as you say, an awareness-raising exercise, posting the food they bought, receipts, etc. I remember Cory Booker did it because he's a vegan and ended up eating a bunch of tinned beans.

Last edited:

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I've done a lot of fundraisers and this honestly wouldn't move me.
Are you trying to raise food for the pantry or money?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Does this food pantry have some tie to WWII era Britain? Is there some kind of a theme going on?

Absent that, I don't see this being a big draw for donations. Maybe something closer to home. The previously mentioned SNAP challenge might be an idea, or a tie-in with something local and recognizable.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
WW2 in Britain (also the US and Canada) had Victory Gardens where public spaces and private lands and yards were planted with seasonal crops to help with the food supply, so rations regarding to type (i.e. only subsisting on porridge or potatoes and onions) was not necessarily the case. We had family in England and care packages were always sent at regular intervals with things that were scarce for them like meat, butter and eggs. I also don't see how WW2 rations would really have any relevance to too many people any more.

I have seen (as stated previously) various other poverty awareness initiatives like "Can You Live on $4.00 a Day?" which would imo be more relevant to today.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WW2 in Britain (also the US and Canada) had Victory Gardens where public spaces and private lands and yards were planted with seasonal crops to help with the food supply, so rations regarding to type (i.e. only subsisting on porridge or potatoes and onions) was not necessarily the case. We had family in England and care packages were always sent at regular intervals with things that were scarce for them like meat, butter and eggs. I also don't see how WW2 rations would really have any relevance to too many people any more.

I have seen (as stated previously) various other poverty awareness initiatives like "Can You Live on $4.00 a Day?" which would imo be more relevant to today.
They also had a pretty extensive black market. Which might change things.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
They also had a pretty extensive black market. Which might change things.

That is very true.

I always remember my great aunt sending care packages well into the 80's (which probably was a bit of a puzzle to her cousins in England) but she firmly believed a tv commercial for Red Rose Tea which had a well to do Brit sipping Red Rose tea and murmuring "Only in Canada eh? Pity." So of course every package sent contained many packages of Red Rose Tea.

RobertAnderson

Registered
Reaction score
Donation can be of various forms. One can donate or raise funds for helping the poor or for the people who suffered any loss by donating clothes, foods, clean water, etc. People who are less fortunate did not get proper facilities so there are NGO's available who help such people. Navigate here to know that the donation is really a great cause of humanity.