Bleh..! Bleh...! Bleh......

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
We've all tried foods that we thought were something else. My aunt had a favorite story of chocolate Jimmies. I've yet to find out what they were other than a confection that were available between WWI and WW2 that were as far as I could gather chocolate sprinkles. She went to a coming out party, (probably doesn't mean what you think since it was in the 1930's) and there was some sort of cracker / cookie / confection with with a lumpy dark topping. She thought it was chocolate Jimmies. It turned out it was caviar on crackers.

My most recent, "Bleh," moment was that my son was visiting and my wife decided that that things were too disorganized in the fridge. She picked up some boxed wine. Due to blue laws it wasn't what I would have preferred. That's not really the problem. I can blend it with some seltzer water, maybe some fruit juice and the tannins will be dealt with. The problem came in where generally I do all the cooking. I know where things are in the fridge. I use whatever containers at the time seem appropriate based on volume, likelihood of use and so on.

As I mentioned, my wife picked up some boxed wine. Due to blue laws it was not what I had requested. The tannins where a bit off the scale. That's ok, we'll just cut the wine with something else. Seltzer water should work...the problem being that in an old seltzer bottle I store ready to use humming bird feed....and other people don't know how I've arranged the fridge............................So, blending some Merlot with too much tannins with hummingbird feed tastes amazingly like a brand name of too sweet wine. I could not stomach it, but my son thought it, "interesting."

Those of you who've read my posts will find a rare event where I've made a blessing sign and walked off into the woods...No, to me...Way too sweet.

What are your, "Bleh!" moments?

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who moves one thing in my fridge is immediately sentenced to death!

MM

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was at my cousin's house, and she'd laid out various pre-dinner nibbles in the living room. Chips & dip, veggies, crackers & hummus, etc. There was a bowl of something that looked like chopped liver. Since this was the type of gathering where chopped liver might reasonably be expected & I like chopped liver, I helped myself to some on a cracker.

Not chopped liver. Not even close. It wasn't even eggplant caponata, which would have been my second guess based on its appearance, but some sort of sweet & sour herring salad. Not at all what I expected, and not at all nice!

I observed later that the bowl that went back into the kitchen when the room was cleared was still nearly full.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
After a few too many times of thinking that the cheese on a cracker (in salad, on an hors d'oeurvres platter etc), was actually something delicious, only to find out once it was in my mouth, that it was goat's cheese (blech, ptui, spit, hack, blah!). I now ask what kind of cheese it is before I sample it, so I don't have to find a way to remove it's obnoxious presence in a refined manner.

(Yeah I know people think it's delicious but it's just so disgusting to me, it's all I can do to not spit it out then and there.)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
After a few too many times of thinking that the cheese on a cracker (in salad, on an hors d'oeurvres platter etc), was actually something delicious, only to find out once it was in my mouth, that it was goat's cheese (blech, ptui, spit, hack, blah!). I now ask what kind of cheese it is before I sample it, so I don't have to find a way to remove it's obnoxious presence in a refined manner.

(Yeah I know people think it's delicious but it's just so disgusting to me, it's all I can do to not spit it out then and there.)
There are many varieties of cheese made from goats' milk all with various flavor profiles and melting abilities. Around here it usually means a white sour very soft cheese. If that is it, next time that you have the ability to try a small amount, don't put it on a cracker. Instead use a slice of salty meat (prosciutto, pastrami etc, even caviar or pickled capers) and something sweet, like a fresh fig if you can get it. On a cracker by itself, yeah, it leaves something to be desired.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
As a child I used to make fry bread regularly (basically tortillas with an added leavening agent, in the same family as funnel cake). Once I screwed up and added baking soda instead of baking powder.

Bleargh. :e2thud:Sooo bitter and gross!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
A cup of egg whites looks a lot like a cup of yellow gatorade when you're busy baking in the kitchen.... just saying.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
A cup of egg whites looks a lot like a cup of yellow gatorade when you're busy baking in the kitchen.... just saying.
lol

- - - Updated - - -

As a child I used to make fry bread regularly (basically tortillas with an added leavening agent, in the same family as funnel cake). Once I screwed up and added baking soda instead of baking powder.

Bleargh. :e2thud:Sooo bitter and gross!
and there is such a thing as soda bread

My sister used to experiment with things that resisted experimentation and thankfully she had neither screens on her windows nor air conditioning. It made tossing things out the window so much easier when her back was turned.

The squirrels ate it...sometimes

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
There are many varieties of cheese made from goats' milk all with various flavor profiles and melting abilities. Around here it usually means a white sour very soft cheese. If that is it, next time that you have the ability to try a small amount, don't put it on a cracker. Instead use a slice of salty meat (prosciutto, pastrami etc, even caviar or pickled capers) and something sweet, like a fresh fig if you can get it. On a cracker by itself, yeah, it leaves something to be desired.

No, sorry George. There is no such thing as tasty goat cheese for me and I am not a particularly picky eater and I love cheese (and I don't even mind sheep's milk cheese) but goat's cheese will always taste like goats smell to me. And it doesn't matter if it's fresh, ripened, aged or mild or if people try to disguise it with herbs, spices, coatings, dressings, in things, or on top of things, as soon as it hits my tastebuds I want to gag. Sometimes I'm forced to swallow and smile politely but it doesn't change the fact that I cannot eat it. And I'm annoyed that it has gotten so ubiquitous - practically everything in the restaurants (here at least) has goat's cheese in it, or on it, so I'm forced to be one of those really annoying diners that waiters hate who question ingredients.

Goat's cheese blech ptui!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Nothing like thinking you're taking a sip of sweet tea, and it turns out to be Coke. Or vice versa, as shows on my husband's face when he accidentally takes a sip of my drink.

Cooking-wise, I've never mixed up ingredients and have no memories of eating anything that wasn't what I expected, but I did once make make cookies thinking that 1 cup of flour = 8 oz of flour. Cause I had a measuring cup that had a liquid measure and a flour measure (2 cups is about 4 to 6oz of flour, IIRC). So, uh, yeah. I made cookies with 3 to 4x the flour it called for. They were... hockey pucks. Bleh.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This didn't happen to me, but to my dog. When the laws changed here to allow the sale of hard liquor in grocery stores, I bought a bottle of Sailor Jerry's Rum because it came recommended to me. It turned out to be 92 proof, so I had to water it way down to drink it recreationally. Even then I couldn't finish the glass, so I stashed it in the fridge. When I came home from work later that night the dog was thirsty. I saw a glass of what looked like cold water in the fridge and poured it into her water bowl. You can guess the rest...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
As the saying goes, raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason I have trust issues...

As for mistaken food stories, my dad tells of the time when, as a kid, he saw what he took to be slabs of steak on the dinner table and helped himself to the biggest one of all. Then he took a big bite... turns out it was liver. This was Depression era, where it was expected that a kid clean his plate. He could. Not. Eat. That. Liver. And this was a boy raised eating chicken feet...

To this day, the one food my father will not eat in any way, shape, or form is liver.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
No, sorry George. There is no such thing as tasty goat cheese for me and I am not a particularly picky eater and I love cheese (and I don't even mind sheep's milk cheese) but goat's cheese will always taste like goats smell to me. And it doesn't matter if it's fresh, ripened, aged or mild or if people try to disguise it with herbs, spices, coatings, dressings, in things, or on top of things, as soon as it hits my tastebuds I want to gag. Sometimes I'm forced to swallow and smile politely but it doesn't change the fact that I cannot eat it. And I'm annoyed that it has gotten so ubiquitous - practically everything in the restaurants (here at least) has goat's cheese in it, or on it, so I'm forced to be one of those really annoying diners that waiters hate who question ingredients.

Goat's cheese blech ptui!
Everyone has something that they can't stomach. That's just epigenetics, God, Great Spirit, Gaia, Immunology, Mohammed, Chthulu, whatever. For me it's fried noodles. I can not keep them down or really anything really greasy. So if we ever meet, I'll point out the goat cheese for you and you point out the fried noodles to me.

As the saying goes, raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason I have trust issues...
I feel that pain

And this was a boy raised eating chicken feet...

To this day, the one food my father will not eat in any way, shape, or form is liver.
Ok, Chicken feet taste like the last thing the chicken stepped in and they have cloacas. Liver on the other hand is God's chuckling cherubs. The key is to have fresh liver, either cooked or frozen the day of butchering and deveined immediately (bluntly dissect out the bile ducts)

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
For years, the husband was an unrepentant tofu hater. Hated the texture in all its forms, hated the (lack of) taste.

Tonight, he actually enjoyed it and appreciated what good tofu can be as a flavor sponge in shabu-shabu.

I'm so proud of him. :D

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I live in South Carolina. The default ice tea around here is sweet tea. It's way too sweet for my taste, so I order my tea unsweetened and then add about 1/4 of a packet of sweetener to it.

How can this go awry? When the server brings you your frosty glass of tea, you add your sweetener and then take a big ole drink only to find that it's SWEET TEA that you just put EXTRA sweetener in!

I get shivers thinking about this.

Another bleh story...

When my son was about 2 1/2 he adored grapes. Purple, green, red, whatever they had, he'd pop em in his mouth. We took him to an Italian restaurant and before we could tell him no, he grabbed a black olive and stuffed it in his mouth. That was when he learned that grapes and olives are very, very different.