• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

A List: of Some Brighter Stars within the Publishing Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iconian

Registered
Reaction score
As a new author, I've been looking around for a book publisher and agent for the last couple months, but it's quite a daunting task. Perhaps, for example, you have noticed the massive index of agents, publishers, and others, here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?792-INDEX-TO-AGENTS-PUBLISHERS-AND-OTHERS I've discovered a number of places online with huge lists, but it can take so long to sort through them to find good publishers. Perhaps there are others here that feel the same way.

So instead, how about a much smaller list--a list of perhaps only a few dozen agents and publishers? And not just any agents or publishers, but hopefully the better ones out there?

That is the purpose of this thread. I'll be including a few that I've found, but I'd also like to hear from others out there, particularly authors, that have discovered good publishers and agents.

Just what constitutes a "good" publisher or agent, you might ask? Admittedly it's subjective, but lately there are a few particular qualities I've been looking for. A publisher that pays higher royalties than the 10-15% that's standard for the industry, for example. Also, a publisher that is effective at marketing books, and makes a real effort to do so, even for new authors. And a publisher that doesn't use unconscionable or unfair contract clauses, or deceptive language.

If you're interested in contributing to this thread, please heed the following rules. If you have the name of a publisher to add to the list, please put their name in bold. If you have the name of an agent to add to the list, please put their name in italics. Please include a short description of the agent or publisher, and if you've personally had experience with them, include a summary of that experience. If possible, include the genres they publish or represent, what sort of royalties they pay out, and any reasons you can think of that especially set them apart from their competition. And alternatively, if you find a name on this list that you believe shouldn't be on it, please leave a post here indicating that, and giving some reasons why you think it shouldn't appear on the list.

And finally, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns related to any of this, or for more detailed criteria on what publishers and agents to include, please visit the original thread this was split off from, http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...-with-one-of-the-really-big-publishers-either

Remember: this thread is just to be a list of publishers and agents, with some reasons as to why they should either be on the list, or not. Any other discussion should be taken to the other thread.

Last edited:

Iconian

Registered
Reaction score
Crossroad Press: I believe they publish all genres.

I don't really know what their contracts might be like--but from their "About" page, they have a strong commitment to their authors, not just maxing out their own profits. They give the author 80% of net sales (and apparently net sales means all the money taken in from all the books sold, minus any money for returns, damaged or lost books, that sort of thing).

And if you're wondering why I don't try to go with Crossroads Press if I like them so much, they apparently only work with authors that have already been published, but I'm trying to get my first book published.

TCK Publishing: They accept fiction and non-fiction, in pretty much every genre out there. And, from their submissions page:

"At TCK Publishing, we believe in creating long-term partnerships that are good for you and for us. That’s why we split all royalties with our authors 50/50, so you’re earning 3-6 times the amount of royalties you would with a typical traditional publisher. Our goal is to help you earn a full-time income from book sales."

These guys sound pretty good to me, but right now I feel like I want to continue researching still.

Hopefully others will also start commenting on this thread with better publishers they know of out there.

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I'm concerned this thread is putting out information that, while well meant, may be less than helpful to new authors. I urge everyone to go read the advice from more experienced authors in the related thread linked by the OP, above.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Very often new authors, in their well-meaning zeal to ease the path or find some kind of shortcut, often seem to invent solutions like this. It exists. It's called research, not only the related thread but Publisher's Marketplace, Pub Weekly, Writer Beware, Making Light, and any number of genre-specific blogs and sites.

I'm older and very, very cynical, but I honestly don't want to drag down anyone's dreams. Please believe me, learning who to consider as an agent or a publisher is a necessary part of the journey.

This blog post by yours truly doesn't generally name agents or publishers, but it does give an overview of what to look out for, based on my ignominious track record (and from watching other people's misadventures).

http://www.cranehanabooks.com/blog/filigrees-rule-infuriating-content-advisory/

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I don't really know what their contracts might be like--but from their "About" page, they have a strong commitment to their authors, not just maxing out their own profits. They give the author 80% of net sales (and apparently net sales means all the money taken in from all the books sold, minus any money for returns, damaged or lost books, that sort of thing).

And if you're wondering why I don't try to go with Crossroads Press if I like them so much, they apparently only work with authors that have already been published, but I'm trying to get my first book published.

I wouldn't recommend them. They're run by someone with no experience in publishing at all, they don't have distribution, their books are non-returnable and they only use POD. There are several errors on their site, which means their editing is likely to be poor. You could do better if you self publish.

TCK Publishing:
They accept fiction and non-fiction, in pretty much every genre out there. And, from their submissions page:

"At TCK Publishing, we believe in creating long-term partnerships that are good for you and for us. That’s why we split all royalties with our authors 50/50, so you’re earning 3-6 times the amount of royalties you would with a typical traditional publisher. Our goal is to help you earn a full-time income from book sales."

These guys sound pretty good to me, but right now I feel like I want to continue researching still.

Hopefully others will also start commenting on this thread with better publishers they know of out there.

Just that one quote about "earning 3-6 times the amount of royalties you would with a typical traditional publisher" shows that they don't know what they're talking about.

The front page of their website is a pop-up-rich sales-hype, selling various marketing techniques to their visitors. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole either.

If you want to know more about these two publishers, then look in the BR&BC index to see if there's a thread about them already and if there isn't, start one. It's confusing when people try to discuss multiple publishers in one thread.

As I've explained in your previous thread in another room, we can't make a list of all the best publishers because different books, different genres, need different publishers and what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

Red flag for me.

TCK Publishing: They accept fiction and non-fiction, in pretty much every genre out there.

Again, red flag.

If there is a "Best Publishers" list that includes these two presses, I would advise new writers to be very cautious about trusting such a list.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red flag for me.

Again, red flag.

If there is a "Best Publishers" list that includes these two presses, I would advise new writers to be very cautious about trusting such a list.
I'd advise new writers to step away from this thread. And I'd remind the OP that when this thread was suggested the response was pretty strongly weighted against it for excellent reasons.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'd advise new writers to step away from this thread. And I'd remind the OP that when this thread was suggested the response was pretty strongly weighted against it for excellent reasons.

What mccardey said. A list can't give all the details that the individual threads do, and what makes a good publisher depends on the author, their career goals, and the book itself.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The old advice is still the best advice:

To find reasonable publishers and agents for your book, go to a physical bookstore. Find books similar to yours that are physically on the shelves. That you touch with your own hands. Look at who published them, find out who agented them. Get those publishers' and those agents' guidelines and follow them to the letter.

If you aren't familiar with the market, become familiar with it.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
So instead, how about a much smaller list--a list of perhaps only a few dozen agents and publishers?

The problem here (and I'm sure you mean well) is this is far too short a list to strive for. It's a starting point, for any Author to narrow down their first choices for either submitting to an Agent or to an Editor (not both at the same time) but it could never encompass all the genre's Writers work in, to say a dozen Agents/publishers are the best ones. One of us may writer erotica, while another picture books, then everything in between. Agents that take one, may well never touch the other (and certainly for those 2 extreme's I've mentioned:)

lately there are a few particular qualities I've been looking for. A publisher that pays higher royalties than the 10-15% that's standard for the industry, for example. Also, a publisher that is effective at marketing books, and makes a real effort to do so, even for new authors.

I don't think paying higher then industry standard makes a publisher better then another. In fact standard 10% can be just wonderful, if it's a large or at least good publisher. When the royalty rate goes higher, then I really have to investigate the publisher is not vanity, as it's a proven way to entice writers into signing with them. As for marketing, so long as they have skin in the game (an advance for example) they will offer marketing because it and promotion is self serving, they need to earn back at least the cost of getting that book to launch but what they really want is profit, just as we do.

I'm afraid, even with the best intentions to start a thread of submission possibilities by writers (some experienced, many not) will be harder to go through and vet for vanities, then the usual venues of here at AW, Query Tracker, WD annuals, etc.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Specific input about specific publishers can be found in their individual threads. If there's no individual thread, start one.

I know nothing about Crossroads but wouldn't consider TCK for a moment, because they base their royalties on net after deducting print and shipping costs - costs which can fluctuate from day-to-day and make it nearly impossible for an author to cross-check their royalty figures. That information is contained in the pre-existing thread, which has already been linked to above.

I think this thread is more harmful than useful.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah we're not doing this.

Presumably you've spent months if not years writing your book.

Finding a home for your book should be worth some time and effort.

You need to spend some time educating yourself about publishing. You've got some good advice here; you should follow it.

The old advice is still the best advice:

To find reasonable publishers and agents for your book, go to a physical bookstore. Find books similar to yours that are physically on the shelves. That you touch with your own hands. Look at who published them, find out who agented them. Get those publishers' and those agents' guidelines and follow them to the letter.

If you aren't familiar with the market, become familiar with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.