Defenders

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finished the 8 part series over the weekend...my binge-y-est endeavor to date. I loved it, but I even liked Iron Fist, so what do I know? Anyone else?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Jessica Jones is the only character I cared about, so after the first episode I dropped out and canceled my Netflix contract.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I liked it. I found the villains to be a little inconsistent, but for me the high light was actually the way the writers handled the individual characters. Even though the episode in the Chinese Restaurant was probably the cheapest one to produce, it was probably also my favorite, because they just let the characters have at it and interact.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I just finished it. It's fairly short at 8 episodes. Yeah, I wasn't clear on what exactly the villains were up to. They kept saying cryptic things like they serve "life itself", when it would have been much more effective to have them be a lot less cryptic. Also, I wasn't particularly into the weird stuff as they came in. I liked Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage because they were all more "down to earth; less weird, mystical stuff, just people with abilities (I haven't seen Iron Fist). But it didn't get *too* weird, and I enjoyed it overall. I thought Alexandra was interesting, even though I don't think I *got* her (again, the cryptic thing). I love the interaction between the four main characters, especially when Matt was refusing to play along.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I just finished it (like 10 minutes ago). After slogging through Iron Fist, The Defenders seemed to fly by. I really felt they had no idea what to do with Jessica however. A lot of the feats of strength they gave to Luke she could easily have handled. Also, Iron Fist = so whiney.

Am I the only one that thinks Kilgrave has really been the only worthy villain? The Hand, for immortals, were incredibly inept. Wilson Fisk was a big baby. And Luke's storyline cycled through so many villains I could barely keep them straight.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it. Great idea, handled well by all.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely loved it! Jessica Jones had some of the best lines. They brought each character in so well. Each one was invested and had something to lose.

And while I didn't hate Iron Fist the series, I thought they did sooooo much better with Danny this time around. His scenes with Luke were some of the best.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
And while I didn't hate Iron Fist the series, I thought they did sooooo much better with Danny this time around. His scenes with Luke were some of the best.

I'm kind of curious now how far they're going to take the friendship between Luke and Danny, since in the comics they're supposed to be best friends and even business partners in "Heroes For Hire."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After slogging through the first two episodes which were talk-talk-TALK, things improved with the final six. It was good, but not great and would come in forth behind the first season of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, but before Daredevil's 2nd season. I didn't bother with Iron Fist as the word of mouth on it was it was hot garbage.

It's nice to see Luke and Jessica and Matt and Misty and Colleen and Foggy and Claire and Karen getting on so well. Oh yeah, Danny Rand. He can't sit with us!

I'm pretty sick of The Hand, but Sigourney Weaver was good as a bad guy who doesn't consider herself all bad. Elodie Yung isn't much of an actress, but she's pretty to look at and she was much better as Elektra than she was in the sluggish, non-Punisher episodes of Daredevil season two.

I thought The Defenders was fine. Probably a "B minus" when I feel charitable and a solid "C" when I don't.

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away, and I guess I was expecting a lot, because I felt a little disappointed. I did also like Danny more than in Iron Fist. A review I read put pit perfectly - in IF, Danny Rand was whiny and annoying but the show didn't seem to know it, but in Defenders, that clearly was part of the point of his character, and his arc. I particularly loved when Danny shouted for them not to treat him like a kid, and Murdoch said, "Then don't act like one." Classic, and so true in that moment.

I really felt they had no idea what to do with Jessica however. A lot of the feats of strength they gave to Luke she could easily have handled. Also, Iron Fist = so whiney.

Am I the only one that thinks Kilgrave has really been the only worthy villain? The Hand, for immortals, were incredibly inept. Wilson Fisk was a big baby. And Luke's storyline cycled through so many villains I could barely keep them straight.

I definitely agree about Jessica. I've heard a lot of people say that although the plot was weak, the character stuff was great, but I'm not sure I entirely agree. I think some of the character stuff could have been better, especially Jessica and her input. I also thought she could've done some of the stuff they gave to Luke, and in dialogue scenes with the whole group, she never contributed much besides saying things like, "What?" Which isn't exactly out of character, but she's capable of more, and it got boring after a while.

I do think Kilgrave was a great villain, but I enjoyed Fisk as well (though not as much as some people), and I really, really liked Cottonmouth - wish they would've kept him around longer.