Secret Service depletes funds to pay agents because of Trump's frequent travel, large family

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Secret Service depletes funds to pay agents because of Trump's frequent travel, large family

The agency has faced a crushing workload since the height of the contentious election season, and it has not relented in the first seven months of the administration. Agents must protect Trump – who has traveled almost every weekend to his properties in Florida, New Jersey and Virginia – and his adult children whose business trips and vacations have taken them across the country and overseas.

I chose this quote because of "his properties." He's making money hand over fist (even with charities cancelling galas at Mar-A-Lago).

Trump's frequent visits to his "winter White House" and "summer White House" are especially challenging for the agency, which must maintain a regular security infrastructure at each – while still allowing access to paying members and guests.

Always costly in manpower and equipment, the president's jaunts to Mar-a-Lago are estimated to cost at least $3 million each, based on a General Accounting Office estimate for similar travel by former President Obama. The Secret Service has spent some $60,000 on golf cart rentals alone this year to protect Trump at both Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster.

Sixty grand just for golf carts. We pay, *45 plays and lines his pockets.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It would be interesting if in the middle of the year the Secret Service announced "We're broke. No money until next year. Mr. President, you'll either have to pay for us to travel with you or (horrors) stay in the White House until next fiscal year."

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm half-expecting him to trade out the Secret Service for Blackwater at this point.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm half-expecting him to trade out the Secret Service for Blackwater at this point.

Me, too - though that wouldn't solve the budget issue. (You don't think he'll pay for his security out of his own pocket, do you? And mercenaries have never worked for free...)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
He (Trump Tower) refused to cut the SS a deal on rent, and thus they're currently housed in a trailer outside the building. Maybe he could hire Ted Nugent to follow him around, or his little security guys from NY, and let the SS go back to chasing counterfeiters.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, too - though that wouldn't solve the budget issue. (You don't think he'll pay for his security out of his own pocket, do you? And mercenaries have never worked for free...)

Why should he pay for it? He's the motherfu(HUSH YOUR MOUTH!) president of the US.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I never have, and never will, understood why the Secret Service has to fully protect the president's grown-ass sons and daughters. Traveling with their dad? Yeah. Skiing every other weekend in Colorado? Hunting in Africa? Hell no.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I never have, and never will, understand why the Secret Service has to fully protect the president's grown-ass sons and daughters. Traveling with their dad? Yeah. Skiing every other weekend in Colorado? Hunting in Africa? Hell no.

To prevent hostage-taking the president's children.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I am both amused and horrified by fiscal conservatives who screamed about Obama going to Hawaii once a year, brushing this off as a "nothing burger."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Meals on Wheels.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
To prevent hostage-taking the president's children.

I understand the "reasons". I don't think they're entirely valid ones, especially with the comingling of Trump's financial gains with the service. It's not required that they have the detail, just "authorized."

The few exceptions are Ronald Reagan's youngest son, Ron, who declined Secret Service protection during his father's second term, and Richard and Pat Nixon, who canceled their lifetime protection in 1985, to save the government money. They hired their own security detail.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
He has no honor and is scum as far as I'm concerned.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
What's not required is that the President of the United States take 27 golfing outings, involving major travel, in seven months.

caw

He's our first president who retired while still in office.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I know *45 has a thing about sleeping in his own bed and called the White House a dump, but I swear all these trips to Trump properties are mostly about the money he rakes in when he goes. Even if he didn't want to golf, I think he would just to make money from it and to show that he can be as big a hypocrite as he wants and still have support. Now, he'll go to AZ and pre-screened and possibly paid audience members will scream their adulation.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I know *45 has a thing about sleeping in his own bed and called the White House a dump, but I swear all these trips to Trump properties are mostly about the money he rakes in when he goes. Even if he didn't want to golf, I think he would just to make money from it and to show that he can be as big a hypocrite as he wants and still have support. Now, he'll go to AZ and pre-screened and possibly paid audience members will scream their adulation.

A senator from AZ praised him to no end on NPR this morning. I was in shock. He totally swept all of the issues from the past few weeks under the rug as if they had no bearing on the GREAT Mr. Trump.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I understand the "reasons". I don't think they're entirely valid ones, especially with the comingling of Trump's financial gains with the service. It's not required that they have the detail, just "authorized."

No one foresaw a president who, along with his family, would put his own wealth and welfare above everything else.

Previous presidents went into office to serve. Even those who made decisions I despised treated their position as an honor and a privilege.

This president thinks he's the boss of America, and as the boss, he's entitled to every little thing he can get his hands on.

We need to set limits on SS duties by statute. Set a reasonable budget that covers all necessary duties and a reasonable amount of personal travel, and a reasonable number of protectees. Anything above that has to be covered out of the protectees' own pockets. I'm saddened that we see ourselves in need of this kind of regulation, but we're proven that America is willing to put a money-grubbing entitled ass in the Oval Office, so we find ourselves in need of limits.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by how they're going to solve this. Will Trump the man-of-the-people taxcutter demand more tax dollars? Will he stop travelling (yeah, right)? Will he try to pull a fast one by robbing one bureaucratic Peter to pay another administrative Paul?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it speaks volumes for the kind of man DJT is that he charges the men and women whose job it is to take a bullet for him, to rent golf carts at his own resorts. Ergo, they pay him,so they can protect him.