Starting over. Let the journey begin, again!

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Updated information (2021) in post 10: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/in...the-journey-begin-again.331142/#post-10711537

Apologies if this reads like I’m writing a book. I wrote it in Word. Ha! My other updates won’t read nearly this well. This is also my first self-publishing thread. :)

First things first, a quick “about me”: (I'll be publishing M/M fantasy romance)

I am not at all new to this self publishing thing. In 2016, I was still a hybrid author. Today, that pen name is retired. In 2011, I self published my first title, then decided I wanted to try digital-only imprints, and hybridized myself. I had a blast self publishing my first series between 2011 and 2012, simply because I loved to write and didn’t give a damn about money or recognition. But then a light went off. A voice said, “Holy hell, I can make money from this if I do it right”.

That’s where I screwed up. Through 2013 to 2016, I worked more with presses than self publishing anything. I changed things up and wrote in genres I hated. Why? Because it was pretty much about the money at that point.

However, I wasn’t having fun. At all. I was working too hard at quantity than quality, trying to speed up my wpm, beating word count records for year’s past, all to get as many books written as I can. Nope, no fun at all, especially with two teenagers, one with special needs, and a part-time job to tend to. Oh, and a stint of depression in 2014 didn’t help at all!

In early 2017, I retired my old pen name’s (I was working with two at the time) and took all my self published titles off the shelves.

I haven’t worried at all about writing since and it’s been a wonderful two year reprieve. I can finally breath again!

I still love to write, though. I still love to share my stuff with the public. So here’s my new project, to self publish with no qualms and just enjoy myself. I’ve chosen to work in a genre I know – M/M romance. I’ll be writing mainly fantasy romance, mixing in some paranormal. I also have ideas for a western. But I will not touch contemporary! I find it pretty boring.

Yeah, basically I’m doing what I believe I should have done with my old pen name. Gosh, I hope this works out for me.

It might take a while to update this thread again, since I’m not planning to press “Publish” until 2018. Until then, I have a lot of work to get done, including finalizing my new pen name.

Note: it's time to hit "publish"!

I have $0 start-up capital. No funds for websites or advertising. All I have left is the experience and some left over image packs from DepositPhotos to design my own cover art. Wait, I take that back. I was commissioning this guy for cover art, but ran out of cash. Another hobby kind of got in the way. Since I have a six-book series to brand, I figured I’ll just use stock art for now.

On to the books:

A six + book M/M fantasy romance series, released one every three months while I get back into the writing game.

For right now, there are six books with a seventh written and 2 more planned. I also have several other in-progress story ideas I may write. So I have been busy!

My Overall Goals:

Simply, to write and have fun while selling my books online. Kind of like the point I was at in 2011 with my first book, but the market is a completely different atmosphere than it was back then, and I know that. I have a decently thick skin and I’m ready for the challenges this new era may bring.

Any money made from sales will be put back into the business, i.e. marketing, website, cover art, etc, but I’ll worry about that later.

I’ve also set up a separate business Paypal and a separate email away from personal or my old pen name stuff. It’s something I didn’t do last time.

I’m also working on properly branding my covers and coming up with a tagline. Anything I didn’t do back then, I’m trying to doing now. Basically, I want to look like I know what I’m doing. Haha!

And yeah, I like doing all this stuff. It’s kind of weird to be worrying about branding when I just want to write, but it’s fun.

My Three Month Goals:

Continue working on preparing these six books for publication. Three of them are mostly complete, they just need a re-read. One needs a serious editing session. And the other two need edits completed.

I’m also going to finalize my pen name, at last. It will probably be Nanette Stark or Nanette Starr – but “Starr” doesn’t sound fantasy-ish to me.

I’ll be preparing a release schedule and hope my next update will include that.

Plan edited as of August 2019!

Last edited:
Reactions: lonestarlibrarian

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, motivating post. Thanks!

I am a lot like you. I hope to have a career doing this, but my primary thing is enjoying my life, enjoying writing these stories and sending them out into the world, and not stressing myself. I had a book deal that fell through, and that whole time in my life was SO miserable. Always stressing about selling the book and worried the publisher would be angry my sales were too low. I knew I never wanted to go through that again. I wanted my author business to be only me and if I didn't feel like selling a book, oh well. It can just sit there on Amazon until someone happens to find it. And during that time, rather than stressing, I will be writing more books. :)

Lots of luck on your journey! I will keep checking back on this thread. I plan to begin self-publishing in Spring 2018. :)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back! Here's hoping things work out, it's a far different game than it was back in 2011.

But it sounds like you've got a good plan and solid expectations, so I think you'll be pretty happy with how it goes. Either way, keep us in the loop so we can cheer and/or learn from you!

CaesarNaples

Collective intox
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting over too. In the past, I have self published a collection under a pen name. I mostly made it available for friends and family to show off some of my flash fiction and short stories. I put the collections for sale but never sold a copy. I made my own cover for the books.

Now I'm wanting to start on a sci fi novel. I want to use my real name. I've learned a lot about putting a book together and marketing, so maybe I can sell some copies. This new effort I
will be good for my writing, too. I've wanted to write a novel for a long time.

I heard a piece of advice that sounded absurd at first but I may follow it for my sci fi novel. Someone suggested finishing the cover before anything else, even the writing. I'd like to do this so that I know I have a great cover, and so I can stay consistent with my branding throughout marketing. My hurdle is going to be finishing the novel.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the well wishes.

I'm working on my NaNo "project" right now: complete edits for two books in this 6+ book series. If I have time left in the month, I'll work on edits for the third novel and finish the 7th book in the series.

Crossing my fingers I'm happy with whatever I choose. I'll update soon-ish. Good luck with everyone's endeavors!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elenitsa

Dynastic

Megalomaniac with a typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
I really like your approach. I am a newbie working on his first romance novel that I plan on self publishing.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Hello again!

It's been two years since I started this post. A lot of things have changed, and I took a super long hiatus from writing, but it's time to get back in the saddle.

I wanted to update this post and say that I am no longer going to purchase Vellum (since I could never afford it).

After playing with several programs in the last week, I have decided to use Kindle Create exclusively for the Zon, and Draft2Digital for everything else. I really like Kindle Create as it's pretty much replicating what Vellum does LOL

I haven't yet come up with a release schedule, but I'm still set on releasing one book every 3 months. This, hopefully, gives me time to get back into the groove of writing daily. Of course, I'm still going to do this for fun.

No special email account (going with gmail), no paying for website hosting (sticking with Weebly), and NO MAILING LIST. Sorry... sorry. I just... Am I the only one who dislikes the popups advertising to join someone's mailing list? I think folks have probably joined a million mailing lists at this point, and I'd rather spend time writing new books than creating newsletters.

I have yet to compile any new information about marketing since starting my hiatus in 2016, but I think a lot of my old information is still relevant.

Okay, so... this is my plan. I'll post more later when I figure out a sure release date and exactly what I'm doing.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Can I double post in my own thread?

I've made a lot of changes in my decision since the last post in September, but I'm still starting over.

1. I'm bringing back my old pen name - she published M/M erotic romance between 2011 and 2016. I feel it's best to bring her back than starting a new pen name since I still have all my old log ins.

2. I've started a website! You can see it in my signature.

3. I'm creating a mailing list. I've done some research and found the MailerLite is now the best. Since I had trouble integrating MailChimp into my website, I'll check out MailerLite.

4. I'll try to advertise in certain areas: Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram*, and Goodreads for now.

*I researched Instagram. It's very popular to make a "collage" type advertisement and tag it. Tag. Tag. Tag. The #romancebooks tag is super popular as well as others.

I'll give it a shot.

5. I'm doing KU for 3 months, then going wide for my books. I still have a Google Book partnership, too, and I read that although Amazon sells mostly to US, UK, and Australia, other countries use Google more. Not sure how true this statement is, but I'll give it a shot.

6. I'm going to set up the first book in this series for preorder. Release sometime in December.

That's all for now. Thoughts?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread, again, to detail some of my self-publishing adventures over the year. After taking extended hiatuses from writing/publishing, now I'm an empty-nester and unemployed so I figure it's time to jump aboard the ship and try to make it sail.

Note: I still write M/M fantasy, with some being erotic and some not. I'm also dabbling in other fantasy genres. I'm also the "lazy self-publisher", in the sense that I get into the mood to publish one day, then the next, my mind is set on something completely different than writing stuff.

Over the year, I continued to post free fiction on ScribbleHub every-so-often, which if it contributed to sales, they were spotty and were mostly my first novel which is .99. Last month, I added my free fic to Royal Roads. I also have stuff on Wattpad but I'm no longer active there.

Also, I currently have 3 books published. Two at .99 cents, one is 2.99 and they are all available wide -- Amazon, Draft2Digital distribution, and Google Books. Also working on Smashwords.

Marketing:

I completely failed to market my last book published this February = poor sales numbers. I can probably count on my hand how many of those books I've sold. Don't. Be. Lazy.

Yesterday the publishing bug bit my arse and I decided to get busy formatting my fourth book for publication. I threw it up as a pre-order on Amazon, and posted it on my not-writing-related Twitter. To my surprise, I have 2 pre-orders.

I've read the Twitter isn't worth the trouble unless you already have a following. I'd say this is very true. My author Twitter has 3 followers. My other Twitter has 1k... + followers, although they don't all follow for my writing stuff. If you do Twitter, just make sure to tweet about other stuff, even random stuff. Art stuff. Fanfic. Movies. Other books you've read. Try to gain a following, then market.

Instagram doesn't really get anywhere, either, from what I've seen. 4 likes on my author Instagram. Should I try using my not-writing-related Insta for marketing??

I have yet to try Facebook again since I've deleted my old author profile.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Adding a couple more tidbits:

I put all 3 books of my series on Smashwords within the last 2 days. Just the SW store + B&N since I also have them on Draft2Digital for other networks. I have made a couple sales. Hey, a couple is a couple.

I've also started a "better late than never" campaign to advertise last February's release. I posted ads to Facebook groups, Instagram, and Twitter, using necessary hashtags when needed. I'll report back in a couple days if that had any effect.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Update:

The "better late than never" was a bust. I had 1 sale, but I don't think it was from the ad campaign as the sale happened days after I posted.

I am releasing a short prequel to my series and making it KDP Select only. I plan on running some free promos. It includes clickable links to the other books in the series. Hoping to entice readers to check out my other books.

ETA: I don't want to add a new post until I get some figures, so today (Nov 16th) I played with my keywords. I was using short, basic, and boring keywords. We'll see if this has any effect in the next week.

My free promo I set for Nov 23/24 in hopes people read books while cooking Thanksgiving dinner???

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya--

FWIW that's my plan of approach. I'm releasing book two soon (in series, science fantasy) and in a month will release a prequel to try the 'snowball' strategy. The prequel will be offered on sale or free and advertised five days out of every 90, with hopes for read-through.

When I have a full trilogy of novels I'll look at box set options. I hear these have some appeal for customers. And I'll try to get a few more short prequels out (other secondary characters) and eventually the prequels will be bound into a novel-length anthology.

Good luck.

Reactions: c.m.n.