Opinion on comps

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
I started out(in my head and here on the forum) with ghost as a comp...yes the movie. I know I feel dumb for suggesting I comp my ms to a movie. I just can't find any novels out there that are similar. I liked my life and safe haven are what I am currently at, both novels. What do y'all think about comping safe haven? It's a Nicholas sparks novel and 7 years young. I heard to stay current, but having a difficult time finding anything closer to my genre or character pov than those two. Suggestions?

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
I think if you already have one good current comp (I LIKE MY LIFE being a 2017 release), you'd be safe reaching for a movie or slightly older book like SAFE HAVEN for your second--if you thought they were especially apt.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm guessing it's short for "comparison"? Agents and editors sometimes want authors to include a list of comparable titles when they submit.

Usually, they want something really recent, though, as in out within the last couple of years and currently a bestseller.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Okay, so what's a "comp"?

Comp as in "Comparison." When you query for agents or publishers, you can use them to say "This novel will appeal to readers of ______." It's usually not required, but some agents may request them. They help identify the market and marketability, or can just appeal to the agent/publisher because they really liked the comp title. You typically want to use recent novels, not old successes, movies, or TV shows. Which can stink when one of those would be a perfect comp.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so what's a "comp"?

Thank the Lord I'm not the only one who thought that. :)

I equated a "comp" the same as the term is used in the real estate field, comparable listings that buyers would judge your pricing by. In other words. novels comparable to what you're writing. But that's an assumption, not necessarily what the OP meant.

For the OP, if that's what you meant, then novels in your genre with a similar feel to them would be appropriate. Movie scripts and movies less so, since watching movies and reading aren't necessarily direct comparisons. Lots of movie goers rarely read and vice versa.

Jeff

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I found a brand spanking new novel by Debbie macomber any dream will do, that has some of the same elements and genre as mine. I think it will do great.