I have a strange theory that people of a given political

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be a bit out of step with the conversation... Put me down for cake. (Though my local pie shop does a tomato, lentil and coriander that is amaaazing.)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Friends, cake-standers and pie-r-roundists, ye need not be separate slices within the dessert cart of life. I say unto ye all that the world is not made of individual portions slapped with the savage mockery of nutrition labels.

We of the inner circle, we who know the sacred mysteries beyond these outward divisions of the display cases, we invite you in to the place where all the world is revealed to be ingredients, and all these delectables are but forms to make them in.

Come master the mixer, spin the whisk, fire the oven, come and be one of us, be a baker.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My favourite colour is deepest red, like the flag that shrouded oft our martyred dead.

No, wait. We're talking about pastries.

Love the vanilla slices from our local bakery, but the best things are their bee stings (Bienenstich).

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Can confirm, I dig modernism and I'm a dirty Red. FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION, AND A COMMUNIST UTOPIA WILL FOLLOW FORM.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
How have I not seen this thread before now?

Ages ago, I recall reading part of an article that had a passing mention of how eye color might affect favored colors, indicating that eye color subtly affected color perception.

There aren't many things I'm 100% confident on in life, but I can say with absolute certainty that this is bullshit. :)

Also, cake. Or pie, if it's beef, smothered in tomato sauce, and I'm at the footy.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Libertarianism and conservatism aren't the same thing. Libertarianism is really just another form of liberalism since both ideologies strive for chaos where individuals aren't bound by societal norms.

Since the United States is a conglomeration of tens of millions of different people from all over the world, I fail to see why anyone would expect them to be, dress, act, speak, worship, or think in the same manner. Individuality is not chaos. This country and the world as a whole would be a far more boring place if everyone was carved out of the same piece of soap.

There is a thing made in New England called Boston Cream Pie.

Will I get banned if I admit I don't like Boston Cream Pie?

Hey, as long as you don't like the Yankees, you're welcome in New England.

Pot pie, pasties, shepherd's pie, and the like. (Haven't had steak & kidney in a while. Oh, quit looking at me like that.)

Best pot pie I ever had was in a pub in Hammersmith England. Love a good shepherd's pie. Got my first introduction to them watching Julia Child. A few years ago at out local farmers market, one of the bakeries had fresh pasties, my aunt got one and said it was delicious. Never had steak and kidney pie.

Friends, cake-standers and pie-r-roundists, ye need not be separate slices within the dessert cart of life. I say unto ye all that the world is not made of individual portions slapped with the savage mockery of nutrition labels.

We of the inner circle, we who know the sacred mysteries beyond these outward divisions of the display cases, we invite you in to the place where all the world is revealed to be ingredients, and all these delectables are but forms to make them in.

Come master the mixer, spin the whisk, fire the oven, come and be one of us, be a baker.

Will you make my birthday cake?

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
ideology will have certain characteristics because of their ideology even if the characteristics don't seem to have any connection to politics, and that you can determine a person's political views by determining their non-political preferences.

For example, I as a conservative dislike modern architecture (almost everything since the 1920) and most modern music. I have a preference for the colors blue and green (likely because of their association with military uniforms). I see the personal automobile as a necessary evil that I wish could be done away with. I study history as a hobby (my biology degree comes with 40 credit hours' in history). My favorite holiday is Christmas and I've come to hate Halloween. My favorite season of the year is fall, although in Florida you can't always tell fall from summer or winter from fall.

Anybody here have any similar experience?

I have sex with men and love the colour orange. Clearly, I'm liberal. Man, you're on to something here.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I struggle daily with the great Pie vs. Cake debate.

Cake is extreme left. That's why I like it. It has personality. It has spunk. It has a certain savoir-faire and joie de vivre. Pie is just, well, pie...isn't it? Right.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
OP, you've not understood what I meant by the term "libertarian" (hint: not the political party.)

Cake and pie isn't nuanced enough. Some pies are great. Some cakes are terrible. And vice versa. Just be safe, and stick to coffee.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
damn you all.

COOFFFFEEEEEEE

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Coffee anything is acceptable, even treasured, although tea is also delightful. The only poem I've ever been inspired to write was a rumination on our household tea collection.

Only this Sunday I was sharing the virtues of mocha-flavored ice cream when a fair few java fundamentalists launched into loud counter-sermons on the subject Coffee Must Not Be Cold.

I, of course, maintain that coffee's virtues are self evident, no matter the season. And that these virtues are neither diluted nor demeaned, regardless of the manner of enjoyment.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Only this Sunday I was sharing the virtues of mocha-flavored ice cream when a fair few java fundamentalists launched into loud counter-sermons on the subject Coffee Must Not Be Cold.

I, of course, maintain that coffee's virtues are self evident, no matter the season. And that these virtues are neither diluted nor demeaned, regardless of the manner of enjoyment.

100% agree. I mean, really, Baskin-Robbins' Jamoca Almond Fudge. O.M.G! (This from someone who doesn't really care for ice cream in general.)

ETA: Oh, yeah, another vote for pie.

Last edited:

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of liberals like it up north where it's cold and wet while a lot of conservatives prefer the south where it's hot and humid. Think conservatism has a lot to do with chicken-fried steak and cream gravy? (With mashed potatoes and peas of course).