Got any Dead pov novel recommendations?

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
I'm searching for novels with a pov from a dead person. I've read the lovely bones, hereafter, and I liked my life but I can't find any others. Safe haven by NS has a dead character and I'd even take something like that. Bonus points if the novel resembles the movie GHOST!!!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Yes! But I strongly suspect you won't like it as it's not really in the same vein as the others you mentioned.

"Peace" by Gene Wolfe. It has been described as a literary cenotaph, and rightly so.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... would a couple romance titles with ghostly characters do?

Shelly's Second Chance
(first in the Wish Granters romance series, by L. B. Gshwandter), with a recently-deceased man and woman helping a living lady with her wish while trying to remember their own lives and how they died.

Time Treasure (Sheila Raye), about a modern woman treasure hunter encountering a cursed sea captain and his crew.

There's a dead girl MC in Eoin Colfer's The Wish List, a YA tale about a dead girl who must help an elderly man fulfill his bucket list, but that's probably not what you're going for...

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for contemporary "ghost stories", "Reindeer Moon" by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas may not be your cup of tea. Set 20,000 years ago, the protagonist is the spirit of a young woman that follows her people around.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What about that oldie A Fine and Private Place by Peter Beagle? It's told in omniscient, but part of the story is from the eyes of two resident graveyard ghosts.

Then there's Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos, which has a scene or two at the end with from the protagonist's POV after her death.

Both lean towards the literary.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Not really dead but in coma... sort of... If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! All these are great suggestions and I'll have to sit down and read all of their discriptions.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you're looking for contemporary "ghost stories", "Reindeer Moon" by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas may not be your cup of tea. Set 20,000 years ago, the protagonist is the spirit of a young woman that follows her people around.

For a roughly similar idea aimed at younger audiences, Susan Cooper's Ghost Hawk has a boy Native American who is shot by Pilgrims, his earthbound spirit following a young Pilgrim through the colony's rough history (and lingering through modern times.)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
When Everything Feels Like the Movies by Raziel Reid. It is a HIGHLY gritty YA with a questionably aged dead first person POV character. I truly loved the story. It won the highly prestigious Governor General's award here in Canada. Protesters tried to get it stripped of the reward because of its lewdness. It's brilliant and slightly debaucherous and I would highly recommend it and lead the protest against the protesters.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lincoln in the Bardo has a number of ghost POV characters (all very different) but it's nothing at all like Ghost.

Still, the best book I've read in 2017 thus far.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to recommend Peter S Beagle's A Fine and Private Place, but I see Siri Kirpal got in ahead of me.

Every now and then I read such awful tosh and awful prose from writers that provide me with the confidence to think I can do better. Beagle is not one of those writers. It's been years since I read that novel, but I do remember being blown away by it.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Peony in Love by Lisa See. The main character and narrator is a young woman who's, well, dead for the most of the book. The setting is 17th and 19th century China. (I haven't read it, but sorta kinda plan to.)

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
I just read 'Muted' by Tami Charles, about a girl whose manipulated and assaulted by a musician. It fits into that theme and I really liked it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
In a Heartbeat by Loretta Ellsworth is one of my top recommendations! A YA novel as well.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin is also a YA novel I loved.

I'm not sure if Gayle Forman's If I Stay YA duology counts as the main character isn't exactly dead yet, but more of a ghost watching herself in a coma. The second in the series doesn't have anything to do with the death theme though and is more of a contemporary romance.

Also, I've had The Lovely Bones on my Wishlist forever and can't wait to get around to reading it.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
There's a dead girl MC in Eoin Colfer's The Wish List, a YA tale about a dead girl who must help an elderly man fulfill his bucket list, but that's probably not what you're going for...
I loved The Wish List. So funny.