I have a strange theory that people of a given political

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
ideology will have certain characteristics because of their ideology even if the characteristics don't seem to have any connection to politics, and that you can determine a person's political views by determining their non-political preferences.

For example, I as a conservative dislike modern architecture (almost everything since the 1920) and most modern music. I have a preference for the colors blue and green (likely because of their association with military uniforms). I see the personal automobile as a necessary evil that I wish could be done away with. I study history as a hobby (my biology degree comes with 40 credit hours' in history). My favorite holiday is Christmas and I've come to hate Halloween. My favorite season of the year is fall, although in Florida you can't always tell fall from summer or winter from fall.

Anybody here have any similar experience?

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the big questions. We may never know. Assuming enough exacting correlation could be found, and further assuming we could use that correlation to infer causation, we'd still have to figure out if the egg came before the chicken, or in this case if ideology caused the preferences or if the preferences caused the ideology!

All that aside, though, nope. I don't think someone's favorite color is a good workable metric to determine their politics, or their age, or their height, or their favorite dessert.

Humans. Pretty complicated stuff.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
A cluster of dozens of these opinion bits may provide a hint in one direction, but any such item by itself signifies nothing. For example, I dislike cars just like Duncan, but I'm not a conservative. So which one of us is the outlier? Also, we might dislike them for different reasons.

Another example: I like blues and rock music, a thing I have in common with a lot of conservatives. Then again, I like other kinds of music, too. I have friends who listen to a lot of the same music I do, but their tastes are still structured differently because we all like things more or less according to endless variations in taste.

Any cluster of opinions big enough to give you a solid impression of a person will also be so fuzzy that deducting additional single pieces of information about them might get harder rather than easier. But if anything, that's what you need to make any predictions.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I think the OP is seeing patterns that aren't there, something humans are pretty good at.

I tend to prefer classic architecture (though I don't outright dislike all examples of modern architecture), I prefer the colors blue and green (green especially, because it reminds me of foliage, but blue reminds me of water), dislike cars (prefer mass transportation), adore the fall season (New England is the place to be for it!), etc etc. And I'm about as liberal as they come, so, no. :tongue

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Agree that there probably isn't any correlation. I'm much more like Introversion in that I like blue and green, dislike cars, etc. I like Victorian architecture and decor, dislike modern stuff, and I'm very liberal.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I think you've spent too long being steeped in artificially polarised American politics. Life's not a coin, there are more than two sides.

If it 'were' true, then what kind of traits would you expect to see from someone who started off hardline libertarian conservative and slowly abandoned that?

Are all my tastes and interests supposed to change as I move from conservatism to platonic totalitarianism, and then to anarchy?_?

Last edited:

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Characteristics sounds too concrete to me. I rather think that, if any such correlation exists, political leanings are simply another of the indicators of... I'll call it "personality" for brevity's sake. And despite a wealth of studies, I don't think we understand very well where personality comes from.

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
I struggle daily with the great Pie vs. Cake debate.
There is no debate. Pie. Blackberry, boysenberry, apple, or peach. Preferably one of each.

Course, this comes from one who eats cake all the time.

Which is the better defense against zombies?
22 long rifle from a 10-22. Simple.

Vampires are the bigger nuisance. I can't find a repeater bow.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
People have already said what I would about personal tastes not being a good indicator of political affiliation.

However, I did once read a theory that claimed when people have a favorite color, they subconsciously choose a color that looks flattering with their skin tone.

It holds true for me; my favorite color is purple, and I also happen to look great in purple. (darker purple. I look dreadful in lavender, or really any pastels).

But, of course, that could be a coincidence. I'd be interested to see if the pattern holds true among all of you, or if it's just a bit of fashion-magazine fluffy nonsense (I don't remember where I heard the theory).

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
People have already said what I would about personal tastes not being a good indicator of political affiliation.

However, I did once read a theory that claimed when people have a favorite color, they subconsciously choose a color that looks flattering with their skin tone.

It holds true for me; my favorite color is purple, and I also happen to look great in purple. (darker purple. I look dreadful in lavender, or really any pastels).

But, of course, that could be a coincidence. I'd be interested to see if the pattern holds true among all of you, or if it's just a bit of fashion-magazine fluffy nonsense (I don't remember where I heard the theory).

Not true for me. I look best in orange--which I don't hate or anything, but it's nowhere near my favorite.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Ages ago, I recall reading part of an article that had a passing mention of how eye color might affect favored colors, indicating that eye color subtly affected color perception. No idea what paper it was from or when it was published, unfortunately; it was pinned to the wall of a studio where I did some temporary assistant work. (IIRC, the main thrust of the article was about an artist who painted somewhat tongue-in-cheek pictures based on a country's surveyed art preferences; America was a wilderness park scene with people vaguely disporting themselves and a hippopotamus as exotic wildlife.) It was a long time ago.

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
If it 'were' true, then what kind of traits would you expect to see from someone who started off hardline libertarian conservative and slowly abandoned that?

Libertarianism and conservatism aren't the same thing. Libertarianism is really just another form of liberalism since both ideologies strive for chaos where individuals aren't bound by societal norms.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no debate. Pie. Blackberry, boysenberry, apple, or peach. Preferably one of each.

I like the cut of your jib. Though, as an avowed pietian married to a heretical cakeist, I'm also tired of the endless sectarian sniping. I hold great hope for the turducken of desserts, the pake.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Libertarianism and conservatism aren't the same thing. Libertarianism is really just another form of liberalism since both ideologies strive for chaos where individuals aren't bound by societal norms.

I've two big liberal "thumb's ups" for personal liberties, appropriately bounded by laws, but "chaos"? I'm not seeing that in any liberals I know, or read. Where does that come from?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I like the cut of your jib. Though, as an avowed pietian married to a heretical cakeist, I'm also tired of the endless sectarian sniping. I hold great hope for the turducken of desserts, the pake.

You want sectarian sniping, dude, keep calling me "heretical" on AW. You pie fanatics are all alike.